constantly wanting to step on the scale?

Options
Does anyone else have problems weighing themselves only once a week? I think about weighing myself constantly and I wish there was some way to quit thinking about it. I've heard that you should weigh yourself once a week at most but I just work so hard that I get nervous/anxious to see if this hard work is paying off. Is it bad to weigh yourself daily or is that a little bit obsessive?

I also get extremely disappointed if I work out really hard and don't see a high enough number. Anyone else have these problems?

PS- Feel free to add me if you're looking for a friend to help encourage throughout weight loss!

:heart:

Replies

• mfkn_Titanium
    Options
    Screw the scale. It's a hatefu, lying *kitten*. Do yourself a favor and take the batteries out of it. Go by measurements and how your clothes fit. People who weigh themselves daily set their attitude for the whole day based on what that silly scale tells them. Don't be a slave to the scale. As long as you are maintaining a caloric deficit - you are losing fat. Period.
  • ashleyconstantine
    ashleyconstantine Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    All the time. I've really got to break myself of weighing every morning.
  • frankensteinsbride28
    Options
    I am the exact same way, I've made my husband actually hide the scale from me before. It's like a bad addiction! I know if done good on my calories for the day, but I'm still so scared to see that scale move up!
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I was the same when I was on strict diet regime. Then I find it way too stressful and actually stalls my weight loss. :(

Finally one day something danged on me. I just stopped weighing myself. Instead, I eat normal and exercise whenever I can. Since there's no stress in my mind, I find I actually weight lighter after a few weeks. Go figure. LOL
  • ashleyconstantine
    ashleyconstantine Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I was the same when I was on strict diet regime. Then I find it way too stressful and actually stalls my weight loss. :(

Finally one day something danged on me. I just stopped weighing myself. Instead, I eat normal and exercise whenever I can. Since there's no stress in my mind, I find I actually weight lighter after a few weeks. Go figure. LOL

I don't know how you can do that! I wish I had the confidence to stop.
    I can't tell my husband to hide it either, he's the exact same way...
  • albayin
    Options

I don't know how you can do that! I wish I had the confidence to stop.
    I can't tell my husband to hide it either, he's the exact same way...

After a while you will know if you are doing the right thing without looking at the scale or your food log...But I know it's hard and might not work for everyone. :)

There are other better "scales", such as your clothes and how you actually feel if you are heavier or lighter. :)
  • randysbombshellgirl
    randysbombshellgirl Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I too weigh myself every morning and I live and die by what I see. I know it's bad but I cant stop. I just got a new ww scale and hubby decided to try it out he ended up getting 2 slightly different numbers and said oh no big deal it's only off by .02 I'm thinking to myself yeah that is'
  • PrayerofAmity
    PrayerofAmity Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I love weighing myself every morning
  • napellum
    napellum Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    me too! my hubby has to hide the scale from me too! lol
  • albayin
    Options
    me too! my hubby has to hide the scale from me too! lol

LOL. From my personal experience, weighing yourself constantly is not a big deal as long as you have learned not to panic to the number. I have a friend who weighs herself like 5 times aday, after drinking water, going to pee, or eating a big hamberger. It sounds crazy but she's very cool.
  • tbetts23
    tbetts23 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I admit, I am a slave to the scale! Everyone says get out the tape measure but I don't see the change. I like the kick in the *kitten* when the scale says really? You checking after last night? Lol!
  • wjimenez10869
    Options
    Im debating moving the scale to a part of the house I don't go in on a regular basis for all the same reasons you mentioned. I know some people do it daily and it works for them but I don't want to. I think if I do it daily and the scale goes up and down from one day to the next it would drive me nuts. I know some weeks it doesn't move but if I feel like I eat and exercise good that week it doesn't bother me too much.
  • AESprouse
    AESprouse Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I just started my journey Aug 5. I weighed myself on the 12th after a week of torture. I decided yesterday to weigh myself daily and it motivates me more. I have a digital scale and so far it seems pretty accurate.
  • restoreleanne
    restoreleanne Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    LOL. From my personal experience, weighing yourself constantly is not a big deal as long as you have learned not to panic to the number. I have a friend who weighs herself like 5 times aday, after drinking water, going to pee, or eating a big hamberger. It sounds crazy but she's very cool.
    [/quote]

I do this and you learn what you weight at about the same time each day and you dont panic.
  • MissMandi1
    Options
    i do the same thing...ughh its hard not to. If you put it up in a closet and only bring it down at the end of your week to weigh yourself it may be easier to not do it Good luck!
  • noahsmommie
    noahsmommie Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm a serial weigher. I was recently at my doctors office and was talking to her about starting this journey and she challenged me not to weigh myself. Her premise was that I should use how I feel to see how I'm doing and not rely so much on the scale. I hate to admit it, but I couldn't do it. My husband even tried hiding the scale. I'm trying hard to do it less than twice a week.
  • kzcortes
    kzcortes Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily. It's more psychological...even if it's just 1 lb less or the same weight, it helps me to know that I'm not gaining. Kind of gives me the motivation to keep dieting you know?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I look at the scale all the time. In fact, I just threw my old one away because as soon as I got under 170, I could wiggle and move the silly thing up or down 5 pounds. Love my new one - it is stable and reliable.

The problem isn't looking at the scale. The problem is obsessing about your weight and what you're eating. I'm a data junkie. I simply find the variation interesting. Sorry, I don't see anything wrong with that.

Beating yourself up about your weight. THAT'S a problem.

What I have learned from watching the scale go up and down - and my weight has always fluctuated 2-5 pounds a day - is that those little variations don't matter. Weight goes up and down for lots of dumb reasons.

Big trends matter. How my clothes fit matters. How I feel matters.

The scale is just interesting. And I only pay attention when it goes DOWN.
  • mikmurphy
    mikmurphy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I had to give my scale to my roommate lol. Its not helpful for me as I get to upset if things arent moving along the way I think they should be. I am however a measurement addict. Thats annoying too! Ive found things fluctuate so much its hard to get a good read as ive seen a scale gain of 4 lbs during my period or times of high salt consumption. Ps. Im going to the gym and will likely weigh myself heehee
  • sammiliegh
    sammiliegh Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You aren't alone!