Cardio Does Not Burn Muscle Mass

Options

Replies

• IAmCorStar
    Options
    Seems to me the general problem with this thread is that it is, in fact, too general. This is definitely not a question of always or never. In most cases you can probably do cardio without burning muscle. In some cases you will burn a little muscle.

So I think everyone should try to take this post more personally. And by that I mean, before you enter into a cardio session, and then maybe again half way through, ask yourself, what are your chances that this cardio will cause my body to dig into muscle?

Someone who's overweight and has recently eaten a big meal, probably doesn't have to worry too much.

Me, a female, at 90 pounds and 11% body fat in a fasted state, probably should worry a little.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Recent studies have shown that middle age men who where sunglasses in a bar and have social media profiles of any caliber with Booger from Revenge as the Nerds not once but twice in their profile pictures are retarded and/or trolls

Here is my source

http://www.flickr.com/photos/discoweasel/1849110911/
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Recent studies have shown that middle age men who where sunglasses in a bar and have social media profiles of any caliber with Booger from Revenge as the Nerds not once but twice in their profile pictures are retarded and/or trolls

Here is my source

http://www.flickr.com/photos/discoweasel/1849110911/

But bro, Booger Presley was on the main guitar thus contributing to the rockin' rhythm and high tech sound that made several coeds move their bodies down to the ground!

Srsly though, i loled for realz
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Hhheeeeeeerrrreeee we go.
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options

>Username troll
    >blonde
    >bikini
    >boobs

Just fell in love what do?
  • Cristofori44
    Options
    < is getting a kick out of being insulted for wearing sunglasses by dudes who count calories and take vanity pictures of themselves in front of mirrors.
  • Troll
    Options

>Username troll
    >blonde
    >bikini
    >boobs

:D free love!
  • Plates559
    Options
    < is getting a kick out of being insulted for wearing sunglasses by dudes who count calories and take vanity pictures of themselves in front of mirrors.

< is getting a kick out of a guy trying to save face while he hides his face behind sunglasses in a bar
  • Determinednoob
    Options

If I had actually insulted you, you would know it. Not that it would be hard, but I'm not bothering. And if you notice, both of my hands are in my avi pic. Maybe dem der glasses messin up da view after all
  • Determinednoob
    Options

>Username troll
    >blonde
    >bikini
    >boobs

Go to back of line?
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Until somebody posts a link to a high quality RTC that demonstrates that a few weekly <60 minute sessions of cardio cause a statistically significant lose of muscle mass in the context a diet that has plenty of protein and an exercise regimen that includes resistance training, than we don't really know if it burns a significant amount of muscle or not.

It's not accurate to try and determine if we lose a significant amount of muscle doing cardio by using our college biochem class to draw conclusions. Sure, gluconeogensis occurs, but how much does really it occur in a half hour cardio session? Furthmore, many very successful body builders do perform cardio. So obviously the effects can't be that detrimental.

For the most part, 99% of the population probably doesn't have to worry about burning muscle by doing cardio less than one hour long.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    Options
    Hey PLATES559, How did you get your Vanity Mirror all the way out there?
  • Cristofori44
    Options

If I had actually insulted you, you would know it. Not that it would be hard, but I'm not bothering. And if you notice, both of my hands are in my avi pic. Maybe dem der glasses messin up da view after all

Do you have anything intelligent to offer to the debate, or not?
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Cardio does burn muscle mass but that's not really saying much as protein turnover happens constantly, even while you sleep. I guess I should stop sleeping then...

I pretty much agree with the OP. Coupling low calorie dieting (particularly if it lacks protein but also carbs) along with excessive amounts of cardio but omitting strength training at the same time is the real problem, not cardio in itself.
  • Cristofori44
    Options

You as well: Anything intelligent to offer to the debate on whether cardio burns muscle mass, or not?
    If you don't have anything intelligent or constructive to say, I suggest you stop posting.
  • Determinednoob
    Options

Do you have anything intelligent to offer to the debate, or not?

If there ever was truly a debate it has long been over. If you want something intelligent, try this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners
  • Troll
    Options
    Awh, wait. now we're dissing sunglasses and mirrors? i like your sunglasses, but i like them because i want a pair. As for vanity posing; add some baby oil and shine up a little. then we can all be happy here.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options

You as well: Anything intelligent to offer to the debate on whether cardio burns muscle mass, or not?
    If you don't have anything intelligent or constructive to say, I suggest you stop posting.

you cant tell us what to do.
  • Plates559
    Options

No u.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    Options

I was not talking to you so stop ease dropping, man the nerve of some people. But since you're here, what debate? The whole first page was people pointing out that this is common knowledge and you have brought nothing new/interesting/different to the table. If this is the type of thread you are interested in here, let me contribute...ahem...Studies have shown you should stay well hydrated through out theday for a healthier lifestyle, doctors and experts agree to theaverage person consuming at least 8 glasses of water a day. Better?
This discussion has been closed.