1200 CAN'T be enough

Options

Replies

• mea90334
    mea90334 Posts: 53
    Options
    That is how much i get and if you do go over you will still lose weight just not as fast as 1200
  • woogy1956
    woogy1956 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I started tracking here in may... 1200 was not enough for me so I kept my goal at 1200 but usually eat over. Sometimes way over and sometimes just a little over. Then there is the occasional day that I eat a little under. I am still losing weight although it is a little slow. 10 pounds since the middle of may. Oh, and exercise as much as possible, that helps.
  • mea90334
    mea90334 Posts: 53
    Options
    I have been doing this for like 2 weeks and have lost 6 pounds
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Yup too low!!! I didnt lose a thing until I upped my calories then the weight came off. I couldnt figure out how I was maintaining at 1200.........it was because it wasnt enough!!
  • enliven_mal
    enliven_mal Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Eat more to weigh less!
    Check out that board, and read this :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/680246-tdee-bmr-what-they-are-and-what-to-do-with-them

oh! and this!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It will help explain why you are so hungry!

I started gaining weight when I dropped to 1200 calories (I work out 4+ times a week and have a lightly active job). You need to eat. Your body needs fuel.
    :)
  • Fenestra13
    Fenestra13 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I can only see one day (wed Aug 15th) in your food diary. I know today may not have been like other days, but one thing you might try to do to not feel hungry is eat more protein. MFP sets protein levels pretty low. I've been trying to eat 70-120 grams of protein a day, usually hitting about 90, and have both felt less hungry and lost more weight. I've done this at the expense of carbs, and have tried to cut out the carbs that aren't so whole grain. So for instance, I have been eating burrito bowls with little to no rice and no tortilla, not eating the bun but eating a plain black bean burger or chicken breast, etc. You have a fair amount of carbs, and you may find making a change in the balance will help.

Also, I have found that days I eat more sodium I feel a lot more hungry. I added sodium as one of the macronutrients I can see when I log in, and that's really helped me cut back sodium and feel less hungry. I love pickles, and was eating too many! And I found that there is sodium in a lot of things I didn't expect to have it. It's easy to track, and may be worth a try.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I'd die on 1200 calories and I'm 4'11, soon to be 24. I think that it's really not enough for someone your age. You should be eating back exercise calories in addition to the 1200 calories.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    it is enough

then why am I starving?

Because you're used to eating more.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    it is enough

then why am I starving?

Because you're used to eating more.

Or more logical is that it's NOT enough
  • jahall76
    jahall76 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    It does work for some, but for me it was not enough. I started at 1200 and just couldn't stay at that goal. I adjusted my weight loss goal to 1/2 lb per week and my calories are now at 1400. I find that those extra 200 calories make a big difference. I also eat back the majority of my exercise calories. IE. On workout days, if I burn 200-300 cal, then I typically eat between 1600-1700 cal per day. That is an entirely different topic. You'll find a lot of posts and topics about the right amount of calories, eating back exercise cal, etc ,etc if you search.

Good luck!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    The cookie cutter 1200 diet is not for everyone nor should it be sustained for lengthy periods of time. There is an inverse relationship between the degree of the deficit and its consecutive adherence. Generally, the larger the deficit (from both calorie restriction and exercise), the shorter the diet should be due to a greater impact on metabolic functioning and hormones that regulate it. For instance, an average-sized person with a massive 50% deficit below maintenance should only adhere to this for about 4 days before upping calories to something more sustainable - say a moderate deficit of 25%. Even at small deficits, where the hormonal impact is marginal, it can still bring problems if you maintain the diet at that deficit for far too long.

Anyway, I suggest you read these links by Lyle Mcdonald regarding setting deficits and the pros and cons of each option:

How to Estimate Maintenance Caloric Intake
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-to-estimate-maintenance-caloric-intake.html

Setting the Deficit – Small, Moderate or Large
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/setting-the-deficit-small-moderate-or-large.html

Why Big Caloric Deficits and Lots of Activity Can Hurt Fat Loss
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
  • amrita0286
    Options
    I had the same problem when I started so I knew I needed to exercise so I would be able to eat a bit more. I find that my body is satisfied if I eat around 1400. So I made it a habit to burn some calories with exercise so I was still hitting a net of around 1200.

Also, what are you eating? I found that processed, packaged foods and even foods that I didn't cook myself tend to make me feel even more hungry after a couple of hours. When I actually started cooking my meals, it was amazing how much food I could eat and still be within my calories for the day.

Like avoid eating junk foods and opt for raw veggies and fruits. They typically are so low in calories that it's great :)

Also soups always fill me up so for lunch maybe have a big bowl of soup?
    For snacks, try getting jello (the sugar free one is only around 5 calories!) , rice cakes (they even have rice chips now so it's cool) and of course you can't go wrong with fruits and veggies.

Make sure you're getting your water in, I use to sit at my desk with snacks and now I find that if I'm drinking water throughout the day I'm less likely to snack on junk. Keep a water bottle with you when you're out or working at your desk. It helps :)

Plan out your meals so you know what you're going to eat, it definately helps me out. Figure out what satisfies you. I use to have cereal in the mornings with milk, which I do sometimes but I find an egg white omelette with 1 slice of toast fills me up more. And it's less in calories!

Oh and like everyone else has already said, start off with 1400 calories and then work from there. If 1200 still seems way to less and you are hungry, then eat a little more.

Good luck :) think positive you can do it !
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I started at 232 and ate 1200 for 7 months. I lost 60 lbs. I'm eating more now, but my goals are different now. My focus now is more fitness (with weight loss). I'm at 168 and eating between 1600-1800 on workout days and 1500 on non work out days. I'm burning 500-700 in the gym 5-6 days a week.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I'll add two more notes: the greater the overall deficit, the more important it is to 1)consume high amounts of protein [minimum of 1g per lb of lean body mass]; and 2)engage in moderate to heavy resistance training to preserve muscle tissue or minimize lean muscle loss. Additionally, if at a deficit larger than 25% below maintenance, make sure the bulk of the deficit is coming from calorie restriction and not exercise.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    As you can see.. all sorts of advice. but, you can't argue with what works. If you feel too hungry right now. Up your calories and see if you lose or not. If you don't..reduce them YOu could also add exercise and stay at 1200 and eat back some of your workout calories so you can eat more. Try one of those two things.

I'm eating 1200..and it is a challenge..and I'm learning tricks along the way. I"m going to try and flex my calories..just because I think it is a good idea. you just have to do your own thing..and see what works. YOu'll go crazy taking everyone's advice.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    here's the thing. I eat protein with every meal and veggies. I'm not bored right now I'm seriously hungry.
    You could easily eat twice as much protein in a day, and cut the carbs accordingly.

You have a high carbohydrate intake, you'll get blood sugar swings that make you feel hungry...

eat a lot of carbs
    insulin responds to control blood sugar
    blood sugar falls too low
    you feel hungry
    you eat more carbs
    repeat until..........
  • HogSandwich
    HogSandwich Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    That BMR link wigs me out. Tells me I should be doing 2344 calories a day! I mostly struggle to hit 1200! At 5'6, 28 and 220lbs, 2344 seems insane!

I'll never get a proper grip on how this works.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    That BMR link wigs me out. Tells me I should be doing 2344 calories a day! I mostly struggle to hit 1200! At 5'6, 28 and 220lbs, 2344 seems insane!

I'll never get a proper grip on how this works.

The point is, you can eat more than 1200, and you probably should. You have to give your body proper nutrition, and it's hard to do at 1200 calories. If you don't want to eat 2344, you probably don't have to. But try increasing your calories with healthy fats and protein, and I bet you'll feel awesome while still losing weight at a healthy rate.
  • KALMdown
    KALMdown Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I can only see one day food diary, but the Peter Pan PB is high in sugar and calories. 100 cal a TBsp. UGH I'd be starving too. And was the fruit snacks one of those gummie snacks? Then once again more sugar than sustenance. Go heavy on fresh fruits and veggies and lean meats.

Plus, I now work out so I can eat MORE!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Use the calculator in the link provided on the first page, or this one: http://thefitgirls.com/tdee-calculator.aspx

Or any. Once you know your BMR and your TDEE numbers, eat somewhere in between. Many people on MFP are consistently losing weight, without being hungry, using this method. Since I started about 6 weeks ago, I haven't felt hungry ever. Not once, except in the mornings right before breakfast.

Don't let yourself be hungry. Eat enough, and your body will thank you.

ETA: There is a 900 calorie difference between my BMR and my TDEE since I started exercising regularly. I eat right at my BMR, or a little more on an intensive exercise day. (depending on my level of hunger) It makes no sense to eat at 1200 calories if your BMR is 1500. You will lose too quickly and it could backfire on you.