weights at the gym...Im scurred :(

Options
13»

Replies

• cherrytulips
    Options
    Everybody looks like an idiot the first time. Even those huge beasts wandering around the gym. They had to start somewhere. Suck it up.
    great advice!
  • ILoveJesus72
    ILoveJesus72 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'm not ashamed to say that a few times I've done things wrong on the weight machines!! LOL I should have asked but I never want to intrude on someone's work out so I just stare @ the machine like a calf looking at a new gate and then try to figure it out.

I should probably ask before I bust a gut embarass myself! :tongue:
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Dont be scared! I love seeing girls workout, regardless of ability. It means they have confidence and are really making an effort to better themselves. Guys like myself probably give the meathead vibe/look in the gym, but I can assure you that most of us really do like seeing girls lifting, and not just because they are eye candy.

Just do it! I remember my first few months in the gym were daunting as well. Just have to suck it up and charge ahead, you wont regret it.

I'd even be thrilled if one of the newer girls sparked up a convo and asked for advice/help. Most of us guys that have been doing this a while really do enjoy spreading the knowledge around.
  • forevercurvy
    Options
    I know EXACTLY how you feel. The 24 hour fitness I work out at, is one with 1 level. So the cardio machines are on one side, and the weights are on the other side. The room is literally divided, men versus women lol. The only woman I have seen on weights was with her husband or boyfriend.
    I finally built up the "courage" to walk over to a machine, the chest press. The machine was sitted too high, so after looking at around to adjust the seat, I couldn't find it, and walked to the locker room, grabbed my bag and left....very embarrassed lol.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    As a few others have said, do your research so that you know pretty much what you're doing when you're in there. If you seem confident, and like you know what you're doing then you will stand out less than the girl new, shy and unsure of herself.

Ignore the other guys as best you can, those who make rude comments are idiots! It may be tough but pretty soon there'll be far more guys who respect what you're doing, regardless of the weight, purely because you have a goal and you're working damn hard for it, that the few idiots won't matter any more :)

When I joined my gym just over 2 years ago, I felt like that too. There are literally no women there, not even fitness model types. I would say it's less than 10 times in all those 2 years that I have seen a woman there (mostly tagging along with bf/husband, or doing cardio)
    For about the first year I went ONLY with my bf. But when I started to get really serious about it, and I realised with our work schedules I can't always be there when he is, I basically had to go by myself. Pretty much everyone knows me, there are lots of poser young guys just walking around flexing, but there's also a lot of regulars that are really friendly, helpful and are willing to spot me. You just have to get to know them :)

If it still stays rude and intimidating after a while of going in there confident with a set goal and working hard, I would change gyms - that is not normal. I would also complain to the manager as I leave.
  • PeterThompson
    Options
    the reason why you are in a gym is because you want to get in shape so why be scurred and for sure those people in the gym knows that that is where everybody starts anyway for me what matter most is that after sometime you and them can see some changes http://bestadjustabledumbbellsreviews.com/