Can a Big Man Get Some Love??!!

Options
Ok, first of all, I understand that there are a TON of people on here who are incredibly fit and healthy. I, however, am not one of those people ... YET!! But I want to be ... I have been big my whole life ... over 300 pounds since high school ... at 400 the last few years ... but I WANT to change!!

As part of my healthier lifestyle, I want to run ... I want to BE a runner!! I want to love it and crave it, like I crave that bag of Doritos!! Here's the thing ... this is HARD!! I have recently started C25K, and so far, so good. I actually really, REALLY like it!! And so far, I have been successful. I even ran my second session in the pouring rain, because I was not gonna be discouraged on the second time!!

This morning, I ran the first day of week 3. I got up at 5am this morning so I could get my run in before work. Again, I know this isn't very impressive for most of the people on here, but I ran for 3 minutes without stopping!! That was AWESOME!! Not only that, but my wife wanted to run tonight ... so after 11 hours of work and commute, I laced 'em up again and ran W2D1 with her. I want to support her ... and I need a LOT of support myself ...

So how 'bout it?? Can a Big man get some love??!!

Replies

• foodisfuelforlife
    Options
    Well done!!
  • redsoxy
    redsoxy Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Great work - keep up the dedication and you'll GET there. Feel free to add me!
  • smhammons
    smhammons Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of us men out here that are doing it one pound at a time do not let anything discourage you. It is so great to do as a couple. Good luck brother and God Bless.

And if you need some good friends just ask always willing to make new ones myself...
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    ~wild applause~
    Good for you and your wife!
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    That is increadible. You keep your head on and your gonna get there. Awesome, Awesome!!!
  • shelbiejo
    shelbiejo Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You don't think that is very impressive?!?! Are you crazy?!?!? That is AWESOME! When I started running I couldn't even run 3 minutes straight. Running is tough for anyone when you haven't ever really done it. You will start to love it though! I am finally getting to the point I love it and I've been doing it for a few months now. You will get there! You are already well on your way! Don't compare yourself to people running 5k's, 10k's, marathons, etc. That is THEIR progress. Only compare to YOUR progress! DON'T EVER SAY WHAT YOU ARE DOING ISN'T IMPRESSIVE!

Completing your own personal goals for the day and seeing progress, impressive!
  • Chipmunk222
    Chipmunk222 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Great Job !
  • babydoll0873
    babydoll0873 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! You have the best support standing right beside you!!!
  • Lauran845
    Lauran845 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I have always dreamed of running. I crave it, however I have always been knock-knee'd and never learned to run properly. As an adult it is just something I am not coordinated enough to do. I tried C25K and quit within the first 5 mins. I can stay on an eliptical for days, but I cannot take the pounding on my knees from running. I also never learned to breath while running, so I basically look (and act) like I am running for my life from a serial killer while I run. It is a mess! You should be very proud of yourself for making a commitment and starting without excuses! Good for you!!! Keep it up and in no time you will be posting before and after pics!
  • BigMike915
    BigMike915 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Wow man that's awesome. Not to long ago I was in a similar situation. It just takes time and determination, and all your goals can be reached. Just remember when things seem like they have stalled or you're not making progress, think back on how far you have come, and push to overcome those boundaries. Weight loss is not a easy thing with dieting, and exercising, but once you get the hang of it, it does become easier, but it will always be a struggle. Just take it a day at a time, and goal after goal. Good luck man, and enjoy your journey. It is so worth it.
  • cruzcrzyMarie
    cruzcrzyMarie Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! KUDDOS to you and your wife. It really does help when you both have the same vision in regards to health and fitness. It is the same way with my husband and I. Keep up the good work!
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I really admire dedication and hard work. I have no doubt in my mind that you will succeed at this! I'll be happy to join your cheering section.
    And hey, is your wife on MFP, too? I'd love to cheer for her as well!!
  • mightymom2
    mightymom2 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    awesome job...just one little step at a time is all it takes, heres to many more runs :drinker:
  • SBlost
    SBlost Posts: 90
    Options
    awesome!! Very happy for you and I myself know how hard it is to run without stopping and 3 minutes is excellent!! Keep up the hard work and dedication and your dreams will come true!!! I am very pleased that you and your wife are enjoying the runs together. When you have that kind of love and support it makes it easier and all the more worth it.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like.
    Thanks for sharing.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Hey! That IS awesome!! Don't downplay your accomplishments! We all have to start somewhere. When I first started running, I could barely make 30 seconds without feeling like I was going to die. Now? Well I finished C25K last month, can run 45 minutes at a time without stopping, and I am signed up for my first 5K race at the end of this month. Congrats to you and your wife for getting started! You won't regret it. This is the best thing you could do for yourself, believe me. HIGH FIVE!
  • 55AngelH55
    55AngelH55 Posts: 117
    Options
    ATTABOY! :)
  • BigDaddy0825
    Options
    you guys are AWESOME!! thank you SO MUCH for the words of encouragement!!

and for lauran ... there is a PROPER way to run?? AND a proper way to BREATHE?? OH CRAP!!

my "run" is more like a wobble i'm sure, and as far as breathing, well, i am just trying to catch my next breath!! BUT, i have to admit ... at 5:30 this morning, i felt like i could beat usain bolt!! (of course i would have kicked him in his little skinny legs first, but i would beat him!!)

Thanks guys!!
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Here's some LOVE! Good on ya - your dedication will pay off in the end and then you can change your screen name to fitdaddy0825!!
  • lrob100
    lrob100 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm so proud of you! Feel free to add me as a friend if you like! I started seriously diet/exercise and myfitnesspal 2 months ago today, with 101 lbs to lose. I couldn't even run 2 minutes. I think the hardest part is getting started. You have taken that HUGE first step. IT REALLY DOES WORK. One step at a time. And if you fail, or have a bad day, the important part is to not get discouraged but just begin anew the next day. That's the best advice I can offer from what I've learned so far in my weight loss journey. Congratulations!
  • Nukkers
    Nukkers Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Absolutely amazing! I feel the same way. I want to be a runner! I want it so bad but I know I have a little way to go before I can start running. So far I walk 3 miles 3 days a week. And I'm trying to get my boyfriend into it to. But you are doing GREAT! Keep up the good work! We WILL get there!