Do MFP friends really help you lose more weight?

Options

Replies

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I've been using this site consistently for 2.5 years now. I can say with 100% certainty that I would've stopped a long long time ago if it wasn't for the social aspect.

I've always loved working out, and I'm sure I would've still managed to get my eating under control and lose weight BUT not to the extent it has done now. My whole life and goals have switched round since being here. I've learnt so much valuble information, achieved more than I could have without, and want to have a career now in the fitness industry.

For me, without the support system, it's really just a calorie counter.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I definitely like having the support system. Yes, I know in the long run it's all up to me, but having "cheerleaders" definitely helps. I enjoy getting feedback, whether good or bad. My family is supportive, but they really don't understand what it is I'm doing. But they see that I'm happier, and looking better, and that's all that matters. But talking to people who actually understands is awesome.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Yes... Definitely. They held me accountable and I want to make them proud x
  • nrodeback
    nrodeback Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just joined and can use the support, I'll be your friend!
  • I think the right ones do. Im the worse self-motivator..So having a support system that i can also get motivation and advice from works for me. I think it depends on the type of person you are and the type of friends you are making
  • ma_oeuvre
    Options
    For me - yes. I was really lucky, because when I joined I got a ton of adds, and all my friends are very positive, friendly, and like to interact. Because of that, I feel more motivated - I can see how others are doing, get ideas, know I'm not alone in this, and also it's a way of feeling accountable. Like, I made a bit of a fuss about re-starting the 30 Day Shred, and when I don't want to do it, I ask myself - do I really want to admit this after making such a fuss?! You should do this for *you*, and I agree wholeheartedly with that, but at the same time having friends to share the journey makes the whole thing a great deal easier.
  • rhinomom43
    Options
    I am looking for more MFP friends, I only have 6 and only 2 are active. I believe that more friends helps.
  • zentha1384
    zentha1384 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I am looking for more MFP friends, I only have 6 and only 2 are active. I believe that more friends helps.

You can add me if you want (Anyone can) I ask only two things, Please include a message with the invite and Please Don't be Negative.
  • jessicathomas15
    Options
    I think so, not so much for the interaction but just the fact that i'm accountable to others - I know they can see my diary so it stops me eating rubbish! x
  • anjoneill
    anjoneill Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    It certainly helps me. I helps to keep me motivated to see others successes. It also helps to know that someone else is sort of keeping tabs on me. It helps to keep me motivated and honest!

I agree.
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options
    I don't have any MFP friends. Does it really help with the weightloss?

No, they don't help me lose weight. I equate having MFP friends the same way I equate to having non MFP friends. it's nice to have someone to share something with, whether it has something to do with weight loss or just something else that happened to you during the day. It is nice to see a comment or two about something you did, ie; staying under your calorie count, posting a weight loss; or anything else for that matter, the same way it's nice to be acknowledged outside of my MFP world, health wise or not. It's even more nice to actually get to know some of these people, have a short convo with them, learn something about them, what there doing to lose weight, what there doing outside of MFP.

Just like in my life outside MFP, I do what I'm gonna do, regardless, but it's the support people give you, me, that makes it all the more pleasant at times. Just my opinion. FYI, I keep a small friends list, it helps me keep up with my friends on here, and not lose track, sight, of my commitment to them, being supportive, whether they asked for my support or not.
  • momofthreesons
    momofthreesons Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Ummm yeah! It's nice to have a good workout or stay on plan and get encouragement! I also like the tips I get from others on what helps them.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    IN a word, yes. I could never do this alone. I love the "atta girl"'s and the "way to go"'s, but I also appreciate honest feedback, which helps me learn. Now, not everyone is so eager for constructive critcism, as I learned the hard way yesterday when an MFP pal got mad at me, but I think if you keep your diary public, then it's open for comment.
  • annams76
    annams76 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    No but they are a great support system and a lot of times you can get some real good advise. Whether it is about a workout or your diet. Also to have someone there to tell you that you are doing great, even when you feel you are not, helps keep you motivated. Good luck with your continued journey!!
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    it helps me to log everyday, because when i didnt have any friends on here just 2 of my close friends- i barely logged anything or paid attention, but now i am noticing more of what i am eating and looking at my MFP journals, it helps with food options, and getting to know really nice people who have similar goals to you. to me it has been very helpful, and if you like you can add me if you want to.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    A big fat NO! I was on here for a year before I added friends because I wanted to go it alone. Then stupidly I added friends, lots of *****ing and WTG.

To cut a long story short I deleted my account and restarted, would I add friends again...NO!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Another added bonus of MFP friends: you don't have to make a Facebook post every time you go to the gym and drive everyone on your FB friends list crazy. MFP friends tend to be equally obsessed with eating right and working out, so I don't feel like I'm irritating people by posting every last detail of my workouts or eating issues. :-)
  • erinxo13
    erinxo13 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I would say they help me stay on track and encourage me. I'm kind of doing this weight loss thing on my own, except for a long distance friend, so having people on here encourage me and congratulate me for losing or exercising is awesome because I'm not getting that kind of support from people around me in real life. I think it all depends on what kind of friends you have on MFP... I have a group of very supporting people around me. I'm lucky.
  • Lovestoscrapbook
    Lovestoscrapbook Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    IMO, yes. My doctor referred me to this site because I needed education on portion sizes and she said that research has shown that those who have support are 90% more likely to maintain and keep the weight off. I think it depends on how you interact with your friends - if you have them essentially for entertainment, that may not apply but the people I have as friends are people who I feel accountable to and would hope that if I had successive days making poor food choices that they would call me on that and provide encouragement to get back on track.

Plus it helps that I have some people who are truly inspirational with their diet and exercise and healthy lifestyle and so they keep me accountable because I want to get into as good of shape as they are.
  • littlemegzz
    littlemegzz Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Definitely a yes from me. Having the support of my MFP friends keeps my spirits up and also helps me motivated to get on the site to see how they are doing to help support them too.