What keeps you running?

Options

Replies

• cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    The first mile for me is painful. But I know from experience that the endorphins will kick in around the mile mark. Must have some good kicking music also.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I can't run now, because of an injury, but when we had to run laps in school I always pretended I was being chased by a lion to keep running.

But I think you just need to think about why you are running and keep that motivation and your goal clear in your head.
    Also do make sure you stop before you are really in pain. Pain is an indicator, not something to ignore.
  • phillieschic
    Options
    The new size 6 and small clothes in my closet...
  • Spitbubblr
    Options
    I used to stop every minute, but now I have a playlist of songs that mean a lot to me and keep running for the moments they remind me of. It sounds stupid, but it really helps. And it gets comfortable after ten minutes, so I just push through that. You can do it, just stay positive <3
  • sodaisy
    sodaisy Posts: 69
    Options
    I keep telling myself the pain/ache isn't going to get any worst so just stick with it and carry on. Also I think about the food I had during the day and this make me want to run it off.
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Two things:

1 - I keep repeating the phrase "I don't stop when I'm tired I stop when I'm done"
    2 - I pretend a friend of mine, who has always been very encouraging, is running with me, and I don't want to slow him down.

Seriously, me too!!! lol
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    It also helps me to talk to my dog as if she's the one that's getting tired. lol "come on, just a little further, you got this"

Haha mine stops after like 10 minutes, lays down, and just looks at me like "I'm not doing this anymore, you're on your own *kitten*."
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    The feeling that I know is coming at the end of a great run. :) I am new to running, but I'm loving it. This week, for the first time, I was able to run for 30 minutes straight (well, it was 29:39), and it felt awesome.

I give myself a few talks along the way (just a little longer. You're killing it. stuff like that), but mostly I just enjoy my music and my run.
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    My playlist! Upbeat remixes and club music! Lately, it's been a total coincidence each time, because I put the playlist on shuffle every time I use it, but that Bassnectar remix of "Lights" comes on when I get to the point of "oh dear, this is starting to suck"...And that's seemed to work haha.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    The first mile is always the worse for me, and I just think to my self its only going to hurt for another few feet.

Oh ya, the first mile is the hardest, before everything gets all loose and flowing.
    What keeps me going is different depending on if I'm inside or outside. On the treadmill I listen to cardio coach, he keeps me going through intervals with very little talking, just easy prompts to get me moving. I also have to remind myself on the treadmill that it's temporary and soon I will be outside for the next 7-8 months enjoying all outside has to offer.
    If I'm outside I listen to no music and I set visual goals and work toward getting a little further each time. I love love love the way I feel when I'm done, even on days that I feel like I'm gonna barf from pushing it!
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    There is a little spot in my brain that starts to say "You can walk...it won't hurt your. Your body is tired and it needs to slow down. Come on...just a little walk"

So I make the other part of my brain go "RAWR! You can do this! Think of how awesome you'll feel if you run the whole way! Keep going! You got this!"

For real...I hit the second mile mark and this happens every time.
  • arw4
    arw4 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Run with friends! Join a team, club, or bring a pal along.
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I have only just started running again but while I'm running if I want to turn back and head home I have to keep saying to myself you don't want to hate your body forever do you? I want to completely transform my body and exercise is just as important as diet, in my opinion.
  • bbriscoe13
    bbriscoe13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I honestly have to think about something else. If I think about running, I will end up stopping. I have to get my mind thinking about something that is not running so I won't think about what I'm actually doing. I have been running for about 2 years now, and I stil hate it haha.
  • crazy_indeed
    crazy_indeed Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    The first two miles are hard for me, I keep reminding myself that I can get through them....

If this fails, sometimes I just become a b!tch towards myself, if I am on the treadmill I go faster for even thinking about quitting. If I am outside running, I will sprint. A great playlist is very motivating.
  • kristin1493
    kristin1493 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I run a predetermined course outside so knowing that if I slow down its only going to take longer to get home keeps me going at a pretty good pace.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    SIZE 6 JEANS!
  • SabrinaSt
    SabrinaSt Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    with a good playlist, I could run for hours.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Good question...just telling myself that I got this and that I'm not going to get home any faster by walking! I wish I could lose myself in running like a lot of people do. Not to that stage yet...
  • xTenaciousJx
    Options
    proving to myself that I CAN do it. i'm just starting but i'm building endurance....i ran my first 6 miles last saturday and i was so stoked i actually ran for 4.5miles straight and did intervals the rest of the way back...slow jogging and sprint running. i felt amazing!!