new walking shoes that tone????

Options
2»

Replies

• ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    They would work different muscles/ work muscles harder than walking in regular shoes. Halloween night, I walked uphill in high heels for an hour, and the next day my shins were killing me. Any change of footwear changes the muslces that get the most stress.

Voice of reason. Yay! :drinker:

Not to mention a person will adapt to whatever new "stresses" these shoes supply very quickly, meaning that any positive effects will be minimal..

Well usually anything that sounds too good to be true is and while I could see some different muscles getting worked...they would adapt quite quickly and then I am out 100 bucks.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    Hey Everybody -
    I just want to empahsize, try them before you dismis them - I can't speak for the shoes you're talking about but I can speak for the MBT's - I was skeptical at first, but think about it - of course you still have to walk, so the "shoes" can't do that for you - but you can feel the difference almost immediately in which muscles are working and how much, depending on which shoes you wear. I love walking barefoot, and can walk a long way. When I then put my MBT's on another day, the same walk is so much.harder because my leg muscles are getting a better workout. My legs and butt (and belly!) are getting toned, so if that's important to you, consider trying something different.
    When I use my heavier training band, I get toned at a different rate - same with shoes.
    And I found the MBT's VERY comfortable from the get-go - which included a 5 mile walk up and down the hills of San Francisco 2 dyas after I got them. In my previous, comfortably broken-in, walking shoes I'd have been a blistered mess. Not one blister or sore spot with my brand new MBT's.
    I'm not trying to push them - just, give a different shoe a try if you want a different result.

I love my MBT's also but I have long since stopped noticing any change in my muscle movements. I would still recommend them, if you have the money, becuase, as you said, they are really comfortable and I can walk all day without my feet hurting.
  • lissmiller
    Options
    The key to any exercise is to be intentional about the movements you're making for maximum results. Including something as natural as walking. I've had my MBT's for 2 years and still feel the muscles - because once I "found" them I wanted to keep using them, so I contract, etc intentionally. Can't tell, of course, how much of my slimmer legs is due to the MBT's and how much to just walking regularly - I just know they give me a harder workout than other shoes, and I like that!
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    I have tried the Sketchers and was not impressed. Any change in the way my my muscles were being worked went away once I wore the shoes in. They were also heavier than conventional shoes which hurt my knee. Yes my legs felt tired and sore but it was more from the weight of the shoe. I get the similar results in toning just by buying a new pair of shoes with better support or putting in a new pair of insoles. I just find it hard to believe they could make much difference in muscle tone.
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I just got a pair of the Reebok EasyTone this weekend. I LOVE them. I'm not sure how much of a difference they will make in toning but they are unbelievably comfortable. My feet are normally "tired" by walking around all day in regular tennis shoes but not with these! Due to the way they make you balance and walk, I could definitely feel them working my legs and tush out more! They are expensive (thank goodness for birthday gifts!) but I think they are well worth it, as is any shoe that is good to your feet.