What is the fire that keeps you going?

Options

Replies

• blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    I don't want to be fat anymore. I've been fat all of my life. A few years ago I was the thinnest I'd ever been in living memory and I loved it. Then I sat on my *kitten* for a year to finish my degree, and here I am - back to being fat again. I'm miserable, I feel ugly, my boyfriend doesn't understand where his sexy girlfriend went, I have a wardrobe full of beautiful clothes that cost a lot of money and made me feel like a million dollars, I am determined to get back into them. At the start of this year, I was feeling down about it again, and a friend had a gastric sleeve fitted and lost a lot of weight. She said she woke up happy every day, and for the first time I wondered why I hadn't done that. But I really don't want surgery - plus it costs a lot. So I decided to really go for it on the diet and exercise, to give it absolutely everything I had. So far, so good. I realised yesterday I was looking forward to my day off today, simply because I could exercise! I agree with others who have said it's more a lifestyle change than a diet - I hope to be running for the rest of my life.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    a saying my college golf coach told me......no matter what you doing there's always somebody working harder than you to be better.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Finally feeling in control and feeling strong. Way better feelings than any food could ever give. :)
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I was (and AM) tired of telling myself I "can't" do things. Ya' know what. . .I CAN run a half marathon now at a respectable pace. I CAN lift some hefty weights. . . I CAN fit into a nice single digit size jeans (vanity sizing or not. . .still single digit). . . I CAN!!! That is what motivates me. For the first time in my life, I really think I CAN do things I set my mind to!!
  • friscomerc
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Wow! What an inspiring story. You are truly a special person. Well Done.
  • misao1994
    Options
    For me after every thing, weight loss, weight gain, more weight gain, break ups with my first love of 2.5 years, being cheated on, non-emotional family, low self esteem, self abuse problems, partying and depression; it was the drive to know that something and someone better was for me out there one day. Maybe not yesterday or today or tomorrow, but one day, and that one day I don't want to miss because I know in my heart it'll be worth all the pain and tears and ups and downs. And I know some one will love me for who I am and I'll love myself too and that I'll be in a place I love and surrounded by amazing people. And I couldn't give up on knowing that, so I keep on keepin' on.
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I would always start and stop. Quit. Give up. This time, I've been doing it over 2 years, I refuse to quit. I've learned so much about myself through all this, I know I can finish. I'm working on the last 10 lbs. My father died before he even saw either of his grandchildren. I want to prolong my life for my son, for my future grandchildren (if I'm blessed with any). I want to be the best mommy I can be by setting the example of eating healthy and the importance of exercise.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I knew I could get to my goal weight. I knew that 157 wasn't impossible with a little work. And what I got rewarded with for my hard work was getting 10 pounds below that, wearing a size 4/6 pant and really liking my body. I learned to have a healthier approach to life and food along the way. I'm finally comfortable in a bikini and most importantly naked. I've never been smaller and in better shape in my whole adult life. That's what kept me going, knowing that I could do it.
  • viasophia13
    viasophia13 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    All the perfect blonde girls at school, and my modeling(: so much competition, that i knew i needed to lose a few lbs, and now its habit!! i absolutely HATE not working out for a day, and i actually LIKE running...whaaattt?!?!
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    What keeps me going?

I lost my dad a year ago due to Parkinson's that, often times, leads to dementia. It was a very hard, long rode to see my dad forget, forget and then forget some more. When he asked my mom where she lived, where she was from, after 55 years of marriage and having known her his whole life, I knew I needed to take better care of myself for MY three kids.

I have 3 teens and my husband and I are 50. We still have 3 parents left-my mom and his parents. We know we are having nice times now and realize that having 3 grandparents is nice.

So, long story short, I want to be a grandparent when my kids are old enough and enjoy retirement and all the things that are meant to be.

To exercise, good for my waist, my heart and my brain. To eat better, good for all again. To eat less, less fat, less chances of cancer and better for my waist, heart and brain!!!!
  • choxxxie
    choxxxie Posts: 12
    Options
    My innate belief that I can attain whatever I want if I put my mind to it!
  • gerbies
    gerbies Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness...so many things. In the last 9 months, I have had some starts and stops. In the past, I would just give up and move on back into my unhealthy lifestyle. What I've learned and continue to remind myself is that I can make better choices AT ANY TIME. I do not have to wait for some special date, or to "start on Monday." It can start the minute after I make a choice I'm not happy with.

I also remind myself of how far I've come and look at older photos. I try on clothes that I'm now in, or almost in that would not have been a possibility almost 45 lbs ago.

Finally, when I'm truly being introspective, I think about my health. I am considering having another child. I have had two very premature births (one of my children passed away) and I was heavy during both of those pregnancies. Because I am not sure if my weight caused or contributed to the early labors, I want to weigh much lighter, should I choose to have a child. It's that thought that helps me get back on track when I'm having difficulties.
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Um, taking all of my clothes off in front of the mirror....and if thats not motivation enough, jump up and down a couple of times...naked...in front of the mirror...
    This!!
    I had stopped working out at the end of last summer. I did not like what I saw in the mirror. Looking in the mirror made me mad.
    My husband swatted my behind and said " that felt BOUNCY"
    That was it for me. Never had my behind been bouncy before!! It will never be bouncy again. I can promise you that!
  • RotterdamNL
    RotterdamNL Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    What keeps me going is that there are a bunch of people counting on me to fail, well, i will show them mofo's!!
  • misslegz
    misslegz Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of things....first off...I feel so good! I thought I felt good before I lost the weight. I was very wrong. Nothing hurts anymore when I get up in the morning and I sleep all night. I don't think I had ever slept thru the night before.

The entire transformation of my body is amazing. You never think things are going to change but when they do you don't want them to stop.

Now I am addicted to exercising....not in a bad way where I do it all day but now I can not miss a day of working out. I love that feeling! Exercise is my friend now.

12309460.png
  • RetroSnowflake
    Options
    I'm making positive changes not only to my body, but to my mind as well and I know if I give up, I'll fall down and I'll probably not get up for a while.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    So much of this journey for me has not only been physical BUT mental as well. I didn't anticipate seeing myself in a totally new and different way and for others to see me differently as well. I'd always wished I had someone else's body and now I don't wish that anymore. I'm finally happy with...me. Taken me a VERY long time to be able to say those words and truly mean it.
  • XeniaEn
    XeniaEn Posts: 4
    Options
    Boys, boys, boys
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Chicks.
  • parmanparman
    Options
    I feel like the biggest fuel of all has been my ever-expanding well of sheer will power. It started with wanting to do something about GERD. I have had GERD since at least age 15 and it was getting worse and worse, to the point where I was taking antacids every night a few months ago. On 17 July I had my last cigarette after accepting that yes, I was going to gain weight if I quit smoking. And gain I did! I put on seven pounds in the next two weeks. On 26 July, three days after telling a doctor that I was willing to lose 35 pounds in order to take an endoscopy test, I started using MFP.

With will power, MFP is a no-brainer. Even on days I don't count everything, I am keeping score. As a result, a month after quitting smoking I am 40 pounds lighter and under 190 pounds for the first time since 2004. I decided that even though I am now in healthy BMI range and my GERD is almost completely gone, I want to drop from a size 36 pant to a size 32, which will mean my beloved belly will go away for good. I am really looking forward not looking at that protrusion any more.

I think 1.5 pounds to lose every week is not tough. I add things every week. Two weeks ago I had my first tomato in a year, it was so wonderful I felt myself tearing up. I had to tell people. My taste has returned and the GERD has not. Does life get better? it does!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!