What is the fire that keeps you going?

Options

Replies

• LadyL2012
    LadyL2012 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Seeing my whole family overweight, knowing my genes are against me (although only partly to blame) and knowing I never want to be like that. I know that if I keep it off, I'll never have to lose it all.

But ultimately the feeling I get from seeing results and knowing I am getting stronger everyday.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Diabetes. I had type II. I found out in Dec. 2009. That is what motivated me to change. I was taking all kinds of meds and a injection to control it. My weight, even though I was nearly 500 lbs, was never a issue for me. I didn't care. It wasn't until I found I had diabetes that I also learned about other health related issues I had. High blood pressure, cholesterol, etc etc.

Jan 2011 I lost 100 lbs and reversed the diabetes. I no longer have it. I am completely off all meds. blood pressure is good, cholesterol is great. I can easily become diabetic if I slack off so that is what keeps me going. The weight loss, getting fitter, all that stuff is just the icing (sugar free of course :tongue: ) on the cake.
  • wavedancer123
    wavedancer123 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    For me the fire that keeps me going is me! I so want to be able to succeed and do this for me. I want to be able to buy clothes that I like than to buy clothes because they fit, but might not like!
    To wear belts and show them off, to sit without that spare tyre that I always had!
    I dont want tolook the age of my grandmother, instead of actually looking my younger than my age! To feel fit and heathly and to be able to get my BMI from 29.9 to one of 18-25.I will do it, I have lost 22lbs I still have another 7 lbs to go. What I find now, that friends are starting to say I look ok, but perhaps they are a bit green with enevey that I have loss, but as I advised them I still need to get the ok from my Doctor, who will sign me off once I have lost these next 7lbs, and only then will I know that I am succeed.
    And of course keep it off!
    So I will do it.
  • WhatHayleyEats
    Options
    This may sound silly and shallow but, my fire comes from seeing actresses wearing dresses that I would look so stupid in right now. e.g. When I watch Glee, I always look at the dresses that Rachel Berry wears and feel so depressed that I'm simply too big to wear something like that. The first thing I'm going to buy when I get thin is a bright red baby-doll dress with a WAIST BELT ! Oh, heaven,..
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    This should be in the motivation and support group but anyhow....

I tell myself I'm an athlete now. No excuses.

When Im on the elliptical and I feel like I cant go any longer....I go longer. simple as that. I tell myself that my sneakers are stuck to the pedals and I cant stop until time is up. I may look at the time minute by minute sometimes but I am there doing it.

I would rather feel bad pushing my body for 1an hour then feel bad about it for the next 12 that I didnt complete my task for the day.

I have been a lil off the wagon for a month or so but I have found that if I take a day or two and stop the sugar and high carbs I level out and I do not crave them as much. You just gotta get through a few days of cravings. It will work. You just gotta do it

Just do it. No excuses.
  • HollyLayman
    HollyLayman Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Me!!!
    I MUST do this so that I can prove to myself and to everyone else (especially those who doubt my success) That I did it!!! :D
    Also, to get the freedom of no longer having to worry about weight restrictions or properly fitting in a seat at amusement parks, etc.
    Not to mention the ease of being able to walk into stores at the mall and pick up clothes that are not only my size, but are cheap as well... Because when I go to buy a shirt from Lane Bryant-- whew! Hello, $39.99
  • HollyLayman
    HollyLayman Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    This may sound silly and shallow but, my fire comes from seeing actresses wearing dresses that I would look so stupid in right now. e.g. When I watch Glee, I always look at the dresses that Rachel Berry wears and feel so depressed that I'm simply too big to wear something like that. The first thing I'm going to buy when I get thin is a bright red baby-doll dress with a WAIST BELT ! Oh, heaven,..

Lol!!! Don't feel bad... I think the same thing with all the outfits from Pretty Little Liars! ;)
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Two things, I think. The fact that since I changed my diet, I feel SO much better. And the fact that I am 41 years old, and I know if I did not make changes, my health would have probably started to fall apart before too long. I am still young enough to want to enjoy life, and I was killing myself slowly with my fork. No more.

BUMP.. beautifully said!! and congrats on your wt loss!!
  • mccbabe1
    Options
    Diabetes. I had type II. I found out in Dec. 2009. That is what motivated me to change. I was taking all kinds of meds and a injection to control it. My weight, even though I was nearly 500 lbs, was never a issue for me. I didn't care. It wasn't until I found I had diabetes that I also learned about other health related issues I had. High blood pressure, cholesterol, etc etc.

Jan 2011 I lost 100 lbs and reversed the diabetes. I no longer have it. I am completely off all meds. blood pressure is good, cholesterol is great. I can easily become diabetic if I slack off so that is what keeps me going. The weight loss, getting fitter, all that stuff is just the icing (sugar free of course :tongue: ) on the cake.

BUMP!!! wow amazing wt loss!!!!!!!!!
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I like feeling like me again.
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    For me..now..its more natural to eat well..and exercise..so its like the new me. I feel ill when I make bad choices(tummy aches..head aches) So..even if my weight loss stalls..which it has been...lately.....terribly.. I just keep doing it..because this is who I am now...It just like brushing my teeth now...

If I cant lose the last 15 or so....so be it? But I'll still bust my *kitten* trying to get there! :)

and besides this..all my "bigger" clothes are gone and I dont have the money to buy more..haha:heart:
  • dadof2boyz
    dadof2boyz Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I simply want to remove the doubt that I could've done more... I don't want to be that person that ends up with a serious medical condition from the "choices" I've made, which could've been better. I have a beautiful family and I want to be certain that I am here for them until they have families of their own. I want to make the best choices I can for them and for me.

Yes, times can be bad and there will be days which are dark, but MFP has been able to keep me focused. It's the friends I have here that keep me motivated and pushing through those bad days. Seeing the success people have makes me want it for myself even more and makes me realize I CAN DO IT TOO.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    To be honest, when I set out to do it I just did it. When I seriously set myself to losing weight, I lost it. It doesn't seem as easy now but past success makes pretty good motivation. I know I can do it because I've done it before.

I went from 220 to 120 in less than a year. I can sure as heck lose the 20 lbs I gained back plus a little more.
  • mccbabe1
    Options
    getting rid of the 'baggage' an unhealthy short lived marriage put on... when I hit 199#'s i will cry.. literally freakin cry... lotta personal reasons with that number... but yes... I just started MFP about a month and a wk ago now... and im down 10lbs.. lost 3 before MFP.. so down 13.. was 234 now 221.. and peeps have noticed! (which feels good).. and I dont 'hurt' or really feel 'bad' now... but I am still YOUNG... and ive always exercised regardless of wt (234 was highest ever) but I want to be the wt i was 10 dang yrs ago.. btwn 160-170 or so.. will feel absolutely freakin amazing!!!!! and it can be done... and honestly MFP/friends and accountability on here and friends encouragment/comments.... and having an accountability partner/friend at the gym helps too.. and ive been power walking so much more/longer/faster now! and i bought a HRM (heart rate monitor) to log exact real cals burned in exercise.... and it is such a rush to actually see my heart rate/cals burned as i go.. that i push myself more.. total freakin rush/high.. natural anti-depersant too.. exercise is... and my doggy is toning too! haha.. always take her butt with me on power walks....want to be healthy and comfy
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I'm deathly afraid I would have developed diabetes had I not started losing weight. And theres someone I want to look my best for.
  • thebalanceline
    thebalanceline Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You, know... A LOT of things keep me going, but one thing that "puts a fire" in my step is the satisfaction I am going to get when I can say, "I told you so." And also, "Screw you, I'm too f&*#ing hot for YOU!"
    Ha.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    1. I've served notice on the flab around my midsection. I'm a really sore loser, so I've got to keep going until I get that ab flab under control.
    2. This little monkey. If I don't take care of myself, how do I kick her *kitten* when she turns into a snotty teen?

Paru_602.jpg
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    1. Not having to worry about pictures! I don't have to crop out half an arm or below the bust!
    2. Fitting into jeans that I like
    3. Knowing being fit makes me look and feel younger and that I am respecting my body by eating well and working out
    4. This success stories page, I visit it often and it REALLY helps me to see people who have made so much more progress. It makes me think "if she can keep off 100, I can keep off 15!"
    5. Want to keep getting the compliments :)
  • v3x1m2
    v3x1m2 Posts: 10
    Options
    Tired of being 'oh but you have a pretty face' girl. Its not really deep, but thats what pushes me through the tears and setbacks.
  • seed_of_wonder
    seed_of_wonder Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    if i have the opportunity to look amazing then i should take it.
    its worth having confidence and proving to everyone what i can do
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!