Cleanse

Options
2»

Replies

• DfantaBeneFIT
    Options
    benefits to fasting huh? Yes i'm sure my metabolism would love me to do a nice fast....

There are a lot of benefits to fasting. I think that in this country we associate them with a cleanse. Before you do a fast, you should look into it. Fasting isn't a weight loss approach, and shouldn't be considered as such.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19112549
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    "cleanses" that tend to 'move things through' actually clean your system of important vitamins and minerals such as potassium, sodium, magnesium, it offsets your acid/base balance, electrolytes etc.

yep, we've evolved to detox naturally. :) eat your greens and you're clean.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS66jbz_kTqkJvmFu_r9HiakCjSs50FE7DqX_iFqUPLfmzGhSt8h4Eb8hrxmA
  • Hibiscus1984
    Options
    Watching Penn & Teller's Bullsh*t episode on cleansing cured any thoughts I ever had about it. Waste of time and money. Season 5, episode 4.
  • TaoBear
    TaoBear Posts: 10
    Options
    There is a lot of controversy over whether or not cleanses work, or have benefits, or whether they are in fact bad for you. My feeling is that people talk about taxing their kidneys and livers with poor eating and drinking... so doing something beneficial to give those organs a break seems like good sense to me. The cleanses to watch out for are the celebrity-hollywood-crazy-esque ones. The Grapefruit diet, the master cleanse where you drink nothing buy vinegar water.... these are poor choices. They are just an inch away from starving yourself, which will not provide lasting weight loss, and might actually make you sick. A 3-day juice cleanse, where you are still consuming nutrient dense foods (and lots of them!) sounds great! I'm trying to follow Ani Phyo's 15 day Fat Blast Diet. It begins with 3 days of sweet (fruit based) smoothies and savoury (vegetable based, like soup) smoothies. Then on the fourth day foods are reintroduced. I know that I'm not starving, and even if it is low calorie, it's only for 3 days. I have a great book on juice cleanses, but it's a bit old. I'm sure there are new great ones out there! There are also a lot of cleanses available at health and vitamin stores, which include restricted diets... but again, it's only for 3 - 5 - 7 days. So long as you're not always 'cleansing' or 'fasting', it's fine. As with all diets and life changes, just do it with a bit of sense and remember everything in moderation.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Your body cleanses itself. Cleanses are at best a waste of money, at worst harmful.
  • fitQueenbeast
    Options
    To each his/her own. I know what works for me and that's what Im concerned about.

Erica
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    To each his/her own. I know what works for me and that's what Im concerned about.

Erica

I'm being sincere here. How do you know it's working for you?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    what does everyone think about a cleanse. I have heard that it is good to boost your weight loss but really dont know about it. i have thought about doing it but am trying to find out more about it and what is the best type to do.
    it will do nothing to boost weight loss. and there is no such thing as a best type as they are all equally useless.