laundry soap

Options
13»

Replies

• ZoeyRobinson
    Options
    I use soapnuts and make my own. I am allergic to fragrance and most smells give me migraines.

If something needs to be boosted because of smell I use vinegar or borax or even baking soda.
  • ba18ba18a
    Options
    I make my own also, from Borax, baking soda, Zote soap, OxyClean, washing soda, and I add fabric softener in crystal form. Clothes are CLEAN (even got ink pen of my daughter's doll's face; the ink was like 6 months old and I had tried unsuccessfully to get it out at least a dozen times before), soft, and smell good. My husband runs a restaurant and comes home filthy and grease-stained and with that gross kitchen smell and my laundry soap knocks all of that out with only 1 T per load.

This is the recipe I use also. It cleans everything really well. My husband runs a machine shop so his uniforms get pretty bad and they always come out smelling fine.

Instructions can be found here: http://beingcreativetokeepmysanity.blogspot.com/2010/11/homemade-laundry-soap.html
  • nannabannana
    Options
    Duggars recipe for Homemade Laundry Detergent works fine.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Tide w/ Febreeze Sport I think mine is called. I never wear the same gym clothes twice between washes either. gross.

^^Me too
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Tide with Febreeze! I love it. I also air everything out to dry before tossing it in the hamper, it helps prevent the musty smell.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    For me its not about the soap its the fabric softener. I find that snuggle blue sparkle gets out any smell no matter how bad it is and no matter what soap I use. I also follow-up with dryer sheets.
    0007261345189_500X500.jpg
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I am also in the "make my own" camp, though I also use essential oils to help with scent as well as for some of the other benefits of the specific oils I use.
    How is this on skin? My husband and I have thought about making our own detergent, but my son has extremely bad eczema. We have to use "free" everything! Makes it hard to get rid of our smells, especially with both my son and me running every day!
    To answer your question these types of laundry soaps are generally going to be much better than commercial ones for your son's ezcema. Mainly because you can just make it unscented, though, I can recommend some essential oils that you can use for scent that will not only not bother him, but will also help him with the eczema. There is a lot of info to go along with this. So rather than hijack this thread, if anyone is interested in this feel free to message me.
  • Skinny_Jeans_Soon
    Skinny_Jeans_Soon Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Please don't use fabric softener on your workout clothes. Also, I hand wash all of my workout clothes in the mango tango gain and lay flat to dry. They smell amazing when they are done!
  • smtillman2
    smtillman2 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Please don't use fabric softener on your workout clothes. Also, I hand wash all of my workout clothes in the mango tango gain and lay flat to dry. They smell amazing when they are done!

I'm sorry, why shouldn't you use fabric softner on your workout clothes?
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Very nice, I was curious about this. I cannot get the stink out of gym clothes.
  • Kristan_Forsey
    Kristan_Forsey Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I make my own. It's a lot less chemicals and WAY cheaper. If they're extra sweaty put I vinegar in the bleach dispenser - works great and is much easier on both your clothes and the machine!

Could you post your recipe?
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options

I know seriously! I have been for years from softball uniforms to sports bras. I love it because when I start working out instead of smelling stinky me the fabric softener comes out a little and its refreshing instead of all musky!! Mmm!
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options

The chemicals in fabric softener are ones that break down the material, hence the softness. If you are using technical clothing it will not last as long, especially if it has any stretch or wool in it. Most tags specify not to use fabric softener. By all means if you aren't concerned about how long it lasts I'd say use it.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I make my own. It's a lot less chemicals and WAY cheaper. If they're extra sweaty put I vinegar in the bleach dispenser - works great and is much easier on both your clothes and the machine!

Could you post your recipe?

One large box of baking soda, one box of washing soda (found in laundry detergent aisle), one box of 20 mule borax (also in laundry aisle), one bar of fels naptha grated finely with a cheese grater (or 2 bars of your favorite soap....I use an organic oatmeal based one). Stir it all together...you'll want bucket probably. ONLY USE 1 TBSP per load. That's hard to get use to at first.

This will not give any suds or scent. The suds in commercial soap are added for appearances and just extra chemicals. If you want scents you can add drops of essential oil. I often add 1 drop orange and 1 drop lavender into the powder when I put it in the machine dispenser.

edit: If you prefer liquid detergent it too is very easy to make. If you Google homemade laundry detergent you'll find tons of recipes. They are all very similar. You can also make dishwasher detergent and most other cleansers. Definitely recommend checking it out. The recipe above costs me about $11 and lasts about a year.
  • brooke432
    Options
    Will try this!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options

If they are a wicking fabric, fabric softener is like wax, it is coating the material to make it feel smooth and soft, and by doing this the softener will also “coat in” the wicking function so it wont wick as well.