How much weight do you put on in a 2-week vacation?

Options

Replies

• DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I added 3 lbs on an 11-day outing in June. Finally got it off this week.
  • DeTaart
    DeTaart Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I agree with the "being good".

In my experience:
    - two weeks of logging, enjoying treats but no seconds = +1-3lbs which can be lost again in a week
    - two weeks of "screw it I'm on holiday" = all out binges, feeling terrible and +8lbs which takes two months to shift.

Enjoy it, don't get out of control.
  • hulalipop
    hulalipop Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I always think that I'm going to pig out on my vacations, but somehow I magically lose weight.
  • PhiliciousCurves
    PhiliciousCurves Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I just returned from a one-week vacation in Las Vegas and I only picked up 2lbs! I'm not much of a drinker or party girl, but I did do my share while there! But we also did quite a bit of walking each day taking in the sites and the various tours, so there's no doubt that also helped!
  • greedygirl118
    Options
    It depends completely on where I am. I put on four pounds in a week in France recently, but it came off again pretty quickly. Sometimes I put on only a couple of pounds, sometimes as much as 6 or 7 pounds if it's a two or even three-week holiday. Sometimes it can be nothing - if it's a trip to South-East Asia for example, or this year I went to Cuba where the food isn't that good and I couldn't be bothered to eat it. I don't really care tbh - food is a big part of why I like to travel.
  • carlene7937
    Options
    the good thing is with florida your doing lots of walking so although you will over eat a bit you'll be walking it off at the same time so fingers crossed things wont be that bad, have a fab holiday anyway :)
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I've been on an almost two-week vacation fairly recently and I lost almost 5 pounds. There was a lot of walking going on though.
  • skinnyskittles
    Options
    I hit the duromine when it's holiday time.
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I'm obviously the world's worst.
    I went for a week all-inclusive with my children and decided to try and enjoy myself SENSIBLY.
    First 2 days I just went nuts. Kid in a sweet shop.
    Middle couple of days I calmed down a bit, but still allowed myself a dessert and a couple of drinks in evening.
    Last few days I ate fruit for breakfast and desserts, drank less and avoided the pastries.
    I swam every day (though I am rubbish at swimming so it probably didn't help) and walked around but not very quickly as the weather was beautifully warm.
    Came home full of trepidation at the idea I might have put on 4-5 lbs.
    No, I didn't have a wonderful surprise and discover that I'd lost weight, or only added a couple of pounds...

I had gone up 10lb, yes, TEN.
    I hate that I did that, when everybody else has such positive stories.
    I loved being on holiday, and wish I was still there, but putting that lot on stinks. I'll be shifting it for months.:sad:
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    My vacations are always active vacations (bike tours, long hikes, backpacking trips) so I never worry about gaining weight while I'm gone.
  • mlegosz
    mlegosz Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I make sure to eat at regular restaurants and not at fast food places. I also make sure I do a lot of walking and drink heaps of water. You can make healthy choices, or even then just scale down if you want to go all out. Here are my suggestions:
    1) Fast food for 2 - get a combo and a second burger - share the fries & coke
    2) Desert - share a desert
    3) Booze - get a water with it. If beer, drink light beer. If soda based, get diet soda.
    4) Devise a little 15 minute workout in your hotel room - push-ups, dips, crunches, plank, etc. Better than nothing.
    5) Do at least a few active activities whilst your on vacation. Do a scenic walk, a hike or bike ride. Spend the day at the pool or in the ocean.
    6) Find a local store and get some healthy snacks for "on the road" and breakfast (if its not included)
    7) A dinner, switch between healthy options and not healthy from day to day. i.e. get a burger with fries one night, then the next go for the salmon with salad (go easy on the dressing).

I'm going on a 2 week vacation out to eastern Canada in a few weeks - we'll see how much I can put into practice! At the end of the day it is easier said than done!
  • BSBgirl337
    BSBgirl337 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I know this thread is old, but we go on an all inclusive vacation twice a year, and while yes, I can gain weight while there and never take it off, if I come home and get back to my healthy ways and exercise and drop my calories back down, the weight comes off in a few weeks. Totally worth it for me. I'm vegetarian, so if I don't drink, I might as well not even pay the money to go. I try to make some healthy choices while I'm there, like an egg white omlette for breakfast, etc, but not drinking is just not an option for me. Sometimes in life you need to enjoy yourself!
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    My last vacation was 3 weeks and I lost 4 pounds. I don't eat any differently on vacation than home.
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    We went on a cruise in May and I gained a pound. We went to Disney World in August and I lost 2. I ate similarly both trips, but at Disney I was walking 5-10 miles a day whereas on the cruise I was pretty much a slug.

I refuse to diet on vacation. AIn't happening.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    wow, you actually get a 2 week vacation, lucky you?
    eat
    drink
    be merry
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I lost weight. Eating crap, drinking coke, juice and alcohol all day and spending 8 hours a day reading by the pool.
  • leelxxsh
    leelxxsh Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I put on 1.7 in a 2 week vacation. I didn't count calories, but I still made health conscious decisions. Did I really need to eat the entire bowl of poutine by myself, or could I split it with the rest of my family? Have fun on your trip!
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I was on a 6 week vacation and didn't put on any weight.
  • NinjadURbacon
    NinjadURbacon Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I just got back from one and I am pretty sure i put on a few so I am not going to check, I am just going to kick my own *kitten* and work harder.
  • rita23cunha
    Options
    a pound