Weight loss surgery...

Options

Replies

• yertua
    yertua Posts: 4
    Options
    I had weight loss surgery ( a band) and that band is now empty and just sitting there doing nothing! i thought surgery was a quick fix, wrong!!! i was uneducated i was constantly sick. i ended up in a&e with an overtight band.
    Now, i take responsability for my weight and since i've learnt to face up to the fact its my fault im fat, and that diets do work ive come a long way|!
    ive lost 60lbs on my own in 14 weeks, i log every food, i read every food.
    If youre not educated about food, surgery will not work and please believe me when i say it is not an easy route.
    and please please dont lie to doctors, grab the abundant support on here and get stuck in and turn your life around.

This happened to me. I got my band, lost 4 stone by eating barely anything and throwing up 95% of what went in my mouth cos the band was too tight - which eventually caused it to slip. Ended up in emergency surgery and in the 3 months afterwards, I put 3 of the 4 stone back on. Now I've got rid of 2 and a half of that 3 stone by myself, through healthy(ish) eating and exercise. Surgery really isn't the easy option.
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Ketoacidosis? Then you ARE diabetic.

And low carb does not cause it.
  • darnnells
    Options
    When you say you were not doing everything you could to lose weight and you had to become brutally honest, what were you not doing if I might ask? I want to make sure that I am not lying to myself as well and I want to learn from others. Self evaluation is key in everything that we do.
  • RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Guess what those weight loss surgeries do? They cause you to lose weight by forcing you to *eat less.* They are not magic. You will still have to get your diet under control. I really can not believe that someone your size would gain weight on 1200 calories a day. If so, then congratulations for having a body that can not only seemingly pull energy from nothing, but also can make new fat tissue out of thin air.

It doesn't sound like you are being honest with yourself about your eating patterns. Maybe seeing a therapist could help you work on this, along with your depression, self-esteem, and self-harming behaviors. I would suggest doing that over trying to game the system to get surgery.
  • ivy9494
    ivy9494 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Why would you risk your life for NOT having the surgery if your life is already already at risk from being so obese? Don't lie to you doctors about your comorbidities ... they will be able to determine them easily enough and will guide you through the process if you're a candidate for surgery or not.
  • AlicynH
    AlicynH Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I had surgery and it's not all a piece of cake. It works for about the first year. I eventually gained back half of what I lost. There are also a lot of complications that can occur from surgery. I was lucky that I came through without any. Some in the support group I went to had horrible ones. Even after surgery you still have to eat right. I didn't. The only way I've lost those pounds I gained is through diet and exercise.
  • drwgal
    drwgal Posts: 66
    Options
    I was browsing your diary, and it appears to me, that you are simply NOT eating right. There was one day where you had a Jelly doughnut as a snack....that doughnut had MORE calories than your entire lunch did. All your snacks are unhealthy, from ice cream, to soda and doughnuts. Mcdonalds for breakfast??!!!! How do you expect to weigh and measure a Mcdonalds breakfast sandwich? You need to choose things like fresh raw baby carrots, or a piece of fruit, or a tablespoon of peanut butter as snacks. I see no way in heck where your eating properly and healthy. If you are only taking in 1200 calories a day, then at least half of those calories are pure sugar and pure JUNK! If this is what the 9 months worth of dieting diary consisted of when you seen a nutritionist, then you need to talk to a different one, because I can sit here and tell you right now, what changes your diet needs.

I know this seems harsh, but I'm just being honest, and I think you need to start being honest with yourself. I seen a few things that looked healthy on your diary, but from what I see about 90% of your diet is crap, and that WILL NOT help you lose weight. I know everyone is entitled to their pity party, but I can't seem to find sympathy to someone who is not taking the necessary steps to lose weight, sure you may be working out, but from the looks of your diary, it will take you 10x more work to get to where you want to be. This isn't about not being able to lose weight, I think this is about self discipline. You MUST stay away from all that crap food if you really want to make progress. It's okay to have something sweet every now and then, but everyday is just not going to cut it for you. I have one day a week where I allow myself a naughty, whether it is a can of soda ONE can, or ONE snickers bar, it's one thing a week. Not 3 things a day. Yes i'm riding your butt about it, because you need to see it for yourself.

I do wish you the best of luck in your journey, but you really, really, need to do some soul searching, and make sure you are HONEST to everyone. When you said you were willing to lie, and commit a crime for WLS, I should have known it was very and highly likely, you are lying about what your eating, and how much you are eating.
  • moxiecowgirl
    moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Ketoacidosis? Then you ARE diabetic.

And low carb does not cause it.

That's not necessarily true. While ketoacidosis is most commonly found in people with Type I diabetes, that's not the only cause. Some liver and kidney disorders can cause it, as well as extreme alcoholism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketoacidosis

That said, you are correct that a low-carb diet doesn't cause it. I believe the term related to low-carb dieting is ketosis, which is not the same thing. But don't quote me on that.
  • 55AngelH55
    55AngelH55 Posts: 117
    Options
    i'm with everyone else. its absolutely despicable that you would LIE in order to get weight loss surgery!!! There are so many other people out there with ligitimate reasons for getting the surgery. Suck it up, stop putting food in your mouth and move your body EVERY DAY!!!!!!!

You are not with EVERYONE else. The girl admits that she is depressed. Don't make it worse.
  • drwgal
    drwgal Posts: 66
    Options
    i'm with everyone else. its absolutely despicable that you would LIE in order to get weight loss surgery!!! There are so many other people out there with ligitimate reasons for getting the surgery. Suck it up, stop putting food in your mouth and move your body EVERY DAY!!!!!!!

You are not with EVERYONE else. The girl admits that she is depressed. Don't make it worse.

The only thing that can honestly make it worse, is her not seeking the professional help that she seems to desperately need. It would not be us or our comments necessarily making it worse, but if she sits there and does nothing about it, it is only her own fault. Her weight is causing the depression, the fact that she cannot seem to eat right is effecting her weight....the truth hurts sometimes, but I think the last thing someone like this needs is a huge pity party. People feeling bad for her will not get her out of the depression or bad eating habits either. There are people out there that go out seeking sympathy from others as a form of attention seeking, but when they sit there and try to make people feel sorry for something they refuse to get help for...it is their own fault. I have clinical depression, severe anxiety, and I used to be a cutter...You don't see me posting this stuff, I went and got help.
  • tanda9
    tanda9 Posts: 1
    Options
    I understand how miserable you must feel, but I do believe that losing weight 'naturally' is the best way... and it is possible most definitely. I would suggest you go to your local (hospital) dietician (might need to be referred by dr.) A meal plan can be prepared for you and with that help and the help here at MFP, you will succeed. Perhaps you are not eating enough? Perhaps you are not eating enough clean, non processed foods? Don't focus on the scale for the first little while being on this 'plan', but focus on your new healthy lifestyle changes. Don't give up on yourself or your family. Look at all the success stories on MFP. Get inspiration from them. I do believe you can do this. Losing weight is never easy or we'd all be skinny. It takes a lot of hard work... but it is going to be so worth it. Hang in there. Before you know it, you'll be posting success stories here. (Oh and don't forget to drink your water). YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
  • schart1978
    schart1978 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hmmm quite dissappointed actually... I had the gastric sleeve last October. I DID HAVE sleep apnea, HBP, GI issues etc. I think its aweful that you want to fake something to have it done when other people would love to be healthy etc.
  • 55AngelH55
    55AngelH55 Posts: 117
    Options

I have clinical depression, severe anxiety, and I used to be a cutter...You don't see me posting this stuff, I went and got help.

..... which simply means you're at a different stage of emotional, psychological, and physical healing than she is. So how can you judge her? You haven't lived her life, and you don't know everything she's going through. I'm not saying lie to her, but there's no need to be harsh and overbearing. Of all people, you should know better.
    Good for you that you went and got help. Clearly, then, there was a point where you needed help and didn't have it. Don't be so hard on her.
  • schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Where to start? First, I had the band placed about 9 yrs ago. Was GREAT for the first months. I went from 274 to about 234. Was thrilled. Then it stopped. I spent the next 8 yrs yoyoing and the lowest I got was 225. After I got pregnant and had my daughter, I was around 240~245. Then I started having complications. I was burping water in my sleep at night, then inhaling it and choking. I couldn't eat anything unless it was slathered in mayo or ketchup, or it would get stuck. I could not eat fruits and veggies. Cookies, milkshakes, processed foods,no problem. I got to the point I couldn't keep stuff down. I knew the band was too tight, and went to the Dr for an emergency unfill(deactivate)the band. I told the dr I wanted to eat fruits and veggies and be healthy, he told me I did not need fruits and veggies to survive. I was to go back in 6 weeks to reactivate the band. I never went back. I ballooned back to 268. Depressed and dejected can't say how horrible I felt. I believed I was doomed , but there was a part of me that knew there had to be a better way. I lived my life believing that skinny people walked around starving all the time. I had a tiny ray of hope - part of me believed there had to be a better way..

And.. I found it! I have done this without the band! I have lost more weight than I did with the band. Feel better, eat what I want, have pizza or Mexican once a week, eat every 2-3 hours, am almost never hungry, have learned to love fruit and veggies started heavier than you, and eat MORE than you.!

You can do this! 1200 calories is way too low for u, I average at least 1500 or more, probably closer to 1700, and I weigh less than u now. You should be eating at least 1700 calories. Surgery will likely not help you, because u are already eating so little for your weight. you CAN do this! Friend me if want... take care
  • Aedrah
    Aedrah Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    This might get buried, but just wanted to add here.
    Surgery is not the answer. I have had 2 close friends who had this surgery. Both lost weight for a year, and then re-gained it and then some. Imagine how mortifying that was for them, not to mention the risks they took and money they spent. All for naught at this point.

I'm not saying the surgery isn't without benefits and I don't know you or your situation, but for the surgery to work, you need to change habits for good and stick with it for life. Not a decision that should be made lightly.

Best of luck to you, and you can do it without surgery!
  • stephanietyler911
    Options
    Hi im stephanie i was also in your place and still are my insurance approved me for surgery the gastric sleave i went through the 6 month of testing and had my app for surgery i called it off two days before surgery i know its hard to loose weight i struggled with weight loss my whole life but i have 3 beautiful children all under 10 years old god forbid i die also i didnt want people to think i took the easy way out doing surgery i decided i was going to loose weight on my own i had lost 60 pound on my own before i went to a weight loss doctor who put me on a 500 calorie diet i walked a hour a day and lost 60 pounds in 2 1/2 months it was hard but i did it and i know you can do can you imagin the feeling you would have doing it on your own its amazeing i started my weight loss last week started at 278 and are now 269 im trying not to eat more then 900 calories a day and walk at least 30 min 3 times a week and its working i find that when i cheated i just gave up and continued eating this time when i make a mistake i dont continue eating and i start all over again the next day set reasonble goals for your self and when you want to eat something eat it just dont eat as much as you usually will if everyone is eating pizza and you know when your not dieting you would eat 3 only eat one and like you i used to be depressed all the time about the way i looked now i just embrase it im beautiful god made me this way but i could be more beautiful if i work hard if you are depressed all the time and dont feel good about your self how can you progress? you need to look in the mirror and say how beautiful you are and you can do it tell your self i can loose weight on my own because im worth it the results from surgery arent perm you can easly gain that weight back prove to your self you can do it you will i know it and i tell my self that everyday kit let me know how you are doing and i will pray for you that you will loose this weight on your own good luck:smile:
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    It's disgusting that you would want to fake a condition for a fast way to lose weight...

I agree. Work hard. It'll pay off. Side note, have you been checked for a thyroid issue, or any other problem?
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Also, how long has it been since you had your child? Could it be that you are suffering from Post-partum depression?

I can't believe it took four pages for the obvious point to be made.

OP go to your doctor NOW. Depression is horrid and when you are in the grip of it your whole life is black.

I didn't start losing weight till I was in therapy. The therapy I did helped me change my mindset and thought process. It wasn't until this happened that I was able to start weight loss. Get the help for your depression. Your weight is really a secondary issue right now.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Ummmm.....no.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Oh, I just read about the thyroid. But come on. I'm 5'2 and my highest was 228, AND am hypothyroid. I've lost 14 lbs in a month and a half, give it time. It will come off. All the negativity and stress isn't helping. I personally think it's completely idiotic you're thinking about surgery so soon. It's NOT a quick fix, and that's what you're wanting it seems.

Hard work and sweat pays off. And the fact that you're so depressed and thinking of harmful behavior.. you need to tell your doctor about that. Meds sometimes help. He/she can prescribe you something that might help with the weight as well.

What ever happened to people just making the most of things and being positive and thankful for what they HAVE in life, as opposed to what they DON'T HAVE. You're healthy, I don't understand why you would want something to be wrong with you to just have an excuse for surgery. Ugh... Come on.

Oh and edit here.. the fact that you said you were/are a cutter, isn't that all about getting attention? Is this post just for attention? I hope for your child's sake you've stopped that foolish behavior.