Do MFP friends really help you lose more weight?

Options

Replies

• LisaKunz
    LisaKunz Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It has more than "helped." It's the only reason I've made it this far and am still going strong. I've battled an eating disorder of one sort or another my whole life. I would have given up 52 pounds ago when I had my first "fail" if it wasn't for these friends to kindly knock me upside the head and reassure me that 4 candy orange slices was not the end of the world. In my mind, right at that moment, I had failed and didn't see the point in continuing. But because they encouraged an counseled me, I picked myself up and brushed myself off and I'm still going. I still "fail," sometimes more than others, but I just keep going. It's the accountability thing, as well as maybe a bit of competition, and a whole lot of I-know-what-your're-going-through-and-I'm-here-for-you. I've chosen my friends carefully on here. I've chosen women close to my age who share the same beliefs that I do. I think that helps. My struggles as a middle-aged woman are different than that of a 30-year-old. It's easier for me to listen to someone whom I believe really knows what I'm dealing with.
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I've been on this site for a couple of years now. In the past I tracked food/exercise but I was the only one seeing it. I choose not to have an MFP friends. And I kept failing. 5 months ago, I decided it was time yet again to get back on track only this time I started to add people I saw in the forums who looked dedicated. I have now lost 29 lbs and I have to say, having the friends to support me has really made a BIG difference. Everyones different but I look foward to posting my workouts and food diary and having people cheer me on or encourage me to do better if I'd done bad that day.
  • TamAD48
    TamAD48 Posts: 387
    Options
    The support and encouragement that I get from my MFP friends every day is what has helped me the most to finally stick with this and lose the weight.
  • Dohvb1
    Dohvb1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Guess it depends on what you need for motivation. Personally I am more motivated by looking in the mirror and not liking what I see than getting virtual hugs and congrats from strangers. Some people need that and it helps them accomplish their goals, so it can help.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Not really, they just keep me from quitting. The weight loss/gain is really my own doing.

The not quitting thing has been a big one for me. Normally, in real life, when I'd get to a plateau, I'd get frustrated and give up. My MFP buds have talked me through those times, encouraged me not to give up, and given me ideas of ways to tweak what I'm doing to get things going again. Plus every time I do lose some weight, they give me major cheers for every loss. Which is cool, because a) people in real life would get tired of hearing me tell them about every little pound or 0.4 of a pound lost, and b) it's just cool. They also have inspired me with their fitness achievements, and their daily push to get themselves to work out, all of that is cool, too.

Edit: Oh, this is also because we have real "conversations," in the groups and stuff, not just "great job!" and "way to go!" We do that, too, but we've really gotten to know each other through some groups and those are really the people who have helped me the most.
  • Marie31450
    Marie31450 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Motivational support is important! When I first joined I tried doing it alone, then I decided to introduce myself and have found a wonderful group of friends that inspire me daily! We share tips or just pat each other on the back for each accomplishment..since then I feel my weight is finally starting to go down and my workouts are more consistent and I haven't lost my desire to keep going forward! If I was doing this alone, I might have given up..so friends are important!, if you like please feel free to add me!
  • gc_tweety
    gc_tweety Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    It does help. Of course my friends support me but I have found some strength in being the supporter as well. It keeps me more accountable.
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options
    Guess it depends on what you need for motivation. Personally I am more motivated by looking in the mirror and not liking what I see than getting virtual hugs and congrats from strangers. Some people need that and it helps them accomplish their goals, so it can help.

yes they start of as strangers but the good ones that you end up keeping share everything they are going thru and its real motivation ( i can only speak for the small group that i have ) but each and every one of mine are now good friends and thats because we share a common interest were as our everyday friends and family get fedup of diet /healthy food talk or how many times you ran this week . i hated slimming clubs and meetings cos they were boring but on here i look forward to sharing my daily achievments and seeing others do the same
  • Captain_Spatchcock
    Options
    no.
  • Jaytee79
    Jaytee79 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Some of my friends like to challenge one another...high calorie burns, a certain length of run. Or days when I feel lazy...if I post that I feel lazy they remind me why I want to lose weight. So...I'd say yes, they help me lose.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't think it's a coincidence that this was the first attempt at weight loss that actually worked for me. I always tried to do it on my own with no real support. This time around I had the support of MFP as well as other friends and family. I think it has made all the difference!
  • yroma
    yroma Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    There are studies that suggest weight loss is faster and more permanent with a support system. Makes sense to me. Isn't all change when you've got a cheering section and you're not reinventing the wheel? It's not for everyone but I've had a good experience so far and I've lost weight. Could be a coinky-dink....
  • wattsj56
    wattsj56 Posts: 94
    Options
    yes :)
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    people typically drop about 5lbs instantly when they become my friend.

:drinker:
  • gooellie
    gooellie Posts: 39
    Options
    All my friends are skinny! I would love friends and support system! i heard it is easier beause your frids are supposed to kep you accountable for what yor doing! trust me it is almost impossible alone! my family love junk food and hate the gym! im alone and i been trying for 3 years now alone and didnt ake much progress!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Not me. They entertain me when I'm bored.

Yeah, this. If anything, seeing some of the dietary habits of *some* of my friends would lead me to consider those foods more than steer me away from them. I don't think about pizza or ice cream unless people are talking about it...and next thing you know, I'm thinking about it.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Not me. They entertain me when I'm bored.

Yeah, this. If anything, seeing some of the dietary habits of *some* of my friends would lead me to consider those foods more than steer me away from them. I don't think about pizza or ice cream unless people are talking about it...and next thing you know, I'm thinking about it.

...I all of a sudden have a craving for pizza tonight... damnit J!
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    For me, YES.
    I am completely honest with my logging. MFP friends helped me to log EVERYDAY...even weekends.
    Opening my diary and knowing people will be looking and commenting on my food choices...has made me more accountable in addition to thinking twice before having those TWIX bars that my boss leaves in a bucket outside of her door! I want to be an example for others...and I WANT to be held accountable for when I make less healthy choices. Also, knowing others are watching has eliminated the "I can hide it" factor...VERY empowering and motivating and HELPFUL!
  • ziggyc
    ziggyc Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Sooo, I started reading this thread at the end of my day at work and someone put a cinnamon roll on my desk. I just ate the whole thing. Yep. Lol.
    I am new on here. I joined a couple months ago but didn't really do much. Just started logging my meals again this week. I think getting involved with people on here will help me though so I'm going to try.
  • Jen_Jennings
    Jen_Jennings Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It does help to have a support system. You'll find that you hit it off with a handful of people and can often lean on them for whatever you need to keep you going. I've made one real good friend on this site and really care about many others. Friends keep you accountable.