Man, I love Family Guy but...

Options

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I've been through bulimia and back, the eating disorder jokes don't bother me even slightly. When you take Family Guy for what it is, a show that gets its laughs from pure shock value, you need to understand that something isn't less funny because it hits close to home for you personally.

Other peoples' humor doesn't have to bother or offend you if you don't allow it to.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I love both Family Guy and South Park.

In South Park they did an episode about Steve Irwin with a sting ray hanging off his chest. I didn't find it offensive but did think that it was pretty early to do something like that for a second anyway. Still thought it was funny as hell.
    Except that was the entire point of the joke, that it was "too soon." It's the one where Satan is throwing a Halloween party; anyone who wants to come has to be in costume. So Satan walks up to a guy dressed as Steve Irwin with the stingray and says, "Hey, you know some people are saying that this is just really insensitive. I mean, he just died." And the guy says, "Satan, it's me! Steve Irwin!" To which Satan responds, "Oh. Well in that case you're not wearing a costume and you can't be at my party!"
  • secretlobster
    Options
    I love that show even though I'm half black & half gay..

LOL "half gay" that is the best thing I've read today, I'm going to use that from now on. Thanks
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I'm going to hell.. I find everything on that show funny.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I love Family Guy a LOT and it takes me a lot to get offended when it comes to jokes. BUT one joke made me cringe and I thought it was highly inappropriate. It was in an episode where Stewie dresses like a girl and enters a child beauty pageant and says that it's a "one way ticket to a s***n soaked death in a basement." It was obviously a reference to Jon Benet Ramsey,a little girl who did pageants and was raped and murdered and found in the basement of her home. You can joke about a lot of things, but hurting/molesting/murdering a child should NEVER, EVER be one of those things...

I agree. That was too much, and really just awful.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    It pretty much mocks everyone.

Some of the best jokes are the ones that make me slackjawed and say, "THAT ... was HORRIBLE."

...followed by insidious laughter.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Funny is funny....if not change the channel.
  • secretlobster
    Options
    "too soon" is comedian-speak for "funnier now than it will be in six months"
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I'm going to hell.. I find everything on that show funny.
    Me too! I'll see you there!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I turned on Family Guy last week right as the "Prom Night Dumpster Baby" song came on. With other people in the room who aren't that familiar with Family Guy. The whole experience was awkwardly uncomfortable, and I thought to myself "really...how is this funny?"

LMFAO :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I would have died laughing.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I love that show even though I'm half black & half gay..

LOL "half gay" that is the best thing I've read today, I'm going to use that from now on. Thanks

My pleasure :drinker:
  • veerichie
    veerichie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    South Park. Canadians. nuff said.

^this

I hope this is sarcasm. The Canadians on South Park are my favorite! ♥ Ike :)

Ike_Broflovski.jpg
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I love Family Guy, never cared much for South Park.

The way I see it, they make fun of EVERYTHING. So they are bound to hit something that will come a little to close the mark for you. If that happens to me, I chalk it up to not my favorite episode and either change the channel or just don't watch that episode again.

Someone else out there is going to think what offends you is hilarious and you are going to think something that offends someone else is hilarious. You can't please everyone, ever.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I personally never liked Family Guy (I don't mind offensive humor [done right], but the non-sequitur style jokes sort of lose me), but I do actually really like McFarlane as a person, from what I've seen of him in interviews.

To be honest, I find the bulimia jokes on Family Guy to be less offensive than the fat jokes on How I Met Your Mother. At least Family Guy, you go in knowing you're going to hear some offensive stuff.

I know I shouldn't be so bothered by it, but it really gets under my skin when the cast of HIMYM continues to make jokes on how you can't date a fat girl, can't sleep with a fat girl, "omg no fatties allowed" and etc. I remember one episode in which Ted runs screaming from a date once he finds out (through the help of his friends who are trying to 'save' him) that his date used to be fat. So not only are fat girls free game but also girls who were fat and lost a lot of weight. It just really irks me after a while, even though I know I'm being silly about it. Still a good show otherwise, though.

Oh yeah. Good point. I suppose it just depends on the format of the show to begin with. When you know to expect satire, fine but with HIMYM it's just so out of the blue and madly inappropriate.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Family Guy is hilarious but you know what really grinds my gears?

Dr. Oz.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    The purpose of comedy is catharsis, not disrespect. If you hold something so sacred that it can't be lampooned then you should look into why and try to change that, whether it's rape, abortion, eating disorders, death, 9/11, etc.

All of these things have horrible connotations for billions of people, but comedy allows you to laugh about it, which helps you move on from it. No one should ever be offended by comedy.

Oh? You were raped? HAHAHAHA SO FUNNNNY!!!! Can you move on now that we've laughed at you?
    Your child was molested? HAHAHAHA! SO FUNNY!!!!! Laughing at it makes it all better.
    Your husband was brutally murdered, his pieces left across the country? THAT'S COMEDY GOLD!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA!

Right. Because comedy should never be offensive and making fun of these things is SOOO funny.
  • brighteyes31143
    Options
    Family Guy is much more effective than anti-depressants!! :) TWO THUMBS UP!!!!!!!!!!!! Along w/ Its Always Sunny In Philadelphia :)
  • secretlobster
    Options
    Oh? You were raped? HAHAHAHA SO FUNNNNY!!!! Can you move on now that we've laughed at you?
    Your child was molested? HAHAHAHA! SO FUNNY!!!!! Laughing at it makes it all better.
    Your husband was brutally murdered, his pieces left across the country? THAT'S COMEDY GOLD!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA!

Comedy isn't directed at you personally
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    The purpose of comedy is catharsis, not disrespect. If you hold something so sacred that it can't be lampooned then you should look into why and try to change that, whether it's rape, abortion, eating disorders, death, 9/11, etc.

All of these things have horrible connotations for billions of people, but comedy allows you to laugh about it, which helps you move on from it. No one should ever be offended by comedy.

Right. Because comedy should never be offensive and making fun of these things is SOOO funny.

Are you really this upset over a cartoon? :noway:
  • secretlobster
    Options
    Question to those who find certain topics "too offensive" - Do you think that jokes about these topics should be censored? Or are you just expressing your opinion that it offends you personally?