Lawsuit against ConAgra for misleading Spray Butter

Options

Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Good, I hope more people do the same. Olive oil spray is the same way -- like 1,100 calories a can and the label says zero. They do the same with trans fat. The labeling laws are a joke.
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    I hate those low cal no cal sprays. I used a pampered chef pump when i use oil, so put my own oil in.

Thing is, people need to start taking at least a BIT of responsibility over what goes in their mouths, and not claim to be so naive.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    spray.

"For example, a contributor to (a) website ... writes, 'I could not figure out why I simply could not lose hardly even a pound, even though I was working out hard ... and monitoring calories ... for a couple of years,'" the lawsuit relays. "Well ... I was also literally taking the top of the 'fat and calorie free butter' spray and pouring it on all my carefully steamed veggies when I found out that a bottle of that stuff is 90 fat grams. I was going through two bottles a week, and working out and getting fat and unhealthy."

not sure how I feel about this...
  • kcpsu18
    kcpsu18 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    UMM I don't want to be rude but who unscrews the lid and pours it in their food? It is "SPRAY BUTTER" You are suppose to use a few sprays, not two containers a week!! I can see that maybe they need to put on there the calories for the whole bottle. But come on people!!
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Thing is, people need to start taking at least a BIT of responsibility over what goes in their mouths, and not claim to be so naive.
    Doctors and dieticians tell people to eat that stuff, the FDA says they're safe and then they see the label and it reads zero calories. How is that naive?
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    Doctors and dieticians tell people to eat that stuff, the FDA says they're safe and then they see the label and it reads zero calories. How is that naive?

So the label says the whole thing is 0 calories? Sorry, not something that would happen here in UK, so i guess I can't comprehend
  • kcpsu18
    Options

So the label says the whole thing is 0 calories? Sorry, not something that would happen here in UK, so i guess I can't comprehend

No it says there is 0 in 5 sprays.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options

But there's not zero calories in 5 sprays or the container wouldn't have 800 plus calories in it. It's deliberately misleading and an absolute joke that our labeling laws allow it.
  • mirandamayhem
    Options

but what else does it say? Does it give the amount of calories per 110mls or whatever?
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options

but what else does it say? Does it give the amount of calories per 110mls or whatever?
    Here's a link to the label:
    eqcu8m.gif
    http://www.coheso.com/nutridata/Parkay/Spray/item_details.html
  • kcpsu18
    Options

But there's not zero calories in 5 sprays or the container wouldn't have 800 plus calories in it. It's deliberately misleading and an absolute joke that our labeling laws allow it.

If it is under 5 calories a serving they can label it as zero. A spray uses so little of a bottle that it would be close to zero. A bottle lasts me months. We are too crazy in this country about warning labels. People need to take some responsibility in this country for their own health.
  • Hayesgang
    Hayesgang Posts: 624
    Options
    These are calories in "I can't believe it's not butter" and if you do any type of research you'll find it's 10 calories per teaspoon.

At what point do people start taking responsibility for their actions, it's a joke!!
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    If it is under 5 calories a serving they can label it as zero. A spray uses so little of a bottle that it would be close to zero. A bottle lasts me months. We are too crazy in this country about warning labels. People need to take some responsibility in this country for their own health.

Don't be ridiculous. It doesn't need a warning label just an accurate one. Why in the world would you advocate for deliberately misleading people?
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    The woman caused her own problems. I hope they throw her out of court on her ear.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

Here's a link to the label:
    eqcu8m.gif
    http://www.coheso.com/nutridata/Parkay/Spray/item_details.html

It also indicates that 5 sprays = 1 gram
  • AnninStPaul
    Options

Don't be ridiculous. It doesn't need a warning label just an accurate one. Why in the world would you advocate for deliberately misleading people?

The label is not misleading -- the label indicates that 5 sprays = 1 gram. It's not about the food, it's about the portion control (or lack thereof) exhibited by the consumer.
  • AnninStPaul
    Options
    The woman caused her own problems. I hope they throw her out of court on her ear.

^^HEAR, HEAR!!
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    These are calories in "I can't believe it's not butter" and if you do any type of research you'll find it's 10 calories per teaspoon.

At what point do people start taking responsibility for their actions, it's a joke!!

So should people have to independently research every item they buy? Labels are there to provide that info, and while yes, some poeple don't pay attention to things, I think expecting people to doubt every label and research every purchase is unreasonable. I don't think it's fair to say that people who trust the label are irresponsible. ( though yes, the person pouring half a can on their veggies needs educating)
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options

The label is not misleading -- the label indicates that 5 sprays = 1 gram. It's not about the food, it's about the portion control (or lack thereof) exhibited by the consumer.
    I feel like I'm being punked... LOL
  • cserg
    cserg Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think nutritional labels should be correct if they are required.... period.

While we are at it let's get nutritional information in restaurants too! Then perhaps you won't have people eating 1500 calorie salads and thinking they are making the healthy choice.

Seriously it is hard enough to figure out what to eat when you are trying to loose weight but now we have to be fricking detectives and assume that the labels are lying to us.