Weight loss surgery...

Options
15678911»

Replies

• Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    You know what surgery does for you? Forces you to eat cleaner and in small quantities with mild exercise or you get sick.
    You know what losing weight naturally is? Eating cleaner and in small quantities with exercise lest you get fat.

I mean. It seems like a no-brainer. It's not magic. Save yourself the recovery, expense, and pain and stop making excuses.

Actually....for me...my WLS completely reversed my insulin resistance within DAYS of the surgery. It was the surgery itself that did that...not the weight loss. My diabetes if finally manageable after a lifetime of fighting to control it. I have to work hard at my weight loss. I cant just sit on a sofa and the fat just magically falls off of my body. Not everyone that has WLS is too lazy to lose weight the "normal way".
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and fake whatever tests you want, you WILL fail the psych eval, and rightly so. Also, if you have insurance, you should hope that they don't find posts like these, which would go a long way in proving insurance fraud. Not necessarily for the WLS, but if you successfully convince then that you have sleep apnea when you don't, the CPAP machine and mask they force you to get for your "condition" that they would be on the hook to pay for would certainly be fraud.

I believe that you may have selective listening skills. I imagine your conversation with the doctor went something like this "Kamikaze (oh, how ironic a username) based on your pre-existing conditions, your body type, yadda yadda yadda, 125 pounds is not a reasonable or safe goal weight. You will not be able to reach your idea weight. However a more reasonable weight is ____"
    But you zone it all out and only hear that you can't be 125 and it's the end of the world.

I also highly doubt your doctor or nutritionist looked at your log, saw you ate 3 breakfast burritos from McDonald's for breakfast (at almost 1000 calories of your daily 1200, I believe) and told you that you were doing "everything possible" to lose weight on your own.

You have depression and I would believe a myriad of other mental issues you need to iron out before you deal with your weight.
    I think you hit a homerun
  • jella74
    jella74 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    OMG ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? Weight loss surgery and lie to Dr's and insurance to get the surgery??? This is a very dangerous thing to do, especially if you would need surgery after have WLS, cause sleep apnea and diabetes need to be treated differently when they have to put you to sleep. So if you lie and you die or have some serious damage then you'll be your fault. I had a friend who said she had sleep apnea and when they put her under for a hysterectomy she flat-lined but thankfully she lived, cause they gave her the wrong thing because SHE LIED! Now she's trying to sue the crap out of them but can't cause SHE LIED! Is lying worth your life to lose weight when something random can happen afterwards with a horrible result? Just wait a couple of more years Obama will have that surgery covered no matter what insurance requires.

After reading this I am FURIOUS!!!! For many reasons!!!! POCS IS THE MAIN PROBLEM! CONTROL THAT CRAP OR IT CONTROLS YOU, and from what I have read from your post it already has got you in a vice grip and winning that fight!!!!
    TREAT YOUR PCOS FIRST!!!!

I HAVE PCOS and have so far lost 22 pounds from eating only 1200 calories and RUNNING the c2-5k program for 175days. With hardly ever eating back a burned calorie cause I allow myself a cheat day every other week. So I know you can lose weight without trouble.

IF YOU CONTROL YOUR PCOS THEN YOU CAN CONTROL YOUR WEIGHT!!!!!

I have often wondered what would make a person lie to a doctor about certain things. I know that people do it to get pain meds and the like, sadly I understand that. But to lie before any kind of surgery seems, well, stupid. You are putting your life in the hands of the people in that room, they need to know everything about you. Seems like a pretty convoluted way to commit suicide.

My Father in-law works for the anesthesia dept, at our hospital. When I questioned him about this type of behavior he's always said, "When they look at the medical chart to plan out how to put the person under days before surgery they don't call up the person to verify anything because the Dr has confirmed the illness so they have to take it as it is written in the chart. When they are about to put you under some may ask anything we should know about?" The patient says no in fear their surgery gets canceled, or doesn't want to feel like an *kitten* and say oh sorry I forgot to tell you I don't have this wrong with me.

My friend with the faked sleep apnea had no complications during the WLS due to the Dr didn't mark it in her chart until after the surgery. By doing that small mistake I think he saved her life that day. Then she screwed up the next surgery.
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    OMG ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? Weight loss surgery and lie to Dr's and insurance to get the surgery??? This is a very dangerous thing to do, especially if you would need surgery after have WLS, cause sleep apnea and diabetes need to be treated differently when they have to put you to sleep. So if you lie and you die or have some serious damage then you'll be your fault. I had a friend who said she had sleep apnea and when they put her under for a hysterectomy she flat-lined but thankfully she lived, cause they gave her the wrong thing because SHE LIED! Now she's trying to sue the crap out of them but can't cause SHE LIED! Is lying worth your life to lose weight when something random can happen afterwards with a horrible result? Just wait a couple of more years Obama will have that surgery covered no matter what insurance requires.

After reading this I am FURIOUS!!!! For many reasons!!!! POCS IS THE MAIN PROBLEM! CONTROL THAT CRAP OR IT CONTROLS YOU, and from what I have read from your post it already has got you in a vice grip and winning that fight!!!!
    TREAT YOUR PCOS FIRST!!!!

I HAVE PCOS and have so far lost 22 pounds from eating only 1200 calories and RUNNING the c2-5k program for 175days. With hardly ever eating back a burned calorie cause I allow myself a cheat day every other week. So I know you can lose weight without trouble.

IF YOU CONTROL YOUR PCOS THEN YOU CAN CONTROL YOUR WEIGHT!!!!!

When you have sleep apnea, the only thing that is different about having surgery - is that you need your CPAP. In my case, I brought the machine from home. They checked the settings on it and gave it back to my husband. I was then hooked up to a hospial owned machine for the procedure. I have had surgery at 2 different hospitals since I've been diagnosed, and they both do the same thing.
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I am also considering WLS. I am on the last stage of approval for the surgery, actually. The whole process of getting approved and talking about surgery has made me decide to take a better stand (again) on my fitness and what I eat. So I logged back into MFP.

The forums have been extremely helpful for me this go around, as I never used them before. I am SO glad I did. I learned about BMR, TDEE, what a deficit really means, got tips on lifting, encouragement, laughs and more. It's been great. Really.

I have lost about 6 pounds over the last 2 months, but I have more than made up for that in inches. I have way more energy, and I'm educating myself and participating in working on myself each and everyday.

I eat a LOT of protein, I prioritize it above all else. Since we need fat and protein to survive, I make sure I get in some good healthy fats too. Heck, the way I eat is pretty much so simple, I could do this forever (it feels like at the moment) and never get the WLS.

I did a little quick calculation on your stats, and I believe you really need to increase your calories in to around 1900-2000 a day. You might be plateauing because you are eating so little and not the right combinations of foods.

Do more research on what I've talked about, do more forum reading for scientific and proven methods that work for people.

And like everyone else said, seek out counseling. You can do this, you just have to start believing that you can, one little step at a time.