Anyone tried the "lemonade diet/cleanse" ?

Options

Replies

• italia317
    Options
    I tried this a few years ago for about two weeks and i did lose 12 pounds. BUT....gained most of it back. This is just other BS trend. If you are looking to lose weight in the short term such as a wedding, vacation, etc, this will help. The first few days look fwd to headaches and wonderful sessions on the toilet. Overall, not a very healthy way to go.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I know someone who tried it- she got so skinny we lost her!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the quote from WebMD, but I couldn't be bothered to look any further as it basically is on point:

"American Dietetic Association spokeswoman Melinda Johnson, RD, doesn’t see anything positive about this diet plan.

"There is no scientific evidence that you need anything like this or any other detox program to cleanse your body or help you lose weight," she says.

She suggests staying away from smoking if you want to avoid toxins. Otherwise, trust your liver to do its job.

Experts agree that such unbalanced plans are not only ineffective, but are also potentially dangerous, depending on how long you stay on them. Fasting can rob your intestines of healthy bacteria that aid digestion and boost immunity.

Another risk of rapid weight loss is the loss of lean muscle tissue. WebMD fitness expert Pamela Peeke, MD, says that without enough protein in the diet, your body must get protein from some other source -- so it burns its own muscle mass. At the end of the fast, the dieter will weigh less, but his or her body will be higher in fat and lower in muscle.

"Lean muscle and fluids are the first to go on starvation diets, not belly fat," Johnson says. "And the problem is that when you lose muscle mass, you turn down your metabolism, so it is counterproductive when you return to normal eating because you will need fewer calories."

Another problem with this and other fasting plans is that many dieters eat everything in sight afterward.

"Whenever you follow an extremely restrictive diet plan, it is usually followed by an extreme binge," Johnson says.

Her advice: Forget fasting and detoxing. She says there is nothing magical about these kinds of plans, they don’t work long-term, and they ultimately perpetuate an unhealthy relationship with food."
  • jillian769
    jillian769 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I've done it twice. The first time for 9 days and the second for 5 days. With the 9 day time I lost about 14 pounds, and if you continue to eat healthy (count calories) and exercise it will not come back on like people say. It's if you go right back to bad habits, then it comes back on fast. I only gained about 2 pounds of the 14 back because it was water weight, BUT it came right back off when because I continued a healthy lifestyle and then lost about 85 more on my own. The Master Cleanse is hard but it is a great tool to kick start a diet or to get off of a plateau. I actually felt pretty good on it, had energy to work out, and my skin was as soft as a baby's butt. :tongue:
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Just drink more water...
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    its a starvation "diet" total bs by the way- as soon as you eat more than a small smich a day it all comes right back
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a really good idea...
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I tried it and peed yellow all the time.
  • secrets_out
    secrets_out Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Lemonade cleanse? I have used lemons to shine my silver but I'm sure it works in other cleaning solutions as well...maybe vinegar and lemons the clean counter tops. Hope this helps ;)
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    palm to forehead
    that is all
  • ZoeyRobinson
    Options
    I've tried it. DO NOT DO IT!!!

Especially if you have to leave the house at all in those 10 days.

You will shoot fire from your butt and you cannot trust a fart. Seriously your *kitten* will be very angry with you.

Sorry I cannot put it delicately but my god you will seriously be glued to the toilet for those 10 days.

Not to mention the crankies. I was such a mean person my mother tried to force feed me food so I would stop being such a *****.
  • ZoeyRobinson
    Options
    Oh by the way did you see the episode of The Office where Kelly does the cleanse?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv-cWt7L4WY
  • Kluthyy
    Kluthyy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have tried this- NOT worth the weight loss (which is mostly water). I second what everyone else has said. First and foremost, this is not a "detox" at all because your body naturally detoxifies by simply eliminating waste. Secondly and equally important...the weight will come right back on as soon as you maintain a normal diet.
  • Captain_Spatchcock
    Options
    Yes lots of people tried it. Silly them.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Yes lots of people tried it. Silly them.

damnit you just made my lemonade shoot out my nose, that hurt.
    And now I have to clean my monitor
  • 9thwardchick
    9thwardchick Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    The master cleanse is terrible! Don't listen to anybody that tells you that it is a great way to detox and jump start your weight loss. It's bad for the body. Any weight you lose, you will gain it right back. A friend of mine does this diet often and she ALWAYS gains the weight right back. I have been counting calories and regularly exercising for 26 days and have lost 4 pounds. Changing your eating habits and exercising more will be better for you in the long run. Skip this "lemonade" crap.
  • jeniferr59
    Options
    I have done this and it is very harsh. Try BeachBody's Ultimate Rest. It is a cleanse without being drastic.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I've tried it. DO NOT DO IT!!!

Especially if you have to leave the house at all in those 10 days.

You will shoot fire from your butt and you cannot trust a fart. Seriously your *kitten* will be very angry with you.

Sorry I cannot put it delicately but my god you will seriously be glued to the toilet for those 10 days.

Not to mention the crankies. I was such a mean person my mother tried to force feed me food so I would stop being such a *****.

best post I've seen all day :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • LifestyleChange33
    LifestyleChange33 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Just wondering .. I've looked it up and a lot of people talk about 10-20 pounds in 2 weeks time ..
    Just wondering if anyone has tried it and your thoughts on it :)
    It isn't good for you to lose that much weight in a short amount of time. It's water weight for one, and there are lotsa conflicting studies out there about the detriments of losing weight quickly... one that I have consistently seen on here is loose, saggy skin!

Change your lifestyle. This is not a temporary thing you are doing to lose weight, this is a lifestyle change that you are doing for your health- and weight loss will naturally happen between 1 and 2 pounds per week. We didn't gain the weight overnight, and we cannot expect to lose it overnight.

All the best to you!:smile:
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    The Master Cleanse is delicious, but i couldn't live off of it.