Opinions About Yoga?

Options
2»

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Please don't dig up and post that article. Don't ever think of it again. Yoga is awesome. And I wouldn't call a period of inactivity as doing damage to yourself. Some styles hold poses longer, up to 2 minutes, while others have a constant flow. I have friends that do both, and they love it all and are some of the healthiest, fittest people I know. yoga is great, and I'm sure you can find a groupon or something to give you a trial membership at a studio near you. Close this window and get started today.
  • GutterballT
    Options
    Wow, okay you guys are awesome!! Definitely gave me the big boost of optimism I needed about my flexibility. I'm still not as small as I'd like but I think this will definitely help. I have now made a list of each thing you guys listed, and I'm going to check them out at the earliest possible convenience. Thank you guys so, so much! I can't wait to get started :D
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    The thing to remember is that you have a yoga practice. That means that no matter what level, what you are doing is where your body is now, and that's the right place for it to be. Don't worry about being able to do a certain pose perfectly or the way others can do it.. a true yoga practice is about listening to where your body is now and moving it forward. You will get more flexible, less stressed, stronger and more confident the more you practice.

The other thing is to see what style you want. Iyengar yoga is a posed based yoga where you work on perfecting the post and can stay in the extended pose for a longer period. It doesn't have as much of a cardio benefit then a flow based yoga (like vinyasa) but will have more for strength and may be more appoachable for a beginner because you aren't trying to figure out what's going on keep up with everyone else.
  • katrinkap
    katrinkap Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Do it! Yoga will help you become more flexible in all areas of life! From general exercise to taking the stairs to yes, SEX. I love yoga and I only do the biggest loser and Jillian michaels DVDs.... Love it! Good luck!