Gold Digging

Options
SmexAppeal
SmexAppeal Posts: 858 Member
I'm listening to my favorite radio show on my way into work this morning, and they begin to discuss this new shirt that Nike came out with. Supposedly its so controversial and is causing many people to get their panties in a bunch. So I figured I needed to bring it to the forums and see how many people here get their panties bunched up.
So here's the shirt... Gold Digging with the Nike swish

xl472336010.jpg

Now we all (or most) know what a "gold digger" is. If you do not, it simply means a woman who is after a man's money. Nike has promoted this shirt after the 2012 Olympics have ended, and obviously they mean digging for the gold. Why do so many women think this shirt puts a negative light on women? I personally congratulate Nike for their bold and daring move to change the meaning and turn it into something positive. So they are poking a little fun at the already existing saying, who cares? But seriously, for those of us who are serious about pushing hard and digging deep, we can see the positive changes this could bring to the term "gold digging".
I'm curious to see what all of you think and how you feel about this new shirt.
I for one would love to buy this shirt and wear it proudly, knowing that I am indeed a Gold Digger (positive meaning!)
Always keep pushing harder and digging deeper for the gold!! :wink:
And.... discuss :smile:

Replies

• ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Well, considering that women won 29 of the 46 US Gold medals, I understand the ironic sense that Nike is expressing.

That said, I wouldn't wear the shirt unless I was actually looking to mooch off of someone's wealth, fame, or success. But I don't need to be duplicitous to be manipulative.
    -wtk
  • portalm
    portalm Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I think that this is quite awesome, to change the meaning of that term to meaning like dig deep within yourself would be great.

If people get thier panties all bunched up because of it, it clearly means they are ignorant, or that they just are too damn stubborn to accept change. Lets face it the world changes daily, get with the program or become a dinosaur that no one has any use for...

This would be a great slogan, For both men and women, Dig deep to achieve "Gold" standards, test and challenge yourself to become a winner, I for one Love it.

For the gold digging!

Swoosh son.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I personally enjoy the humor of the "double meaning." Honestly, Olympics aside, why shouldn't a woman to strive to be the best...going for the gold in all areas of her life? I think it's fun...and way more fun than a shirt that says, "strive for mediocre, because if you go for anything more, men will think you are after their money"
  • mminor77
    mminor77 Posts: 313
    Options
    I thought this was going to be a post about where to mine for the goods. Aw shucks. :sad:
  • SmexAppeal
    Options
    This would be a great slogan, For both men and women,
    I think this is why its so controversial, because it was made as a woman's shirt only.
  • portalm
    Options
    I think this is why its so controversial, because it was made as a woman's shirt only.

In that case, Totally suing nike for discrimination! MWHAHAHA IM GOING TO BE RICH! Any gold diggers wanna help me spend the money? BWHAHAHA
  • SmexAppeal
    Options

In that case, Totally suing nike for discrimination! MWHAHAHA IM GOING TO BE RICH! Any gold diggers wanna help me spend the money? BWHAHAHA

I said I'd wear the shirt proudly lol... so sure, let's go buy me some pretty things big daddy :wink: :laugh:
  • portalm
    Options
    HAHAHA!!! Only because you led me to the knowledge about it, But im sure my Girl and I could spend it all in a week! Trips across the GLOBE!
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I don't know how I feel about it...

When you look at the shirt, it doesn't seem like the second "new" meaning would be immediately obvious to most people. That makes me leery of it. I don't want people's first impression of me to be that I'm after men for their money.

If you think about the shirt, the other meaning can set in. How often to people really put a lot of thought into what they read on someone else's shirt, though?

In the end, if Nike is really serious about reclaiming this phrase for the positive, they'd better have a pretty strong media program for it... if not, it's just going to go down as a bad joke.
  • mfkn_Titanium
    Options
    I think I want this shirt. Not sure how my husband would feel about it...but meh.
  • SmexAppeal
    Options
    I think I want this shirt. Not sure how my husband would feel about it...but meh.

I say it'd be great to wear it to a gym... and show how much you would dig for that gold!
  • SmexAppeal
    Options
    HAHAHA!!! Only because you led me to the knowledge about it, But im sure my Girl and I could spend it all in a week! Trips across the GLOBE!

I retract previous statement of "big daddy" and such... :ohwell:
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I love this...i must have it
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    In a way, I appreciate the warning label aspect of the clothing. I wish all Gold Diggers would label themselves openly. LMAO.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

It could only be made as a woman's shirt for it to be humorous though. Haha...the more we talk about it, the more I want it :)
  • SmexAppeal
    Options
    Hey, I want the shirt for sure! And trust me, I'm so far from a gold digger. I am normally someone's sugar mama, unknowingly I must add. I spend money on a man because I care about him and before I know it... my gold has been dug and they are no where in site. So f them... I want this shirt to show that I am serious about being serious with my fitness... not for the money aspect.
  • heygurlheyyyy
    heygurlheyyyy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna buy it and walk around all day picking my nose. Cuz that's what gold digging has meant to me since I was a kid. :laugh:
  • portalm
    Options
    In a way, I appreciate the warning label aspect of the clothing. I wish all Gold Diggers would label themselves openly. LMAO.

LOL AWESOME! Also love the avatar!
  • cpegasus01
    cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I personally like the shirt and I would wear it!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Why? Because until I thought about it for a few seconds the Olympics never crossed my mind. And the shirt will be around for years after the Olympics is off anyone's mind.

HAVING thought of the Olympics, I think it's a cute shirt.

But without the Olympics, it sounds like you're working out to look sexy to catch a guy. Panties knotted.