Paleo diet? Your thought?

Options

Replies

• rusialeelee
    Options
    one of my friends have changed his diet and lifestyle to paleo for to months now. He just wanted to be healthy, but ended up losing ~10lb. His rule is to eat anything (non paleo too) during the weekend in social settings (since he goes out to eat a lot during the weekends). One time he ate non paleo for more than a weekend.. like two extra days and he gained about 8 lbs in 2 days. So..... unless you can stick with it it's not an effective weight loss plan... and this goes for any other diet as well, i guess.
  • viad25720
    viad25720 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I don't like to think of Paleo as a diet, but more like a template. Start with the basics. Give it 30 days (to cleanse out food additives that can cause addiction), then if you want add back a few things at a time to see how you really feel eating them (quality dairy or sourdough bread, etc). Its a great way to start, but personalization is key. Some people find that an Oreo just doesn't taste the same after eating entirely real food, like a gorgeous juicy steak, sweet potato, and veggie dinner, with bowl of berries as more divine appealing dessert choice

Now that there are more and more people thriving on the Paleo/Primal way of eating, there is more and more information out there to help troubleshoot diet. Some people do great with little fruit, some people with more fruit. Just like with anything else, its trial and error.

But you dont tell someone recovering from crack addiction that a little crack is ok. And grain and sugar can be like crack. (the reason fruit can be seen as demonized is mostly by those who suffer severe sugar addiction and use fruit as their addiction, causing them them to binge on other sugars eventually, same goes for grain)

My dietitian would kill me if i ate a steak, sweet potato, veggies, berries and dessert! Too much. Whatever works for you though. We all have to do our own thing. I keep my carbs in a range she set for me just for energy and health reasons. I do the myplate recommendations. Being on a "diet" is different then living a healthful lifestyle. That's my goal. Plus no dairy? I hear the breaking bones and osteoporosis diagnosis in all the people on this diets future! Lol. But really there ate calcium supplements but food is still by far best way. Dairy being key.
    Just remember: total health instead of what a scale and tag on your pants read. Happiness!
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    A 4 oz grilled grass-fed steak, half a sweet potato with pastured butter, maybe a dash of cinnamon, some zucchini sauteed in butter or coconut oil...Yum. Berries for dessert. Yes, please.

Of course, don't look at my diary tonight. Damned you, Five Spice Chinese restaurant and your crab rangoons that are making my belly gurgle! Why didn't I just order shrimp with veggies!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I don't like to think of Paleo as a diet, but more like a template. Start with the basics. Give it 30 days (to cleanse out food additives that can cause addiction), then if you want add back a few things at a time to see how you really feel eating them (quality dairy or sourdough bread, etc). Its a great way to start, but personalization is key. Some people find that an Oreo just doesn't taste the same after eating entirely real food, like a gorgeous juicy steak, sweet potato, and veggie dinner, with bowl of berries as more divine appealing dessert choice

Now that there are more and more people thriving on the Paleo/Primal way of eating, there is more and more information out there to help troubleshoot diet. Some people do great with little fruit, some people with more fruit. Just like with anything else, its trial and error.

But you dont tell someone recovering from crack addiction that a little crack is ok. And grain and sugar can be like crack. (the reason fruit can be seen as demonized is mostly by those who suffer severe sugar addiction and use fruit as their addiction, causing them them to binge on other sugars eventually, same goes for grain)

My dietitian would kill me if i ate a steak, sweet potato, veggies, berries and dessert! Too much. Whatever works for you though. We all have to do our own thing. I keep my carbs in a range she set for me just for energy and health reasons. I do the myplate recommendations. Being on a "diet" is different then living a healthful lifestyle. That's my goal. Plus no dairy? I hear the breaking bones and osteoporosis diagnosis in all the people on this diets future! Lol. But really there ate calcium supplements but food is still by far best way. Dairy being key.
    Just remember: total health instead of what a scale and tag on your pants read. Happiness!

She said she ate berries FOR dessert, not and dessert.

Paleo is a healthful lifestyle.

Calcium is not all that necessary for strong bones as they preach. However, if you are eating enough dark green leafy vegetables, there is sufficient calcium intake and a much higher rate of absorption. Vitamin D is the most important factor and if you spend 20-30 minutes getting some sun each day, you have reached that goal.

Dairy is not necessary by any shape, form or fashion.

Question everything that the government says you need as they don't know what they are talking about in the least.
  • wrbaker503
    Options
    I've been paleo for three years. I have lost 150 pounds on the paleo diet, my cholesterol is very low, my blood sugar is always stable, I have gone off all prescription medications, my asthma has disappeared, and my mainstream doctor wholeheartedly supports the diet. I will live very happily like this for a long time.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I've been paleo for three years. I have lost 150 pounds on the paleo diet, my cholesterol is very low, my blood sugar is always stable, I have gone off all prescription medications, my asthma has disappeared, and my mainstream doctor wholeheartedly supports the diet. I will live very happily like this for a long time.

WTG!!!
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    In the sense that it keeps you from eating junk, it's a good thing. It's not a magic pill, and grains and fruit aren't the evil killer that some paleo purists make them out to be. In a sense, it's like IF. Not magic, just helps you eat healthier and to meet your nutritional goals.
    What paleo purist thinks fruit is bad?

A while back there was a discussion here where one of the paleo folks said "fruit is nothing more than sacks of sugar". None of the other paleo people disagreed with him, so I assumed that was there stance.
  • jadums
    jadums Posts: 22
    Options
    I would supplement with a multivitamin and speak to a dietician or your doctor about the paleo diet before you make it a lifestyle change. Just off of the top of my head, I would expect calcium to be a difficult nutrient to get and therefor, you would need to supplement for it.
  • ipag
    ipag Posts: 137
    Options
    In the sense that it keeps you from eating junk, it's a good thing. It's not a magic pill, and grains and fruit aren't the evil killer that some paleo purists make them out to be. In a sense, it's like IF. Not magic, just helps you eat healthier and to meet your nutritional goals.

A while back there was a discussion here where one of the paleo folks said "fruit is nothing more than sacks of sugar". None of the other paleo people disagreed with him, so I assumed that was there stance.

As a paleo, fruit is awesome. I disagree, vehemently. I try to have one piece a day.
  • viad25720
    viad25720 Posts: 57 Member
    Options

She said she ate berries FOR dessert, not and dessert.
    i
    Paleo is a healthful lifestyle.

Calcium is not all that necessary for strong bones as they preach. However, if you are eating enough dark green leafy vegetables, there is sufficient calcium intake and a much higher rate of absorption. Vitamin D is the most important factor and if you spend 20-30 minutes getting some sun each day, you have reached that goal.

Dairy is not necessary by any shape, form or fashion.

Question everything that the government says you need as they don't know what they are talking about in the least.

I have a very limited area of veggies and fruits I like, of course I wouldn't included that in my post, tmi for topic at hand. I actually have to take a multi vitamin, which isn't always recommended because most of us get it from our food. I am one of the few who does not. And yea you're right about dairy. But i love it! Like I said, whatever works for everyone. Personally, I'd be setting myself up for failure if i did it.

And lady above my bad I thought she said and dessert! I don't use butter personally, dieting or not, I like my food plain. I also don't like red meat, not cuz all the unhealthy jabber out there, just don't care for it. My dietitian is a vegetarian, part of what i meant in my post, also I am supposed to try for 300 to 400 max meals 100-200 max snacks. That meal I assume would be way over.

Don't over read into my comments, they are just that! I actually said people can do what they want, but people still picked me apart. What i posted about my likes is true to me alone, as all of us have a right to post in this community, no? As long as were nice :-)
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options

We all know what happens when you assume... I find fruit to be good and helpful for loading up a few carb cals, but I do try to limit my intake due to the sugar content. I don't think fruit is evil, and very few paleo eaters do. I think the biggest reason for limiting your fruit intake would be to train your body not to rely on the sugar because the more sugar you eat, the more you will crave it and the harder it will be to turn away that delicious doughnut in the office conference room... :wink:
  • PhilyPhresh
    Options
    I would supplement with a multivitamin and speak to a dietician or your doctor about the paleo diet before you make it a lifestyle change. Just off of the top of my head, I would expect calcium to be a difficult nutrient to get and therefor, you would need to supplement for it.

Why would you expect calcium to be difficult to get? Salmon, almonds, figs, oranges, broccoli, kale, collard greens, spinach... all these foods contain good levels of calcium in them.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My thought is that it can be healthy, but outside some disease requiring it, restricting the foods they restrict is completely unnecessary for weight loss or health.

I have heard some complete nonsense regarding food from some MFP members doing Paleo, but that doesn't mean the diet is unhealthy.

I, being disease free and healthy, would not restrict foods I like and know to be healthy just to because a "diet" told me to.
  • PhilyPhresh
    Options

I, being disease free and healthy, would not restrict foods I like and know to be healthy just to because a "diet" told me to.

That is good not to do something just because "a diet told you". I found the information interesting and researched it for myself. My findings showed me I was better off without. But I guess to each his (or her) own...
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    To each his own. I don't believe in restriction dieting, and I find success in what I do so I find paleo unnecessary to meet my goals.
  • bcattoes
    Options

That is good not to do something just because "a diet told you". I found the information interesting and researched it for myself. My findings showed me I was better off without. But I guess to each his (or her) own...

How can one be better off than disease free and healthy?
  • PhilyPhresh
    Options

Not sure if you are looking for a fight or making a legitimate inquiry, but my response to that would be "prevention".

edit: Personally, I also feel zounds better when not eating many of the foods of which Paleo has restricted. I can see a difference in my performance in the gym as well as my every day to day lifestyle. I am not here to push Paleo on anyone, but it definitely has done wonders for me.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    You do eat carbs and sugar with Paleo, but they come from veggies and fruit. Post your question in the paleo group and you'll get answers from people who are knowledgable about the lifestyle.

But she would also certainly get one-sided views. By asking the community at large it would suggest she wants varying opinions.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    You do eat carbs and sugar with Paleo, but they come from veggies and fruit. Post your question in the paleo group and you'll get answers from people who are knowledgable about the lifestyle.

But she would also certainly get one-sided views. By asking the community at large it would suggest she wants varying opinions.

I agree with this. She asked the general populous their opinions on Paleo. She's going to get varied and some heated responses, and that's going to give her a good starting point to have questions to do some research to come to her own conclusion. If she went to the Paleo group to ask about Paleo she's going to get a lot of Pro-Paleo answers. Now, if her question is "what is the Paleo diet and what do I need to do to adhere to it?" the Paleo Group is the perfect place to go.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Not sure if you are looking for a fight or making a legitimate inquiry, but my response to that would be "prevention".

Prevention of what? I've been eating things Paleo restricts for half a century and have remained healthy with no known disease risk factors. Even if I ignored the science showing that restricted foods can be part of a healthy diet, my personal experience alone is enough for me to keep doing what I'm doing.

Not looking for a fight, just wondering why anyone would suggest someone like me should change their diet.