COMICS...YES, THOSE WHY ARE YOU LOOKING AT ME LIKE THAT?

Options

Replies

• UNTOLDSMILE
    UNTOLDSMILE Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about DC or Marvel comics. I really like Fables and reading comic memoirs like "Maus", "The Photographer", "Persepolis", and "Fun Home". And almost anything by Chris Ware.

Also, if any of you are interested in abstract art, you should try "Abstract Comics". It's an interesting read on sequential art.

I didn't know they had such comics. He would never do it, but I would love to see Banksy do a comic. I love that guys art.

I can just imagine it now, a four panel comic along some building. Or better yet, one image on each of four sequential buildings. You're right though, not really his style. I actually saw a graffiti artist who did a documented project kind similar where the drawing was redrawn over and over slowly moving from one building to the next so that when all the photos were together it looked like a film of a giant animal moving across the buildings.

That sounds cool. Yeah, I think you are spot on with how Banksy would do it and I WANT TO SEE THAT HAPPEN NOW! That was a great idea about him doing a story on buildings.
  • UNTOLDSMILE
    Options
    Also I read a LOT of japanese comics (manga), though I've noticed those two crowds usually don't overlap a lot. I wish comics from other countries would get translated more often and distributed over here. So far I've only seen two French comics (nothing else really from any other countries). It would be really nice to see what other countries are doing with the medium.

I don't read manga. When I was younger my cousins turned me on to anime, but I haven't watched that in years. I grew up on AKIRA (still love it) so I don't think today's stuff comes close both in story and artwork, but that is my opinion on the matter. I think both DC and Marvel have studios overseas that handle things differently especially when it comes to cover art. Great stuff too.
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Remember it's cool to like this stuff now days! But yes comics are awesome. My buddy has a ton of the walking dead, batman, and spawn comics on his Iphone. Anytime im hangin with him im like can I read that comic. I also have a ton of graphic novels of Batman. Good stuff man
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I love comics. I have some graphic novels on Wonder Woman. I also have a large collection of X-men and JLA. I also have a series on John Carter Warlord of Mars. There were a few years there where the artwork was downright amazing and unlike the movie, the comics followed the actual novel. I've even got some Spanish ones I collected in South America as a teen. Lately, I look for good graphic novels to add to my collection. We don't have really good comic book stores here locally. :sad:
  • berlynn_j
    berlynn_j Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I am currently reading the Sandman series by Neil Gaiman, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8 (I watched the whole series right up until the last season) and my boyfriend thought I would like it :). It picks up right where the series ended.
  • Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt
    Options
    I didn't read them in high school, but in my early twenties I picked up my first real comic (I don't count the preachy Archies at the grocery store), and was hooked. Strangers in Paradise (and I've read just about everything Terry Moore has had a hand in since). Also love the Books of Magic and all the spinoffs thereof, The Sandman series, Fables, Y: The Last Man, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Girl Genius, Too Much Coffee Man, The Tick, and a few choice graphic novels (I particularly loved Blankets and Persepolis). My husband goes for more of the superhero-type comics. Green Lantern and Green Arrow, especially, with Batman and a plethora of mostly DC heroes to boot (though he was just as into The Sandman as I was).
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I used to be a big collector of comics. I still have the collection (a few thousand comics), but haven't been reading anything current in years.

My collection is mainly of :

X-Men (including early issues from 1960's)
    Wolverine and other X-related titles in the '80's/'90's.
    Amazing Spiderman and Web of Spiderman
    Spawn
    The Sandman Series (love, love this!)
    Strangers In Paradise by Terry Moore (have the entire series) <-- my all time favorite comic series
    Other Marvel titles.
    Some Superman, Wonder Woman, Catwoman, and Batman.
    Various graphic novels like V for Vendetta and Box Office Poison.
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    asdfghjkl;'
    <---- Comic geek right here!

Not reading anything right now though :(
    Don't like the new 52 for DC, but I do have the 'Final Crisis' (DC comics) sitting on my shelf waiting to be read! :D
  • Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt
    Options
    I follow like...70+ webcomics. Yes. I have neatly sorted bookmarks in my browser and everything. I love me some comics <3
    Here is an excellent comic that everyone would like:
    http://paranatural.net/chapter-one/

Web comics seem to be taking off.

Oh, I didn't even list the webcomics I read - that list keeps growing, especially now that my comics budget is severely compromised. XKCD, Sluggy Freelance, Questionable Content & Girls With Slingshots to name a few.
  • UNTOLDSMILE
    Options
    I love comics. I have some graphic novels on Wonder Woman. I also have a large collection of X-men and JLA. I also have a series on John Carter Warlord of Mars. There were a few years there where the artwork was downright amazing and unlike the movie, the comics followed the actual novel. I've even got some Spanish ones I collected in South America as a teen. Lately, I look for good graphic novels to add to my collection. We don't have really good comic book stores here locally. :sad:

Sounds like you have some great ones.
  • UNTOLDSMILE
    Options
    I used to be a big collector of comics. I still have the collection (a few thousand comics), but haven't been reading anything current in years.

My collection is mainly of :

X-Men (including early issues from 1960's)
    Wolverine and other X-related titles in the '80's/'90's.
    Amazing Spiderman and Web of Spiderman
    Spawn
    The Sandman Series (love, love this!)
    Strangers In Paradise by Terry Moore (have the entire series) <-- my all time favorite comic series
    Other Marvel titles.
    Some Superman, Wonder Woman, Catwoman, and Batman.
    Various graphic novels like V for Vendetta and Box Office Poison.

That's a lot of books lol
  • HogSandwich
    HogSandwich Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    LOVELOVELOVE the Catwoman comics.

Anyone read Ghost World?

I love Clowes! Preferred Art School Confidential though...
  • HogSandwich
    Options
    I don't know much about DC or Marvel comics. I really like Fables and reading comic memoirs like "Maus", "The Photographer", "Persepolis", and "Fun Home". And almost anything by Chris Ware.

Also, if any of you are interested in abstract art, you should try "Abstract Comics". It's an interesting read on sequential art.

You'd really like Guy Delisle's Pyong Yang. It's autobiographical, a canadian animator who went to live and work in North Korea for a year. Awesome stuff.
  • HogSandwich
    Options
    Also I read a LOT of japanese comics (manga), though I've noticed those two crowds usually don't overlap a lot. I wish comics from other countries would get translated more often and distributed over here. So far I've only seen two French comics (nothing else really from any other countries). It would be really nice to see what other countries are doing with the medium.

there's definitely not much overlap. noticed that in my librarian-ing. I will say that I really enjoyed Hellsing and Deathnote, and struggle to get into any other manga. Going to try Bakuman though and have a shot at Bleach. Baby steps, baby steps.
  • PhotogNerd
    PhotogNerd Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    No comics but I am reading...

Life of Pi

and

The 50 Greatest Mysteries of All Time
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    i love the fables series. i also recently picked up a bunch of female superhero ones.
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options

I don't read manga. When I was younger my cousins turned me on to anime, but I haven't watched that in years. I grew up on AKIRA (still love it) so I don't think today's stuff comes close both in story and artwork, but that is my opinion on the matter. I think both DC and Marvel have studios overseas that handle things differently especially when it comes to cover art. Great stuff too.

Way too true. Most anime today is just little girls bending over. I've been catching up on a lot of older stuff I missed out on like Eva and Ghost in the Shell. I saw Akira when I was in middle school, but I don't remember much about it at all, deserves a proper rewatch. I prefer comic books more than animation. I like the comic form because the reader can add to the experience while reading it. I read Scott McCloud's "Understanding Comics", and in it he discusses how important the lapses in time are for a comic because it allows us, the reader, to fill in those gaps with our imaginations which can heighten the reading experience. Kinda similar to how in a horror movie if you don't see the "bad guy" for most of the movie you tend to imagine something worse than what they've come up with.

I'd like to get into American comics more, but I'm not much of a superhero type person. I've read Watchmen, V for Vendetta, the first volume of Sandman, Ghost World, and maybe a handful of others at the recommendation of a professor which I really liked. Not really sure what else to read. I tried to read The Dark Knight Returns, but I wasn't fond of the pacing/format (at least in the intro). Oh, and Myth Adventures if anyone even knows what that is. lol My dad gave me a ton of his comics from when he was a kid, but I haven't bothered to read any of them, mostly Cloak and Dagger stuff.
  • wbandel
    Options
    LOVELOVELOVE the Catwoman comics.

Anyone read Ghost World?

I love Clowes! Preferred Art School Confidential though...

I'd really like to read Art School Confidential. I watched the movie and thought it was hilarious. I think I may watch it again to pump me up for my next year in art school. lol
  • wbandel
    Options

there's definitely not much overlap. noticed that in my librarian-ing. I will say that I really enjoyed Hellsing and Deathnote, and struggle to get into any other manga. Going to try Bakuman though and have a shot at Bleach. Baby steps, baby steps.

Hellsing and Deathnote are really good, specially for comic fans. Bleach and Bakuman, not so much. I mean, I guess it would depend on if you like long running series that don't do anything. That's the problem with most manga, or it's all fan service. My sister (who is studying to be a librarian yay) and I have started getting more into the japanese indie comic scene. I see a lot more overlap there, it isn't so...pandering I guess. Like they don't feel obligated to fit into what the stereotype of manga already is. Which I like because I want new ideas, not the same thing recycled over and over. I read an excellent series lately called "Pluto", which is loosely based on Astro Boy. I think that would be a good gateway to the notable manga without hitting the pop culture stuff.
  • chunkylover22
    chunkylover22 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Yaay For comics!! I love the new series Witch Doctor, and also Soul fire.

Speaking of "nerdy" stuff.......Does any one play Magic the gathering?