Winter alternatives to running and outdoor exercise

13»

Replies

• cestlafete
    cestlafete Posts: 71 Member
    How cold is too cold? Granted, I live in Maryland, which is temperate relative to a lot of places, but I can usually run outside most of the winter unless there's a substantial amount of snow on the ground. It doesn't take a ton of extra clothes to keep warm while running.

I agree on the outside temperature part, but we get some really bitter cold air. How do you manage with that? It tears my throat/nose up once it gets ~40°F, I get hoarse and raw super-fast and can't bear to do it much more.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    When I was in college, my friends and I made great use of the facilities available to students. We played "wallyball" at least twice a week. If you drop by any of the gyms on campus, there is likely to be something going on most nights, even if it's a pick up basketball game. Swimming was also free to students during designated times. There are many club sport groups you can join too. i would contact your student activities director. There is probably an endless list.

Also, I agree with what most people said about running outside. As long as it's not too icy and snowy, I go all winter long. Running in the freshly falling snow is one of the most exhilarating experiences ever!
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    I was worried too when last winter came if I could keep up my exercise and weight loss routine, I decided for me the best idea was to get a gym membership -- believe it or not, I still use it :)

If money is too tight for a membership, I would see if your school had a free one, or a swimming pool on campus.

There are so good home workout DVD's, you will see alot of people on here use ' Insanity, Jillian Michaels (30 day shred, etc.) There is also alot of workouts for things like Wii if you have that.

Good luck!