intermittent fasting critis

Options

Replies

• Alohathin
    Alohathin Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for three or four days now. I like it so far. It's a lot of food to fit into four hours, though, and I'm only eating around 1800 calories. :drinker:

Warrior?

Mostly, yeah. But I've been reading up on the other methods, too.
  • billyh333
    billyh333 Posts: 213
    Options
    Do you have to eat your daily calorie allowance within 4 hours? :)
    no if anyone knows anything about it its not 4hr window its 8 and yea in 8hrs I can eat a lot of food
  • Alohathin
    Options
    no if anyone knows anything about it its not 4hr window its 8 and yea in 8hrs I can eat a lot of food

Admittedly, I'm still learning about the process, but I was under the impression that most people doing the Warrior diet were doing 4 hours....is that incorrect, or do you disagree with the Warrior diet?
  • whiskeycharged
    whiskeycharged Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    lean gains - fast 16 hours x 8 hour feed window

warrior - fast 20 hours x 4 hour feed window
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for three or four days now. I like it so far. It's a lot of food to fit into four hours, though, and I'm only eating around 1800 calories. :drinker:

Warrior?

Nice! The Warrior Diet was my first reaction to that too. I like you Bean. :)

What is the warrior diet?

I would call it a more extreme version of 16/8 IF. If I remember the details correctly basically you don't eat anything until after like 6pm and then you have 4 hours to consume everything you need. It's not a bad approach by any means but I do recall reading a critique that the users testing experienced some catabolic results and muscle mass. They felt the Warrior Diet required a considerable bit more BCAA and Leucine consumption to help during the fasting period. If I can find it I'll post it.
  • billyh333
    Options
    amaizenblue44 hell yea and lots of energy good job nice little cup of black coffee is what i take b4 my workout
  • JNick77
    Options

Admittedly, I'm still learning about the process, but I was under the impression that most people doing the Warrior diet were doing 4 hours....is that incorrect, or do you disagree with the Warrior diet?

Gotta find what works for you my friend. Like I mentioned above one critique was a perceived loss of muscle mass, so if you feel weak in the gym that could be an issue. But if it works for you then roll with it until it doesn't.
  • JNick77
    Options
    amaizenblue44 hell yea and lots of energy good job nice little cup of black coffee is what i take b4 my workout

I take 250mg's caffeine, 2,000 mg's Taurine and a serving of BCAA's. :) I consume BCAA's during as well.
  • Dustin_02
    Dustin_02 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I like fasting, it help me break a 2 month plateau where I was stuck at 239 and 236 and now im 229. I started with the 16 hour fast and 8 hour eating window and work my way up. I fell of my fast recently after being out of town for a few days, but can't wait to start again!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I'm interested too- I know the least about warrior- I've done my homework on leangains and ESE.

Here's the basic idea for those interested:

-Leangains method is a 16hr fast/8hr feeding window (often modified to 14/10 for women) where you consume your "cut" calories (if trying to lose weight) every day within your feeding window. Most people fast after dinner and prolong breakfast until about lunchtime. So for example, you would eat at noon and then finish all your calories by 8pm. Schedule can be adjusted however you need to fit your schedule.

-Eat-Stop-Eat (ESE) is usually a 24- hr fast, done once or twice a week. The rest of the week, you eat MORE calories than your cut, somewhere around maintenence, so that the average for the whole week equals your cut. Most people eat dinner, then fast through dinner the next night, and then eat a *reasonable* but large meal in the evening after their 24-hr fast. You do it this way so that you never have a day where you wake up and go to bed again without fasting, which makes it a lot easier to get through.
  • Alohathin
    Options

Yeah, I've been drinking a bit of coffee, myself. I'm in Hawaii, gotta take advantage of the fresh Kona blends. :)
  • billyh333
    Options
    JNick77 you kick *kitten* you know i was waiting for someone who has never done it .or anything come in and start popin off.lmaol
  • billyh333
    Options

Yeah, I've been drinking a bit of coffee, myself. I'm in Hawaii, gotta take advantage of the fresh Kona blends. :)
    lucky you
  • theologynerd
    theologynerd Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I have been doing IF for a while. My husband was reading about Warrior, and I swore that IF was NOT for me. It took me some time to realize that I was already doing it without realizing it. I guess that means it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be :) I do 16/8, and it works for me. I have strength trained several different times in my life, but after lifting for 4-6 months and seeing absolutely no change, I would get discouraged and quit. I have been eating a Primal diet since May, and therefore getting plenty of protein and fat. I started some very slow, basic strength training two weeks ago, and can already tell the difference. For the first time in my life, I'm beginning to get some muscle that I can actually see! It is very exciting for me :) I have always had extremely weak arms, so I will continue to move slowly with the weights, but it's nice to see some shape taking place. Before, the options were always either to have fat arms or skinny arms. I could never get toned. The same goes for my calves; no matter how well conditioned I have been in the past, there was never any definition to my calves. Now, they are looking... womanly! Feminine! I absolutely love IF combined with the strength training, and am going to do a lot more reading about it so that I can capitalize on the changes in my body.
  • billyh333
    Options
    MoreBean13 knows her stuff so anyone with question can ask her ha
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I have been doing IF for a while. My husband was reading about Warrior, and I swore that IF was NOT for me. It took me some time to realize that I was already doing it without realizing it. I guess that means it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be :) I do 16/8, and it works for me. I have strength trained several different times in my life, but after lifting for 4-6 months and seeing absolutely no change, I would get discouraged and quit. I have been eating a Primal diet since May, and therefore getting plenty of protein and fat. I started some very slow, basic strength training two weeks ago, and can already tell the difference. For the first time in my life, I'm beginning to get some muscle that I can actually see! It is very exciting for me :) I have always had extremely weak arms, so I will continue to move slowly with the weights, but it's nice to see some shape taking place. Before, the options were always either to have fat arms or skinny arms. I could never get toned. The same goes for my calves; no matter how well conditioned I have been in the past, there was never any definition to my calves. Now, they are looking... womanly! Feminine! I absolutely love IF combined with the strength training, and am going to do a lot more reading about it so that I can capitalize on the changes in my body.

I got in to it because I was already doing it too- just didn't know skipping breakfast had a name! In fact, before I found IF, I lied to people about eating breakfast because people jump down your throat about it being the most important meal of the day. I was embarrassed about it!
  • billyh333
    Options
    amazing story love it
  • Alohathin
    Options

I got in to it because I was already doing it too- just didn't know skipping breakfast had a name! In fact, before I found IF, I lied to people about eating breakfast because people jump down your throat about it being the most important meal of the day. I was embarrassed about it!

Yeah, I always used to skip breakfast when I was in the Army, and I just got used to working out on an empty stomach. I totally prefer it.

Now that I think about it, I was the same way when I was a kid playing sports. My mom used to try to get me to eat before my soccer games on Saturdays, but I refused. She usually got me to eat a banana, though. ;)
  • billyh333
    Options
    Wow no hate for me tonight on this topic.
  • theologynerd
    theologynerd Posts: 264 Member
    Options

Yeah, I finally got fed up with trying to force myself to eat when I'm not hungry. I would notice that when I skipped breakfast and just ate how I wanted (within reason, of course), I would lose weight. Now I do the same with eating back exercise calories. 95% of the time I'm hungry enough to want to eat them, but if I have been strict with my carbs and hitting ketosis, I find that I'm satisfied well before I eat them all back. So I don't. It has been hard to listen to my body; I didn't trust myself because my reasoning was "I got fat by listening to my body! It wanted a donut, so I ate a donut!" I have realized that listening to my body is a lot different that simply indulging my body. I can tell the difference between a whim and true hunger.