desk jobs

Options
124»

Replies

• mercymarque
    Options
    walk on breaks, sit ups with feet proped up on chair, lunges, wall push ups, seated arm circles, squats
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I drink sooooo much water!!! It makes me use the restroom across the building at least once an hour! Other than that I use good posture and I visit my fellow co-workers when I need to talk to them rather than call them on their phones.

Although, now I may try the exercise ball...sounds interesting!
  • missmayeb
    missmayeb Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Living in Florida doesn't allow this in the summer months... after 1 minute out there I'd be a sweaty mess! hahaha I plan on doing this when it cools down, though. I see ladies do this daily.
    Ha! Same here in Houston. I'd be a hot mess after even a 5 minute walk outside during the day.

I live in FL too and we do two 20 minute walks during our work day. I just wear a tank under my dress shirt and rock it out. I have deodorant and body spray at my desk and a personal fan to cool me off. If someone has a problem with it I just shut my door. But since it actually says in our OM to get up for breaks throughout the day no one says a word.
  • dougt333
    dougt333 Posts: 697
    Options
    One job I used to have we actually had push up competitions. Every once in a while, someone would scream "feet on the desk, and hands wide most pushups wins."
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Holy crap, what a cool job.

Word to all the IT folks in here - I work as an engineer on a sales team. I spend A LOT of time at a desk, on airplanes, and sitting in traffic driving out to customers. I'm lucky enough to be based out of my home office with a decent workout room, so I can duck away for an hour at times and get in a good workout. I'm also a spoiled white guy, so I have a personal trainer come out to my place twice a week and also work with my thai boxing trainer at a gym a few days a week.

I've got a set of resistance straps that I bring with me to hotels. They are rad. I went with some TRX knock-offs called "RIP 60" or something and love them.

I don't know how helpful this is. :)
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I sit in a cubicle all day, and I'm chained to my phone. I walk during my breaks and lunch. Our office encourages "health & wellness", so they have a walking path along the main aisles marked with signs and the number of laps per mile. They do the same thing in the parking lot so you can walk around the building on nice days. I don't really care about distance so much as time. I hate sitting all day, so being able to walk for an hour is really nice.

I have the option of getting one of those desks that goes up and down so I can stand at my desk if I want, but I have to get a doctor's note showing a need for it.
  • robmcd88
    robmcd88 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My job as an Air Traffic Controller really gets me bored too. If I’m not napping on the job I like to Jog around the tower or do some pushups under my terminal. The occasional “close call” certainly gets the adrenaline flowing and I find jumping jacks work well to calm things down :wink:
  • buffybabe
    buffybabe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if you are allowed breaks or where your office building is located, but I take walks on both of my 15 minute breaks. It's not anything huge, but I think it's still helpful.
  • ddyirishgrl
    Options
    I dance to 80s music for an entire song if its good. im up about a couple times a day. it gets my coworkers up to. they love it. we laugh and giggle.
  • Crazibaker
    Crazibaker Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I recently had my desk lifted so I can stand at it now. It's better for the body I can dance around to my music!
  • tslewis84
    Options
    Walk on your breaks. That's what I do.

Living in Florida doesn't allow this in the summer months... after 1 minute out there I'd be a sweaty mess! hahaha I plan on doing this when it cools down, though. I see ladies do this daily.

I live in Florida too, My co workers and I usually change into workout clothes and are able to fit in a 45 minute walk everyday, and that minimizes the sweat...if it's too hot/raining we'll walk the stairs which in our building there are only 3 floors so we walk up one side, cross over and walk down the other side...
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    My IT job has me chained to a desk. Here are some of the things I do.
    1. Prop one of monitors up so I stand part of the day
    2. Stand while on conference calls
    3. Make ever excuse to walk to the cafe on the other side of the campus. Even if I brought my lunch I will walk over to get a fork.
    4. Walk to talk to the coworkers instead of email, it if must be documented, I will send a follow up email after I get back to my desk.
    5. Use and empty conference room to do sit ups, pushups, jumping jacks, etc... even 5 minutes
    6. Walk at lunch or to lunch it eating out. (Keep baby wipes and deodorant at your desk)
    7. use the stairs
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm a lawyer so i sit on my butt ALL day long - for 12+ hours at a time sometimes- I get up as often as i can and print at the printer furthest from my desk. I was debating getting an exercise ball.... does that actually provide any real benefit?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Engineer with a desk job, here. Most of the stuff I do already got posted.

1. Talk to people in person rather than email. One of the product groups I interact with occasionally just moved downstairs from down the hall, so much more opportunity for this!

2. Investigate issues in person rather than have someone else do this for me.

3. Stop by the cafeteria on the other end of campus to get my favorite breakfast. No, it's not MFP approved :-(

4. Don't sweat getting a crappy parking spot. Don't look for a better one, either, just park wherever and hoof it.

5. Schedule meetings wherever, even when it'll be a 5-10 minute walk to the location. I used to postpone meetings till I would get a nearby conference room, but after asking my team members if they cared, and they all said they were fine with it, I just schedule meetings wherever and whenever I want to, carrying my heavy laptop to the location. I don't purposely get the farther room even when one closer by is available, but you can :-). Conversely, attend meetings in person whenever I can, rather than call in, just to get the walk to the conf room, possibly carrying a laptop and/or other equipment.

6. Carry parts, etc yourself rather than ask for help or a ride. I'm not saying break your back, but generally speaking, carrying 20 to 30 lbs about a quarter to half mile total won't kill anyone.

7. Avoid elevators. There just aren't that many buildings in downstate Illinois tall enough to truly warrant using an elevator. I'll attend a conf in a three floor building and they'll hold the elevator for me; no thanks. Again, even when carrying stuff, if it's not heavy enough to kill ya, the stairs still are a great option.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    My job as an Air Traffic Controller really gets me bored too. If I’m not napping on the job I like to Jog around the tower or do some pushups under my terminal. The occasional “close call” certainly gets the adrenaline flowing and I find jumping jacks work well to calm things down :wink:

I am going to assume that you are joking..............