What do you WANT to hear?

Options
I've read a few threads about weird "compliments" that people have gotten from friends and family who've noticed they've lost weight. Things like "a gust of wind could blow you away!" and "where'd the rest of you go?" -- things like that.

My question is, what do you WANT people to say when they notice you've lost weight? Should everyone say "you look great!" and leave it at that? Should everyone just mind their own business and never comment on anyone's weight loss? Does anyone out there appreciate even weird compliments?

Replies

• Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    anything really...i just want to hear...

(oh...that wasn't what you were asking...sorry)
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    Weird compliments sometimes do not always sound like compliments...they can have a creepy, rude, snarky, or mean tone and context to them. Some of the weird complements can even be hilarious to hear. It's these odd sounding, etc compliments that really throw people off.

I really don't think you needed to start a new thread for this...commenting on the other ones would've been fine.
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I agree with you! I love those weird ones, my mom said to me the other day that she thought I could stop losing weight now or I would start looking all skin and bones like an aunt I have (who lost quite a bit of weight but still looked healthy to me!). I figure that I love food too much to ever get to the place where a strong gust of wind would blow me away, but if someone actually said that about me I'd probably be super happy!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options
    No. You can't win with some of the people here. They're never happy, so they can say "I'm never happy." It's a whole victim mentality. Waiting for someone else to notice them and read their mind.
  • Pedalpush
    Pedalpush Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I always like people to ask me "What are you doing to lose weight?!" I like the idea that I can impart the notion that they too can do it! And also educate that it's not a magic pill or diet. Simple calories in, calories out, movin' the a** God gave me...
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    It's not that I want to hear anything specific..or anything at all. I mean a simple hey, I've noticed you've lost weight - good work will work for me. Sometimes people just don't think before they speak and say stupid things like wow you're not as fat as you used to be (not said to me personally). But really..why would you say something like that? If you don't know how to approach weight loss of a coworker, friend, or family member then just don't say anything. My coworker likes to ask me frequently if I've lost weight. She simply says: Have you lost weight? and smiles. That's good enough for me.
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I had a co-worker recently call me "the incredible shrinking woman". I loved it. Mostly I just hear that I really look great and that the weight loss is really obvious. I love hearing that!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    "You look great".
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    No. You can't win with some of the people here. They're never happy, so they can say "I'm never happy." It's a whole victim mentality. Waiting for someone else to notice them and read their mind.

So very true.

I see people complaining about every compliment they've received. "You look great!" "Oh so I didn't look good before?!"

Some people need to be miserable. Let them.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I posted on that thread. Someone told me I look like a stick. I'm sorry, but I seriously fail to see how that is a compliment? How is getting told that you need to go eat two burritos a compliment? Cause that's been said to me before, too.

Those are not compliments, they are rude.
  • rwisner
    rwisner Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    anything really...i just want to hear...

(oh...that wasn't what you were asking...sorry)

Agreed!
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I really don't think you needed to start a new thread for this...commenting on the other ones would've been fine.

Thanks for your efforts to keep the internet organized. I'll keep that in mind.
  • PinkEnvyx
    PinkEnvyx Posts: 172
    Options
    Anything one says is a reminder I had to loss weight and didn't look as good before so I don't care if it's is verbally acknowledged personally.

So, Nothing a simple look that says you like is nice, maybe a thumbs up.

I did post my success story on this site so maybe send me a message and not say something I don't have time to
    soak in before reacting or seeing how I feel about it lol HAHA Jokes
  • P90XBowler
    P90XBowler Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Got one at last time from a co worker in my building, she said I was looking good and slim.. wohoo good enough for moi :D
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    It's not necessarily the words that are said. It's the tone, and the person they are coming from. In the thread you're talking about, many of those would have been fine in different circumstances.
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options

Thanks for your efforts to keep the internet organized. I'll keep that in mind.

Good :P
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    I've read a few threads about weird "compliments" that people have gotten from friends and family who've noticed they've lost weight. Things like "a gust of wind could blow you away!" and "where'd the rest of you go?" -- things like that.

My question is, what do you WANT people to say when they notice you've lost weight? Should everyone say "you look great!" and leave it at that? Should everyone just mind their own business and never comment on anyone's weight loss? Does anyone out there appreciate even weird compliments?

Glad I could inspire you! :laugh:

People can say whatever they would like regarding compliments... it's when they go in a direction that isn't NICE that it's an issue, you know "If you don't have nothing nice to say don't say nothin' at all"... or when they think they are being funny but it turns out to be a backhanded compliment that people take offense. Most times compliments (REAL ONES) are very much appreciated. :flowerforyou:
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    i want to hear that i am beautiful.
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    i want to hear that i am beautiful.

I think that's all anyone wants to hear...especially after working so hard for it.
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'd prefer "you look beautiful" without my weight being addressed since I'm already at the lower end of a healthy BMI. Compliments after someone already looks fit and good could easily trigger disordered thinking towards their body if they have that 'ED gene' in their blood (speaking from experience here).

I'd say in general - if someone looks obese or if they are overweight and they seem to have a really healthy and nonrestrictive attitude towards weight loss, it's awesome to compliment someone. But if they are at a normal weight (like no more than 20 pounds overweight), I would really think twice about saying anything about their loss other than "you look great! are you doing anything differently?" or something along those lines. That's just my opinion :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!