Runners- frustrating TMI question

Options
124»

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    That's why I run later in the day. Only thing I can think of is waking up earlier, have a coffee (gets me going lol) or do a few jumping jacks to get the system going.

This ^^^^^

:laugh:

Plus I have two teenagers that I send off to school in the mornings. They have to be at school before my work day even starts. :ohwell:
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Ok, well it sounds like I need to be drinking coffee ahead of time! I am an avid coffee drinker, but I've never tried drinking it before a run. I always just cut the coffee on after I get back....so I wouldn't know if coffee made things move for me (since it happens the second I walk in the door from a run!). Right now, my short runs are 3m, so I'm done in 30 mins, but when the short runs get to be 5 miles, I'm going to HAVE to go before hand. Just sitting on the toilet trying to talk one up, does not work for me. And as you guys obviously know, whether you have to hold it for two miles or 100 yards, its very uncomfortable!!

I also do eat a pretty protein rich diet....I'm just very regular.

Thanks everyone! :)
    Caffeine, actually, was one of the first purported performance enhancing substances to be shown to really work in controlled clinical trials. It helps endurance. Initially, they thought you had to consume the equivalent of, like, 10 cups of strong coffee to get any benefit. Now, i think it is understood that you can get benefit at lower doses.
    There has been some controversy about it, however. Some runners using caffeine have gotten heart palpitations, and maybe worse. That said, I believe many people drink coffee before a run with no ill effects.