Food Choices...on a strict budget

Options
13»

Replies

• bekkaL85
    bekkaL85 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you live, but if you shop anywhere other than Aldi..you are paying to much for food. Sure it's generic food, but the brand name companies are the ones who make these products. I have never been able to taste the difference.

Buy cheese by the brick and not pre-shredded. It will save you money if you shred it at home. If you don't have a cheese grater, you can get one for about $10 or so for a metal box grater that will last until your grandkids graduate college.

Alot of the times, chicken will go on sale. And usually it's the good kind: boneless and skinless. Put some in the fridge and some in the freezer. Meat lasts for awhile in the freezer.

Pasta is cheap, and so is rice. Eaten in moderation...well...it is very filling if you add some chicken and veggies to it. Pour pasta sauce over your kids' portion and they don't really know the difference.

I use cereal instead of chips to curb crunchy cravings. You pay less for most of the big bags, and you eat less calories if you get the right kind. They also don't get all broken when transporting.

If you have a farmer's market near your house, go to it. They usually are cheaper. The one by my house also has a sales section with fruit and veggies that are just short of going bad. If you eat them in a day or two you save some money.

Ground turkey is cheaper than ground beef, and healthier for you. Don't tell your kids that you switched..and trust me, they won't know.

NEVER BUY FOOD PRE CUT! Like apples. You are paying more for no reason.

Go to stores that have you bag your own food. It takes a little more time for you when shopping, but because you bag your own stuff, the prices are down.

I only have my husband and myself to buy for (no kids) but we eat on a $40 budget a month.
  • ababyjane
    ababyjane Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    someone mentioned it, but I also like the greek yogart. I mix it with oatmeal,nuts and even my kashi cereal. I dont drink much milk. But have started eating the string cheese also. I have the problem of getting too much protein. Still trying to get used to the well balanced meals. Just been at this for couple weeks, so still work in progress.
  • iWILLbeFit062012
    iWILLbeFit062012 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I would cut out the animal crackers and cheese its for you and your kids. There's no nutritional value there and they're expensive. Add in fruits and veggies for snacks instead. Chicken, ground turkey breast, fish, string cheese, greek yogurts are all good healthy sources of protein.

Yes! You will save money by cutting back on the processed/boxed foods. Buy fresh veggies and fruit instead, and stick to what is in season for better prices. Dairy, meats, fish, and nuts all have good protein and healthy fats. If you and your kids like chicken nuggets, make your own by using herbs/spices you have in your pantry or get generic shake 'n bake. I did this for my daughter and she loved it! There are many boxed/frozen meals like hamburger helper, chicken nuggets, pizza, etc. that you can make yourself for less $$ in the long run. As another poster mentioned, look for butcher deals in the meat dept. and cook and/or freeze before the exp. date. Best of luck to you!
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have another question, which yogurt is better. I tried Yoplait strawberry cheesecake yogurt and I honestly did not like the taste. I have resorted to eating frozen yogurt because regular yogurt was not good.
    Greek yogurt has more protein than regular yogurt. I always buy the big tubs of plain greek yogurt at the Costco (about $5) and spoon a bit into a bowl and mix with peanut butter and cereal (generally granola but whatever is on hand). In a pinch, you could add some honey or stevia if you like it sweet (my husband adds chocolate chips :-) Kids seem to enjoy peanut butter yogurt, too.
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Also, look to see if you have an Aldi store near you. It RULES.
    http://www.aldi.com/

Aldi is da bomb!!

Bumping for later!
  • jadums
    jadums Posts: 22
    Options
    I've been working on meals that I can make in great quantity and a low price so that no only can I pull meals quickly from the freezer, but I know what to buy when it's on sale. I try to combine a meat with a bean/lentil to keep protein high, fat content low, and costs down. Generally, I aim to spend about $1 on canned goods and $2/lb on meat/beans. I live in Canada so I don't know if the pricing will be the same. I also buy things in bulk (like rice, onions and carrots).

Here are some cheap recipes that I use regularly (keep in mind that you can alter the spices to match your flavour preference):

Pork Stew - 14 portions - 1 cup each

Chopped Onions 2 bulbs
    Chopped celery 2c
    Chopped carrots 2c
    Diced Tomatoes 796ml can 4 cans
    Canned Peaches and Cream Corn 1 can
    Canned Black Beans 1 can
    Garlic Powder 2 T (optional)
    Cumin 1 T
    Coriander 1T
    Oregano 1T
    Paprika 2 T
    Pork Loin roast/stewing meat 1kg

Serve with Jasmin Rice 1/4c / adult / meal

1. Brown all sides of the pork roast in a hot pan so that the outsides are golden brown.
    2. Place pork roast in a crock pot on high.
    3. Add everything else but 2 cans of tomatoes. If you are worried about spices, then hold back and add more later.
    4. Cook until the pork roast can be pulled apart by forks - about 6 hours.
    5. Add everything into a very large pot (or half the ingredients over two pots) and add the remaining 2 cans of tomatoes. Adjust spices.
    6. Freeze meal portions in tuppaware containers. (1 c/adult, 1/2c/child would be my guess)
    7. Serve with rice

Red Lentil & Beef Sloppy Joes - 8 adult portions
    Onions (chopped) 2
    Ground Beef 1 lb
    Garlic Powder 1T
    Diced tomaotes 2 cans
    Dry Red Lentils 1 cup
    Ketchup 1/2 cup
    Cider vinegar 2T
    Worcestershire sauce 1T
    Ben's Hamburger Buns 8
    Olive Oil Margarine

1. Sweat onions in a bit of olive oil or margarine.
    2. Add ground beef and cook until brown. Drain excess fat.
    3. Add remaining ingredients and simmer on med (to med low) for 10-15 minutes or until lentils are tender.
    4. Serve on toasted hamburger bun halves with side salad or green vegetable.
    5. Freeze meal portions in freezer.

(adjust lentil content to your own preference)

Crockpot Chili: 10 adult portions

Ground Beef/turkey/pork 1 lb
    Red Kidney Beans 1 can
    Diced Tomatoes 796ml/can 2 cans
    Onions chopped 3c
    Carrots choped 2c
    Celery chopped 2c
    Cumin 1T
    Cayenne 2t (optional)
    Paprika 1T
    Oregano 1T
    Garlic Powder 1T (optional)

1. Brown beef in a pan and drain excess oil.
    2. Add all ingredients into a crockpot on high.
    3. Cook until well combined - 2 to 3 minimum, 6-8 hours is better.
    4. Taste and adjust spices. Serve with rice.
    5. Freeze meal portions.
  • jadums
    jadums Posts: 22
    Options
    Spaghetti & Homemade Meatballs

Ground beef 1lb
    Garlic powder 2T
    Oregano 1T (optional)
    Egg 1
    Salt & pepper to taste (1t each)

70g/pasta (1/4 box) /adult / meal ($1/box of pasta)
    1 can pasta sauce (may not need all) / meal (should be $1)

1. Mix all ingredients in a bowl until well combined. Doing this by hand is easiest.
    2. Divide meat in half.
    3. Divide halfed meat in half again so you have four equal portions.
    4. Divide each of the four portions into four more equal portions.
    5. You now have 16 meatball portions of 1oz each :) You can make 32 smaller meatballs if you prefer.
    6. Roll meatballs into a ball.
    7. Brown meatballs in an oiled pan in batches of 8 so as not to steam them. (They can alternatively be baked in the oven).
    8. Serve 3-4 1 oz. meatballs/adult with 70g pasta and canned tomato sauce.
    9. Freeze meal portions of meatballs with pasta sauce. Cook pasta fresh each meal.
  • desirae1976
    desirae1976 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Beans! You can prepare them yourself or buy them canned, and they're inexpensive. Your kids may not like them if they are finicky, but they'll help you up your fiber and protein for a low cost.