Can I still BBQ?

Options
124»

Replies

• gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    You're going to have to give up the sausages except for when you get a treat. Sorry brother.

Here are the lean meats that grill well:

Poultry: Skinless, white meat chicken or turkey; ground turkey breast
    Beef: Flank steak, top loin, sirloin, porterhouse, T-bone steak and tenderloin; 90% lean ground beef
    Veal: Any trimmed cut
    Pork: Pork chops or tenderloin
    Lamb: Look for the word “loin”
    Game: Rabbit and buffalo
    Game birds: pheasant, quail and ostrich

If you're having trouble giving up the fatty meats, then try reducing your portion size.

Look for a low calorie BBQ sauce recipes online or use marinades and dry rubs on your meats before you grill to add flavour.

This^^^^
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Mmm, yeah, you can. BBQ is awesome. Even burgers and dogs. I like butterball turkey franks, they're quite lean and still actually tasty. Burgers you can make your own to make them a little leaner. Or don't, and just watch your portion sizes. No reason to give up the BBQ.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Ground elk patties. Super-lean, and they taste beefier than beef. Oh, they're heaven on a grill.

Boneless skinless turkey thighs. You can grill them, or you can bbq them. Either way works great.

Pork tenderloin. Yeah I said it, what you gonna do about it? Pork tenderloin is almost fat free, and tastes spectacular grilled.

Enjoy.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    We still BBQ all the time! Ribs, Chicken, Steaks, Burgers, Dogs, Sausage, Fish... it's all delicious!

Just watch your portion sizes and your daily calorie intakes. If you are having a more calorie laden dinner, then lean out your breakfast and lunch. Substitute some of your favorites such as Chicken Sausage in for Pork Sausage every so often. Make your own sauces. Choose leaner meats. Have it on your splurge day. Whatever you want to do... but there is NO reason to give up your BBQ!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Marinate some pork tenderloin in Stubbs pork marinade overnight and then smoke it for about 2 hours at 225. Yum.

I enjoy smoking far too much to give it up. It's all good in moderation. Also, Stubbs original BBQ sauce is relatively low carb/low sugar. Most of the others on the shelf are high in sugar content.