What keeps you running?

Options
When you first started (or maybe now) what kept you from slowing your run to a walk when you got tired? What did you think about?

Honestly, I listen to music, and then I think about each time my foot hits the ground and my love handles jiggle. IDK why, not like a grossed out, "eww I don't want them to do that" (even though I don't) I just think about the feeling of my foot hitting the ground and sending a jolt through my body and it generally keeps me going for longer.

You?

Replies

• spotdog14
    Options
    The first mile is always the worse for me, and I just think to my self its only going to hurt for another few feet.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Telling myself "one more minute" over and over again...which later turned into "one more mile"--that ones not so "over and over" again yet, but it usually pushes me to at least keep going for another mile!
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    It also helps me to talk to my dog as if she's the one that's getting tired. lol "come on, just a little further, you got this"
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    music and oddly enough counting but that may be the band geek in me god help me if i ever hear someone clapping out a rythm id stop running correctly and jazz run (hits on toes great for no upper body movement bad for feet)
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but every run I pretend I'm racing, I have this crazy little coach in my head telling me I can do better!! Beating myself and proving things to myself is what keeps me going....oh and that runners high is fabulous after! :)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I log it into MFP BEFORE I go (and yes, I account for the fact that MFP way overestimates calories burned). Then I feel like I have to do it or it'll throw off my predetermined schedule.

Also, my body looked killer last time I was running seriously. I want to get back there!
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    bears
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Law enforcement.

....Dog the Bounty Hunter.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Goals and a great support group. I belong to a run club and often run with my peeps. It is a matter if I am running, just when.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Trying to get home

I always run away from my house, so matter how tired I am, I have two choices, walk or run.

So I end up running, as if I stopped and started walking I'd look like some mental person out walking in shorts in the rain
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Two things:

1 - I keep repeating the phrase "I don't stop when I'm tired I stop when I'm done"
    2 - I pretend a friend of mine, who has always been very encouraging, is running with me, and I don't want to slow him down.
  • ShellyShuey
    Options
    There will be an amazing day when you think -- wait a minute -- NOTHING and I mean nothing is jiggling. Happened to me/amazed.

I run twice as far and twice as long when I don't use music/earphones. No idea why.

It's not the only workout I do, and not my favorite, but it gets the job done.
  • myth4ever
    myth4ever Posts: 372
    Options
    police and dogs......oh police dogs all out sprint!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I have a guy that I'm completely smitten by. I tell him I'm going to go run 10 miles--you'd better believe that I'm going to complete those 10 miles. I guess I'm still in the trying to impress stage. LOL
  • workoutgirl23
    Options
    i listen to loud music while i run. using my ipod. i listen to very loud, angry music, and it keeps me motivated to keep running and push out all my aggressions on the running. i couldn't run with out my music as well.
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    The Dinosaur chasing me.... In my head.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Music, and now "Fat kid can do this. Fat kid can do this. Fat kid can do this..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsXRj89cWa0
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    the voices
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Counting - I used to be on a rowing team, and whenever we were getting tired or reaching the end we would do a "Power 10" or "Power 20" strokes. It translates to about a "Power 50" or "Power 100" steps. For some reason having an end goal in sight helps me (even if I just start counting again when I get to 100 :)
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I imagine I am in first place of a marathon race and someone dressed up in a Ronald McDonald fancy dress costume is about to overtake me...