How much weight do you put on in a 2-week vacation?

Options

Replies

• jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I just gained about 3 lbs over 2 weeks in England and Ireland. I was very active, but food is big, important part of my foreign travel experiences. I refuse to skip the miraculous brown bread and butter, boxties, fish and chips, local ciders, etc when I will probably never have those experiences again. For the record, though, ice cream from the Windsor Castle cows doesn't taste any different than ice cream from New Jersey cows :)
  • mikeykhan2003
    Options
    In my opinion, it's more important not to come back with any bad habits or weakened resolve than it is to worry about your weight. It's okay to indulge a bit 2 weeks out of the year; the last thing you want to come back with is resentment to your every day choices.

Honestly, enjoy your vacation. Especially if you only get a few weeks a year, by all means blow it out. But come back with the right attitude that with the closing of the vacation window, so does your indulgence window close. And get back to work!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options
    About 6 lbs will just be water weight as your glycogen stores replenish. Glycogen is stored with almost 3 parts water. Just going from deficit to maintenance will replenish glycogen.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    None. Ever. Why should you? I log. I tend to walk a ton. Even if you do 500 calories more a day, you should still break even.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I put on 10 for a week and 1/2 vacation to Disneyworld. Would've been much more if not for all the walking.
    It came off pretty quickly once back on a routine.

Wow, I can't imagine that that was true weight gain, because it would mean an extra 75 000 calories in ten days on top of your normal calories.....
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    What's a two week vacation?

yes, this^^^
  • KMMRN
    KMMRN Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My last vacation (the end of August) I actually lost 1.7 kgs. I ate what I wanted, but was very active....biked 40 -75 km daily, swam for up to 90 minutes every second day, walked 10 km a day. I usually lose weight on vacation, no matter how much I eat....I am so busy having fun!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    My last 2 week holiday was my honeymoon in 2008! We went all inclusive to Cuba. I put on one pound which I was really impressed with. I didn't stuff my face, but I wasn't massively restrictive either, and I had a lot of rum and coke and cocktails. It was hot (obviously) so I don't generally eat as much when it's hot, and I didn't really snack either. The food generally was pretty healthy anyway, lots of fish and seafood, and yummy veggies. If I had ice cream I just had a small amount.

I did lots of swimming, took some windsurfing lessons, went out in a kayak and pedalo, so kept myself active.

My brother put on 9lbs in 2 weeks in the Maldives!
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options

I agree! I barely know what a one week vacation is lately! :laugh:

OP - when I've taken a week vacation, I've gained up to 5 pounds, but as many have stated, it comes back off fairly easily.
  • 424a57
    424a57 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My last two week vacation, I lost 2 pounds.

HackDiet.png
  • emilyabischoff
    emilyabischoff Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Same with me. I gained 7 lbs after a 3 week vacation. But it all came off in about a week. I'm sure it was water weight, or beer weight for that matter. I would suggest to make time of a good walk every day, just to keep things in a bit of a check. Don't fret.
  • Soapstone
    Soapstone Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Why not just plan on eatting healthy and not gaining anything? I think that is part of making health and fitness a lifestyle rather than a phase or diet....

Because you're totally perfect, 100% of the time, right?
  • rayzerwolf
    rayzerwolf Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I lost weight but that was because my vacation is to go trapping and its a lot of physically hard work
  • BSBgirl337
    BSBgirl337 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    We go to Sandals, and there is no way in life I'm skipping out on Dirty Bananas and Hummingbirds for my diet! I'm alloting myself to gain 10 pounds in the week. I don't even weigh myself until I've been home a week, and it usually comes off fast. As long as I come home and go right back to eating right and exercise (which is also hard when "back to reality" depression sets in). But I will do it!
  • blg5
    blg5 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I went on a week vacation to Disneyworld a couple months ago and gained 3 or 4 pounds in a week. I think half of that was water weight from the salty food. It did come off but it also derailed me for a while. Pick a couple of rules to stick with for example nothing fried and at least two fresh veggie or fruit choices a day. It is vacation and while you don't want to be too rigid you also don't want to lose motivation.
  • xmariaxaliciax
    xmariaxaliciax Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've just come back from my two week all-inclusive honeymoon in the Dominican Republic. I had the intention of not eating stupid and exercising everyday. I managed half an hour exercise 9/14 days but as soon as I was let loose with the food my eating well went out the window. We had scales in the bathroom so I knew how much I'd put on but it wasn't a deterrent as I'd already had the attitude I'd probably put on between 7-10 pounds. I know future holidays I won't be as stupid but as this was a special occasion I tried to justify it. Anyhow the results were a 7.6 pound gain and in 4 days since returning I've dropped 3.8pounds of it so just need to get back on track now and lose the rest.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i was on two week vacation about a month ago and I did not put on anything...If you log and get some exercise in you should be fine....the scale did go up from "bloat" and water retention by about two pounds but that has all come off...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I've just come back from my two week all-inclusive honeymoon in the Dominican Republic. I had the intention of not eating stupid and exercising everyday. I managed half an hour exercise 9/14 days but as soon as I was let loose with the food my eating well went out the window. We had scales in the bathroom so I knew how much I'd put on but it wasn't a deterrent as I'd already had the attitude I'd probably put on between 7-10 pounds. I know future holidays I won't be as stupid but as this was a special occasion I tried to justify it. Anyhow the results were a 7.6 pound gain and in 4 days since returning I've dropped 3.8pounds of it so just need to get back on track now and lose the rest.

more than likely this is bloat/water retention as you would of had to have eaten about 25,000 calories over maintenance to put on 7.6 pounds.....
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options

This
  • cruzcrzyMarie
    cruzcrzyMarie Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    My dh and I travel with a scale and weigh daily, just like we do at home. The gains are not worth it!!!