Will I ever be able to run???

Options
124»

Replies

• 1546mel
    1546mel Posts: 191
    Options
    When i started, literally was a hopping walk i was so slow!!!! Dont worry about speed, worry about the jogging motion and work from there :)
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Keep on with a gradual program like C25K and keep it at your pace even if you have to slow it down. Remember that the C25K program has you running AS SLOWLY AS YOU CAN for the program. They say you'll pick up speed later. Hang in there and it's okay to do it at a slower pace if you need to. All the best to you!

Hang in there, and keep trying! It will eventually get easier! Sounds like your pushing it hard though, which makes all the difference! Good luck!
  • Naynay1980
    Options
    Running was my greatest motivator to change my lifestyle. I began small, treadmill at gym, 5k, 8k, 10k. Now I can run 6 miles without long rest (just long enough to get a drink if needed). This weekend I am running Portland's Hood To Coast. 16.21 miles in 2 days. It has taken several years and alot of training to get to this race but with hard work and determination I have done it. I started at 177 lbs and am now at 147. You can do it if it what you want. Small goals turn into BIG rewards. Hit me up anytime...I love hearing up and coming runners with drive.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    google " low HR training" and go get yourself a good HR monitor with a chest strap.... remember the magic formula...180- your age... keep your HR under that even if that means walking up hills or running at a snails pace. it's not about how fast you are, it's about how far you go...

If you follow this method ( even if it means walking for now) you WILL see improvements... might take a few weeks-months but you will get better.
  • flyingwrite
    Options
    C25K was crazy hard for me when I first started. A minute seemed like agony. I managed to get to week 4 and then, couldn't go up. I realized I was trying to run too fast for the level of fitness I had at the time. I don't know what speed you're running, but slow it down and don't give up. It will get easier. I had never run in my life and claimed to hate running. Now, I LOVE it. It inspires me. It starts my day off the right way. Good luck on your venture. You can do anything you want to if you want it bad enough. Just don't try to be perfect. Do the best YOU can do and improve on that tomorrow. :drinker:
  • cafqueen
    cafqueen Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I thought that my lungs would explode when I first started. It burned so bad! didn't think it would ever get better. but four months in now I can run the 5k and I can carry a conversation while jogging, no laboured breathing. fight through it. job a bit , walk a bit and push yourself!
  • DinaDoh23
    DinaDoh23 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Trust me, it is not easy to start. I honestly did not think I would be able to complete the program. I couldn't believe how hard to was running for 60 seconds at a time. I was so out of shape. I thought it was going to be absolutely impossible to run for 30 minutes consecutively when I looked at the weeks ahead. Was it fun? No way!! Every muscle in my body hurt but I pushed through. A couple of weeks into the program, it got easier. I stuck to the program and finished. I tried to run a 5K just a week after finishing the program. It was a trail run and way more difficult than I expected, but I finished in 38:16. I have run another 5K since then and finished in 33:33. Over 5 minutes off my last race. Now I am planning on running a 5 mile race in a few weeks. I never imagained just a few short months ago, I would ever run a 5K, now I am up to a 5 mile race. Trust me, it is hard but if you keep working at it, you can finish anything you put your mind to. Don't give up. If it takes you longer or you have to walk, listen to your body but keep going and trust me you will get it done!
  • geo1437
    geo1437 Posts: 38
    Options
    I was never a runner, and I still do not consider myself one. Back in march i ened up in the hospital with an infection on the lining around my heart, and tmy heart itself. it was scary. The day i got discharged i couldn't walk 25 feet with out getting winded. The Dr's told me I HAD to start exercising and loose weight. So I started to walk. the first day I only made it maybe 100 yards before i was exhausted, but i kept at. everyday i went a littel farther. after 3 weeks i was able to very slowly jog half mile, a few weeks after that i made it a mile. Then like a dope....i stopped. I fell right back into my old routine.

a little over a month ago i decided that i had to get back to exercising. i didnt like the way i felt, or the way i looked. so i made a choice...i decided to change. i bought and started the insanity work out. I'm not kidding, i thought i was going to drop dead after the warm up to the fit test on day one. i get up every morning a t 5am to do the work out. i go at my own pace. i just finished month 1. during week 3 of the work i had to go way for a family funeral. i did not bring the dvds with me, so i decided to hop on the tread mill at the hotel. I went 4 miles in 38 minutes. is it an olympic record...no, but i have NEVER run 4 miles non stop in my life.

The point is push yourself a little farther every day. go at your own pace. with every step you take today, you are getting that much closer to reaching your goal tomorrow. if you keep putting in the work and the effort i can promise you that one day in the not so distant future you are going to look back and shake your head at yourself with both a sense of amazement and pride. because just a few short weeks ago you were getting "winded" and now you are doing 5k +. And no one did it for you, no helped you finish...you may have gotten support from family and friends, but YOU did all the work...YOU made it the 5k....and i'll be honest, it is one hell of a good feeling.

Good luck and keep pushing...remember SUCCESS only come before WORK in the dictionary
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I would start with walking first. Get comfortable walking long distances first and then work up to doing short intervals of jogging during your walk. It's a very gradual process and your body will need a lot of time to adapt, especially if you have a lot of weight to lose. You CAN run, but it's okay for the process to be a long one. Find what works for you, just remember to keep pushing yourself. Staying in the comfort zone won't get you anywhere either. Best of luck to you :)
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Run as slowly as you can without it being a walk for the run intervals. If it were me, I would just keep repeating week 1 until it seems easier, and then move on to week 2. You can do it! Just go at your own pace. :wink:
  • Villy17
    Villy17 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Programs/agressive_program.htm

I was exactaly the same way at the beginning, I could barely jog for 2mins before being gassed. This program has helped ALOT, it starts off with a lot of walking. It also allows to later to spread out your running/walking ratio's to your liking as long as you put in the required minutes.