You know what really bugs me....

Options

Replies

• hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Wow, give the girl a break? Why is it so hard to say that you disagree in a nice way without insulting her or treating her like a child?

Personally, I can relate to the OP's post. I'm almost 30 and yes, it's normal that most of my friends are married and have kids and I'm really happy for them, at least for those who are obviously happy with the way their life has turned out. I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with starting a family whenever you wish as long as it's a conscious decision that you actually thought through rather than 'forgetting to use a condom'.

What bugs me is the reaction I get when I say I don't want kids. No, I don't know if that's ever gonna change. But I said that since I was 15 and ever since then, people have been telling me that 'in time I'd want to start a family'. Well, as I said, I'm almost 30 and so far, nope, still don't want kids. I don't know...it just bothers me that people seem to be unable to comprehend that it isn't a woman's ultimate wish to be a mother one day and that no, I am not unhappy and don't feel like my future looks like it's going to be unhappy without children of my own. I'm not saying I hate kids, I'm not saying your kids suck...I just don't think I'd make a good mother and since 50% of my parents sucked and made me feel unwanted, I'd prefer not to do that to a child.
  • MrsBoney
    MrsBoney Posts: 12
    Options
    Bad grammar and incorrect spelling bug me!
  • BlueEyesXoXo
    Options
    Wow, give the girl a break? Why is it so hard to say that you disagree in a nice way without insulting her or treating her like a child?

Personally, I can relate to the OP's post. I'm almost 30 and yes, it's normal that most of my friends are married and have kids and I'm really happy for them, at least for those who are obviously happy with the way their life has turned out. I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with starting a family whenever you wish as long as it's a conscious decision that you actually thought through rather than 'forgetting to use a condom'.

What bugs me is the reaction I get when I say I don't want kids. No, I don't know if that's ever gonna change. But I said that since I was 15 and ever since then, people have been telling me that 'in time I'd want to start a family'. Well, as I said, I'm almost 30 and so far, nope, still don't want kids. I don't know...it just bothers me that people seem to be unable to comprehend that it isn't a woman's ultimate wish to be a mother one day and that no, I am not unhappy and don't feel like my future looks like it's going to be unhappy without children of my own. I'm not saying I hate kids, I'm not saying your kids suck...I just don't think I'd make a good mother and since 50% of my parents sucked and made me feel unwanted, I'd prefer not to do that to a child.

I know. I'm 23. I have no kids and this is almost unheard of where I am from.

It's funny. All my friends who have kids tell me not to have kids. Hahaaa!

I want kids. I just don't want them now. GASP! Let the older ladies(the ones I work with, not the ones here fyi) give me their most potent death glares for being so selfish. :laugh:
  • PattieCakes23
    Options
    Here's things that bug me that I'm sure will get me called judgemental also. I don't care. I am judgemental and so is everyone else. Everyone judges everyone all of the time and it's a major pet peeve of mine when people deny it. So let the flames begin lol

First and foremost, if you smack and pop bubblegum like an angsty teenage girl being a brat, quite frankly, I don’t want to be near you. Do this in a professional environment like an office and it’s even worse. Learn how to chew like an adult human instead of like a cow chewing it’s cud.

Next on the list of things that annoy me is people who refuse to acknowledge that they want to lose weight to look better. Hey, I’m sure there are some people who could care less about their looks and are only losing weight for health purposes but most people care how they look and looking better is a reason they want to lose weight. For me, honestly, it’s the primary reason. I’m not so overweight that it’s effecting my health. I just want to lose 30 lbs so I can go back to modeling for extra money.

Also, stop acting like I’m a horrible person because I don’t think obesity is attractive. I don’t personally know anyone who thinks obesity is attractive but I seem to be the only one I know personally that is willing to admit it.

Political correctness, in general.

I do animal rescue and a major peeve is when people abandon their pets for stupid reasons. I think my personal favorite is “I didn’t realize he’d require so much time or food”. Do your research before you buy a living thing. FFS.

Actually, do your research before you have human offspring also. I’m so sick of news stories about little kids being hurt or killed because of their parents stupidity. If you leave a baby in a hot car, you deserve to be punched.

Speaking of the news, I’m sick of seeing politicians spending millions on attack ads. You know what would REALLY make me think you’re a better choice than the other guy? Take those millions and donate them to charity instead of on an ad.

Are we twins? because I'm pretty sure you just named everything that annoys me too.
  • PattieCakes23
    Options

I know. I'm 23. I have no kids and this is almost unheard of where I am from.

It's funny. All my friends who have kids tell me not to have kids. Hahaaa!

I want kids. I just don't want them now. GASP! Let the older ladies(the ones I work with, not the ones here fyi) give me their most potent death glares for being so selfish. :laugh:

Yes, all these friends that I am mentioning that have children, have ALL told me to wait to have kids. Everyone of them. They will tell me that they love them, but they also tell me to wait or that it's good that I'm waiting. I love their little kiddos. I just love it even more that I can give them back.

Oh, and I am on the fence about wanting kids. I used to say that I wanted to be a mommy and I'd be happy. But now that I'm older and getting towards a career (sort of) I'm not sure if I want them or not. I guess one day I do, but that day is definitely not today. And I am beyond proud of all my friends my age that have been able to do it. One of my best friends had her first 3 months after we graduated high school, I tell her all the time how proud of her I am and how I dont think I could have done it without going insane. (i'm alreayd a bit crazy just dealing with my baby of a dog)
  • TrimAnew
    TrimAnew Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    My parents were early 20s when they had me. I look at them and think how nice it is that they can enjoy an empty nest together while they are still young (early to mid fifties). I like knowing that the odds are that my (future) kids will know my parents for many years because they aren't already "old." My grandparents are in their mid 70s, very active still, and enjoying the great-grandkids in the family.

Many of my friends had older parents and so those older parents (30s and 40s when they had started having kids) aren't as "spry" for their empty nest days. My hubby is only 2 years older than me, but his only living grandparent is in her 90s and fading fast. His folks are nearing/entering retirement age, while mine still have a little ways to go.

I'm still in my 20s, but not by that much. I feel a little "behind the ball" on the kid front to be honest, and look forward to starting my family, since I've been out of college for a few years now and am now married and have a stable footing. Statistically, I'm average for my generation, but compared to my own parents and grandparents, I'm stretching out the generations. On Facebook, a little more than half of my old HS friends are married with kids. The age of the kids seems to depend on what the friend did after HS. Friends with advanced degrees are just getting married and have no kids or very young kids. Friends from HS with 2 year degrees or no degree have kids in grade school now, but are also generally doing well (even though some are divorced and now single parents). The earliest any of the them starting having kids was 19.

OP, when I was 23 I couldn't imagine having kids yet and was a bit thrown when my own friends started having them and posting on Facebook. It didn't bug me because it just put them on the same timeline as my own amazing parents, but it did make me feel different, older, something like that--woke up the part of me that thinks about having kids and if/when I wanted them. With just a few years of hindsight now, it doesn't phase me a bit when I see the pictures these days. I actually enjoy seeing them.

Are your friends your age or older? A 23 year old with a kindergartner, 1st or 2nd grader though, would have had to be 18 or younger when they conceived and thus might have been teen moms. I guess I am surprised then that you seem surprised by them having kids. Did you not know when they got pregnant?

There is nothing wrong with just waiting and enjoying being 23. :)
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Why is it that as soon as someone expresses an opinion on here, they are quickly branded as judgmental?

That is what really bugs me, I guess, in answer to the original question of this post.

I've noticed that a lot around here. On any topic really.

How to start an argument on MFP:
    1. Post a topic or discussion concerning anything.
    2. Wait.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    what bugs me is that some people have jobs where they can sit on MFP all day and post stuff every 2 minutes :)

also, 2 more things that bug me...people who dont capitalize the first word in a sentence or thought and people who say what bugs them then get bent outta shape when other people say that they are annoyed with the first person saying what bugs them :) those little smiley faces are annoying too :)

LMAO! :):):)
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Try being 28 and not having kids and having to see all of these pictures.

While hungover. What happened to just being 28 with an alcohol problem?
  • Meloyelo2010
    Meloyelo2010 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I popped out a kid at 18 another at 26 (two very different experiences. who knew?). But, really I should have waited until I was 40 or so.

You know what really bugs me? Political posts that are not in line with my own views. *kitten*.
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I'm happy for them and glad that they have the cute kiddos (I like kids...and I can give these back after I've given them too much candy), .

You know what really bugs me?....
    When people say they can load kids up with candy, then give them back to the parents. I know grandparents who get a kick out of hyping kids up on a sugar-load, then brag about sending them back to the parents so they can deal with it. IMO, it's not cute, it's not funny. Why would anybody want to do this to a kid? And yes, I do have have grandkids. No, I don't indulge them in all the sugary stuff they'd love to scarf on.
  • PattieCakes23
    Options
    I'm happy for them and glad that they have the cute kiddos (I like kids...and I can give these back after I've given them too much candy), .

When people say they can load kids up with candy, then give them back to the parents. I know grandparents who get a kick out of hyping kids up on a sugar-load, then brag about sending them back to the parents so they can deal with it. IMO, it's not cute, it's not funny. Why would anybody want to do this to a kid? And yes, I do have have grandkids. No, I don't indulge them in all the sugary stuff they'd love to scarf on.

Actually, I don't give them candy. I just thought that was funny to say. :/ I actually would buy them a toy, or clothes or something at least somewhat useful. I can't pass up opportunities to spoil little kids. I don't do it with candy. That was just me being all...goofy and cliche)
  • PinkEnvyx
    PinkEnvyx Posts: 172
    Options
    Oh and to the OP...

Some advice.

Don't post anything ever. Even sunshine and rainbows will get you haters here lately. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

THIS. :)
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

<---- does this.

And I buy them really obnoxious toys too. Yes. I am "that" aunt:))
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I think Ill start a thread around the beginning of September where all the proud parents can post pics of their kids on their first day of school. (just for you) :happy:
  • PattieCakes23
    Options

<---- does this.

And I buy them really obnoxious toys too. Yes. I am "that" aunt:))

I buy my little 5 yr old and 2 yr old cousin the most obnoxious things I can find for Christmas. I mean, it's usually something they actually want or would enjoy, but their mom wouldn't get for the fact that it's obnoxious. So, I play the part of bringing joy to those little kids. And then, of course I will happily sit down and open the box for them and make sure I show them exaclty how to use it.

Seriously, I don't need kids anytime soon. They'd be spoiled, noisy little things. The world can't handle another me right now.
  • PattieCakes23
    Options
    I think Ill start a thread around the beginning of September where all the proud parents can post pics of their kids on their first day of school. (just for you) :happy:

And I'll happily post about how cute and adorable they look. Because they are cute and adorable. And I like seeing pictures of everyones kids.

I said it made me feel old. I never said to keep them off my timeline.
  • LadyBuell
    LadyBuell Posts: 164
    Options
    <snip>people on here claiming other people are being judgemental when they themselves are being judgemental because the truth is, we are ALL judgemental (everyone makes judgements about everything!). Yeesh.
    :grumble:
    I was thinking this exact thing. Having an opinion makes you judgmental.

o·pin·ion/əˈpinyən/
    Noun:
    1. A view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
  • PattieCakes23
    Options
    <snip>people on here claiming other people are being judgemental when they themselves are being judgemental because the truth is, we are ALL judgemental (everyone makes judgements about everything!). Yeesh.
    :grumble:
    I was thinking this exact thing. Having an opinion makes you judgmental.

o·pin·ion/əˈpinyən/
    Noun:
    1. A view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

This ^^ Brilliant!
  • amrita0286
    Options
    I get what you're saying completely.
    I guess I am one of those people who got married young (23) but no kids yet (26 now) and not planning on any yet , not until a year or 2.

The only thing that sucks is when you lose touch with good friends because they're so busy. I completely understand but it's always hard. I try to make time out for my girlfriends who are single.
    But don't worry too much about it, I think it's good to enjoy every moment in life, I'm finishing up med school currently and having a husband and so many responsibilities of married life is challenging at times. I don't think I could raise a child right now on top of that. I guess everyone is different :) But trust me among the people who are in grad school, many marry late and there's nothing wrong with that. I actually commend you for not getting so carried away with what everyone else is doing :)