Greedy People Make Me Sick!

Options
This will be my first initial discussion post since joining MFP in December 2011, but yes… I am going to go there…
Quick backdrop- I work in an office environment with mostly women. I love to test my hand in baking new things, and instead of having all of those delicious treats tempting me (or going bad) at home, I bring them in to work to share with my coworkers. On these occasions, I will either put a note on the item or walk around and let everyone know they are available.

Yesterday, I baked some German Chocolate cupcakes for one of my coworkers’ birthday. I brought them in to work today and planned on waiting for her to get in before we wished her a happy birthday and all shared the cakes. When she came in and I wished her a Happy Birthday, we proceeded to the kitchen where (out of the 12 cupcakes) we found 4 remaining.
Is it wrong of me to be completely pissed off? I mean… I just believe that people should respect each other’s things. I have NO problem ALWAYS bringing in items for everyone, but this situation has me doubting I will ever do it again. I would NEVER take something that was not directly offered to me. Greediness!

Also… I get so flippin mad when I come into work and these women start talking about how I’m “boney” and “skinny”. I am far from either of those things! Coming from a family were 9 out of 10 family members are obese, I try so very hard to watch what I eat and work out all the time. For these particular people (whom I know are lazy which causes them to be overweight) to say those things while sneaking my cupcakes out of the kitchen makes me sick!

What do you think? Am I wrong?

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I think that sharing is very nice. I do find that people are strangly greedy with free food, however in every office environment I've worked if it's in the kitchen or in the break room it's fair game unless there's a note on it specifically indicating that it is off limits. If it's at someone's desk or in the center of a department it's only available when offered.

At my old job I would make intricatly decorated gingerbread men. Each one took a lot of time to decorate so I did not make extras. I sent out an email saying that there were G-men on the back table and to please be considerate as I'd only made one for everyone. The first person back at the table took 3, and then went back for a 4th a little later. The next year I put one on everyone's desk, problem solved.

I'm trying to figure out the purpose of your last paragraph.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Sharing is nice, but I never leave food unattended for this reason. If it's sitting there available with no note, it's fair game in my office. It's just how people are. You kinda either have to expect it (which does totally suck), or control the situation by not leaving anything unattended
  • KatieDelamatie
    Options
    No purpose of the last paragraph really... Just venting I guess... :explode:
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    One time I left some cookies out with a note saying "please don't eat, I sneezed on these." (I really hadnt,but wanted to see what would happen).... there was one left 3hrs later. So gross.
  • kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Options
    Although greedy people do make me sick too, as others said, it is fair game if you put it in the office kitchen without a note. I will say that I have seen people back at the office kitchen taking 4-5 cookies out of the basket...that is greedy.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Did you have a note on it? I would only call it greedy if one person ate all of them. I work at a high school. Food is fair game if left unattended with no note (coaches will eat anything!).
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    If you left them in a public kitchen without a note on them saying "For Blah's bday, do not eat"...well...those cupcakes didn't stand a chance, IMO.

You leave anything in my kitchen at my work and if you aren't clear if it's for a specific reason or person or time, people will eat it...cuz they think it was left in the kitchen for people to enjoy.
  • KatieDelamatie
    Options
    All very valid points! I just assumed... oh well... I'm cooling down now.
    And yes... It was greedy because noone would fess up. So it couldn't have been more than a couple of people eating eight cupcakes...
    I learned my lesson anyway... :happy:
  • macpatti
    Options
    And yes... It was greedy because noone would fess up. So it couldn't have been more than a couple of people eating eight cupcakes...

Wow. Yeah, that's greedy for them to eat 4 each. It's immature not to "own it" either. Sounds like the kids in my house when something is missing. "No one" took it and "no one" knows what happened to it.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    shoulda kept em' at your desk. Oh well, now you know.
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    I think they were fair game. They always know you bring food, appreciation is them eating it, not asking you to eat it.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    gee, we must work at the same place :)
  • macpatti
    Options
    gee, we must work at the same place :)

It was YOU who ate her cupcakes???
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    If you left them in a public kitchen without a note on them saying "For Blah's bday, do not eat"...well...those cupcakes didn't stand a chance, IMO.

You leave anything in my kitchen at my work and if you aren't clear if it's for a specific reason or person or time, people will eat it...cuz they think it was left in the kitchen for people to enjoy.

Yep.
  • jenwalton
    jenwalton Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    This kind of thing happens all the time in my office, too! It is INFURIATING!!!! But I agree - if you didn't put a note on it, people will assume it's fair game. Not fair, totally gross, but... human nature nonetheless.

Once, my friend put her birthday cake in our office fridge (without a note) to take to a birthday dinner after work. At 5 p.m., she went to get it - only to find an empty tray.

People are disgusting.

There are certain women who hover around the office kitchen at 1 p.m. every day, in case there are leftovers from various department or client lunch meetings. My friend calls them the "Seagulls", LOL!
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    This is a huge pet peeve for me. Our church has baked goods in a kitchen area after services. They are free, donated by women who bake them and bring them in. 4 or 5 women. They can only bake so much. There is a congregation of over 300. First, would it kill more people to contribute? But second and most irritating are the people who take a plate and fill it up with one or two of everything. Screw the other 299 people behind them. Or let their kids go through and take 3 cupcakes. I don't eat the stuff, but I always tell my grandkids, choose one item so there is enough for others to have some as well. I want to slap the ones waddling to their table with their plate piled high with everything they can cram on it, knowing the people in the back of the line aren't going to get anything. What the Hell is wrong with people? (Obviously, I need to spend more time in the service!)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    All very valid points! I just assumed... oh well... I'm cooling down now.
    I learned my lesson anyway... :happy:

There will come a time when you go to get your tastey lunch out of the fridge only to find it missing, or a bite taken out of it or some such thing. People have the general mentality of "public domain, publicly owned." Don't let this stop you from the joy of making what you want and sharing it, just your approach in how you share it. Besides, there were still 4 little cup cakes lefft, so it's not like she didn't get one, you just didn't get the presentaiton you wanted.
  • KatieDelamatie
    Options
    I think they were fair game. They always know you bring food, appreciation is them eating it, not asking you to eat it.

That makes no sense...
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    i don't think they're GREEDY if you put the cupcakes in a common space. That generally means they're fair game. Your bad not theirs. Sheesh get over yourself.
    It's not gross,nor something to get upset about. It's the rule of thumb in 9/10 environments like that.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    If you bring something like that in to my work, people assume it's fair game unless you mark it with your name. Even if you bring ur lunch from a restaurant and put it in the fridge, you better mark it or it will be gone