Lawsuit against ConAgra for misleading Spray Butter

Options

Replies

• hmgarcia83
    hmgarcia83 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    UMM I don't want to be rude but who unscrews the lid and pours it in their food? It is "SPRAY BUTTER" You are suppose to use a few sprays, not two containers a week!! I can see that maybe they need to put on there the calories for the whole bottle. But come on people!!

put nicely one bottle of spray butter and one small tub of regular lasts me over a month closer to 2 most of the time (depends on hubby on the tub)
  • Babymomakell
    Babymomakell Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    While I agree that she ingested WAY more of this stuff than she should have... I too find the label misleading... she shouldn't have to read the fine print to figure out the calorie intake. It does bother me that companies do this crap just to sell more products, and to me that is misleading...

While I wouldn't be pouring the entire bottle on my food, I prob would be with others who read the label and still missed the calories. It should be listed, period.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I don't feel like the woman was being dumb. If you go off of the label, which is WAY more than alot of consumers do, then what other conclusion would you be able to draw from it that it is indeed a calorie free food. I have used this stuff and had no idea.
    Sure, it DOES say one spray is a serving, but if one spray is "0" calories and the packaging says it is fat free why is it such a stretch that someone would believe that it is a fat free product?
  • jesspi68
    jesspi68 Posts: 292
    Options
    These are calories in "I can't believe it's not butter" and if you do any type of research you'll find it's 10 calories per teaspoon.

At what point do people start taking responsibility for their actions, it's a joke!!

So should people have to independently research every item they buy? Labels are there to provide that info, and while yes, some poeple don't pay attention to things, I think expecting people to doubt every label and research every purchase is unreasonable. I don't think it's fair to say that people who trust the label are irresponsible. ( though yes, the person pouring half a can on their veggies needs educating)

I agree with this, I shouldn't have to double verify everything I purchase. Those labels are there for a reason and it doesn't matter if it has a half a calorie per serving they should have to put it on there. It's delibrately false advertising so they can make themselves look better.

I should be able to look at the nutritional facts and know they are ACCURATE.

And believe me, I'm the first person in line saying how stupid it is that I need to be told that my coffee is hot, or that I shouldn't use a hair dryer in the shower.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    So if people don't think it's a can full of oil/fat, what do they *think* is in the can?

They don't know, but they're still okay with consuming copious amounts of the stuff?
  • Hayesgang
    Hayesgang Posts: 624
    Options
    These are calories in "I can't believe it's not butter" and if you do any type of research you'll find it's 10 calories per teaspoon.

At what point do people start taking responsibility for their actions, it's a joke!!

So should people have to independently research every item they buy? Labels are there to provide that info, and while yes, some poeple don't pay attention to things, I think expecting people to doubt every label and research every purchase is unreasonable. I don't think it's fair to say that people who trust the label are irresponsible. ( though yes, the person pouring half a can on their veggies needs educating)

It was national news when the FDA changed the policy regarding the nutritional values and what could be considered "fat-free", "0 calories" etc.

Yes, we should research and not trust all the labels - Potato chips say 1 serving is "1 oz about 16chips" it's not 16 chips is usually 1.5-1.75 oz - Frozen pre-packaged Tilipa says 4oz but the packaging varies some filets are 3.75 and others are 4.25.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    If it is under 5 calories a serving they can label it as zero. A spray uses so little of a bottle that it would be close to zero. A bottle lasts me months. We are too crazy in this country about warning labels. People need to take some responsibility in this country for their own health.

Don't be ridiculous. It doesn't need a warning label just an accurate one. Why in the world would you advocate for deliberately misleading people?

The label is not misleading -- the label indicates that 5 sprays = 1 gram. It's not about the food, it's about the portion control (or lack thereof) exhibited by the consumer.

Where is it saying that? I see a serving is 1 spray. That is all
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    While I agree that we do need better labeling laws (and laws on food avertising and what chemicals are allowed in our food, etc.), the FIRST thing I look at when buying a product in a package is ingredients, not nutrition info. For example I avoid trans fat and even though the label says "Zero trans fat", if there's anything partially hydrogenated in the ingredients, I don't buy it.

The ingredients in the Parkay spray are water, soybean oil, buttermilk, and salt. We all know that soybean oil and buttermilk is not calorie or fat free. There's just a fine line between consumer responsibility and that of the major corporations.
  • Celestialfairie
    Options
    So if people don't think it's a can full of oil/fat, what do they *think* is in the can?

They don't know, but they're still okay with consuming copious amounts of the stuff?

^^ This.

So the label isn't exactly clear, but it also takes a little bit of thought and common sense. Sure, it could be easy to believe that it's zero calories... but then I'd be thinking: What is zero calories?

If I'm out to watch what I'm eating and lose weight, I don't think I could pour so much 'unknown' oil/fat onto my food.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Anyone can file a lawsuit, winning it is another matter altogether. It boggles the mind that US courts would permit the inclusion of hearsay (ie internet complaints) in a statement of claim.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options

Why wouldn't they be? Calories in, calories out that's all that matters...
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    A sidebar... the rules of hearsay only apply to evidence presented in open court during trial, not in complaint statements or grand jury trials. Sorry I'm a lawyer, I couldn't resist answering that question! :smile:
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Anyone can file a lawsuit, winning it is another matter altogether. It boggles the mind that US courts would permit the inclusion of hearsay (ie internet complaints) in a statement of claim.

Filing a claim and having a court look at the case are 2 different things. I think you're getting ahead of yourself

Anyone can file a claim for anything they want, it does not mean it will go to court
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    The problem is the lack education of consumers in general.

However, I believe nutrition labels are very deceiving, sometimes it's as if you're attempting to decipher hieroglyphics.
    It should not be this difficult to track your nutrients.

What is a spray?
    Pushing the pump down once?
    How many people actually do that?

The point is, we should make it easier for everyone to stay healthy and monitor their nutrition.
    As easy as it is to drive through a fast food restaurant and order a 1500 cal lunch.

It's the FDA & USDA's job to help consumers get educated and I personally don't think they're doing very well.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    When are people going to start taking responsibility for their own stupidity?!

All one needs to do it look at the label. I don't have the Parkay, but I do have ICBINB spray. The 2nd ingredient is soybean oil. Oil = calories and fat.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Why wouldn't they be? Calories in, calories out that's all that matters...

Yeah, I guess that's where I'm different from most people in that I don't think CICO is "all that matters".
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    spray.

"For example, a contributor to (a) website ... writes, 'I could not figure out why I simply could not lose hardly even a pound, even though I was working out hard ... and monitoring calories ... for a couple of years,'" the lawsuit relays. "Well ... I was also literally taking the top of the 'fat and calorie free butter' spray and pouring it on all my carefully steamed veggies when I found out that a bottle of that stuff is 90 fat grams. I was going through two bottles a week, and working out and getting fat and unhealthy."

not sure how I feel about this...

I read that and LOLed!! Ummm, yeah...and why would you do that anyway?? I use a spray butter...not the same brand but it doensn't matter. I use 5 sprays when I use it...which is maybe a few times a week. I haven't had any problems. The bottle is lasting forever.

Of course, if the label is incorrect ( which I suspected all along anyway) then they need to be brought to account. But SHEESH...what did she think she was eating??
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    spray.

"For example, a contributor to (a) website ... writes, 'I could not figure out why I simply could not lose hardly even a pound, even though I was working out hard ... and monitoring calories ... for a couple of years,'" the lawsuit relays. "Well ... I was also literally taking the top of the 'fat and calorie free butter' spray and pouring it on all my carefully steamed veggies when I found out that a bottle of that stuff is 90 fat grams. I was going through two bottles a week, and working out and getting fat and unhealthy."

Two bottles a week would only be 1664 extra calories per week, or split evenly is 238 extra calories a day. I'm sorry, if you're getting "fat and unhealthy" there's more to it than just the butter spray.
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    UMM I don't want to be rude but who unscrews the lid and pours it in their food? It is "SPRAY BUTTER" You are suppose to use a few sprays, not two containers a week!! I can see that maybe they need to put on there the calories for the whole bottle. But come on people!!

I'm with you. If I'm being that careful with my food I intentionally use only 1 or 2 servings.

Also, in USA if it's under 5 cals per serving it doesn't need to be labeled as having calories. And food labels are allowed to be up to 20% different from the actual food contained.
    But none of this is secret info and anyone being careful would know pouring it over your food isn't going to be good for you.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    For those reading this thread, realize that artificial sweetner packets have 2-3 calories as well for most.