Certified Trainer Here: Here to Help!

Options
124»

Replies

• jayadams86
    Options
    Any recommendations on where to set calorie needs for someone training for a half marathon? I'm 5'5" 160 and am in week 6 of my program. 39 years old. I have it set at 1567 currently and am not losing anything! I'm not gaining either though. When I run, I am starving!!!!

Whats your training look like? You might not be eating enough if your very active in your training. You need calories when training for a half marathon and shouldn't be looking to lose any weight.
  • jayadams86
    Options
    First of all, thank you so much for your kind offer. Secondly, it's real simple, if people don't like what you offer/say, DON'T READ IT!!!! Move on to something else! Lord have mercy, I've never seen so many haters that keep coming back for more!!!

Having said that, I have seen/read every bit of advice you have offered from several different sources. Although, my problem is I am trying several different things at one time and nothing is working! I started out just counting calories, keeping my net at 1200. Then I got impatient and didn't eat back my exercise cals and it has taken me 6 mos to lose 5.5 lbs! I was only netting 300-500 cals/day. Okay, so I FINALLY came to realize that it wasn't working for me...so I started eating them back, adding 2 days of strength and now I have gained 4 lbs back! So, now I am going to start paying attention to carbs (my absolute weakness) to jumpstart my plateau.

My problem is that it is not realistic to think that I am going to stick to 20-25 carbs/day! Am I going about this the right way? I do eat a lot of frozen diet meals as my budget doesn't always allow me to eat cleaner. Any advice you have is greatly appreciated!!!

Your going into a downwards spiral by starving yourself. Netting only 500 calories when your body needs 1200 just to function even if we stayed in bed all day. Also; look into healthier foods. You'd be surprised how eating healthy can save you money. I get 4-5 sweet potatoes at a time and only costs me around 2$. Bags of spinach another 2$ per bag. Chicken when on sale around 2 a lb. all this stuff can last you several days and benefit you much more than tv dinners.
  • gaschwartz
    gaschwartz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am roughly around 210lbs right now to get there I stopped lifting and stuck with cardio in the form of BJJ, MMA, and Kung Fu. I had a body comp done and it said I was right around 25% body fat. Based on this I would need to lose 20lbs of body fat,but also increase my lean muscle mass. I am ready to start lifting again in the mornings as I train at night. I want to gain muscle, but what I really lost was a lot of strength coming down 50lbs from 260lbs. I would like to hover around 200lbs as that is close to competition and fight weight, but I want my 260lb strength back. I would also like to have very good muscle separation as well. It just seems like something is missing right now, and the weight is not coming off like it used to. What can I do, will I put on muscle as fast as I shed body fat. Kind of stuck here...
  • BluthLover
    BluthLover Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    My name is Marie and I'm 5'3. CW is 136. GW is 125.

I was 140 before the birth of my second son. That was my lowest weight ever up till then. I ate around 2200 calories while pregnant and kept up a good workout routine. When I had my son I was around 170. Well I lost it all and more by eating around 2000 calories, breastfeeding and working out. I would exercise on my treadmill at home 30-40 min 5xs a week. Burning around 350-500 calories per workout. I wasn't counting calories. I was indulging every week at least once. On weekends we would go out to eat and I'd eat whatever. I was breastfeeding but by the end I was feeding once a day. Then I maintained 125 well after stopping breastfeeding all together. Then I decided to try for 120. I started running harder. More miles, longer workout. I gained. I tried eating cleaner, I gained. I tried cutting calories. I gain. I tried circuit training and weight lifting and different forms of workouts. I've been to the doctor and a trainer, I've had my thyroid levels checked.

I was around 133 and decided to up my calories. I WAS netting 1200 calories for awhile and all I did was gain. So I upped the net to 1550 3 weeks ago and have gained a few lbs. I eat around 2000 calories a day TOTAL and workout 70 minutes 5 times a week if not more. This includes 50 min of cardio and 20 of weights. I am at my wits end and don't know what to do. Any advice would be appreciated but don't be harsh!!

What really frustrates me is that I used to be 125 and eat the same and workout less.

Please help!
  • fityfriend
    fityfriend Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I recently put on 10pounds over 1 month period or so, I really hate it and have been trying to lose weight but it fluctuates everyday, often i think I've lost weight but i gain it all back the next day. Most of the weight I've gained has gone on my stomach (particularly on my back) and my thighs. I only really want to lose 6 pounds to be at happy weight, I'm vegetarian and eat on average about 1400 cals a day and I dance twice a week for an hour.

If you have any meal suggestions or new exercise tips that would help me to lose the stubborn 6 pounds :) Thanks

CW 112pounds Hieght: 5foot 4 Age:18
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering how to balance a strength training/running routine? I used to just do strength training 4 days a week (2 upper body/2 lower body) and teach my dance class 2 days a week, now I have a new found love for running and have no idea how to add this in? I try to do cardio/weights on separate days so I can use more energy for each. My goal atm is to improve on my running, lose weight and maintain muscle.
  • nolongerme
    Options
    Hi my name is Karen and I just started about 3 weeks ago with MFP. I'm seeing results and I'm feeling great not hungry. I'm looking forward in fitting back into my clothes and I have measured the gap before my zipper will close on my pants is 6 inches, so my question is how much weight would that equal in me losing or is there a ratio for that kind of measurement? I weight 209 lbs and I'm 5'7" and my goal is to get back to 135ish. When I got married that's when I packed on the pounds (it's all my fault though and I know it) my husband is a big sweet eater and he also drinks a lot of soda, but he stays skinny... not fair. LOL I've only had one can of soda, but I don't miss it. I drink lots of water, but that part hasn't changed I've always drink a good bit of water. Any advice would be helpful. I ride a road bicycle and love kayaking. We have been doing a lot of moving and stress with the jobs, so that hasn't helped matters, but now I have landed a great job so things are slowly getting back to some normal state. Thanks for your services. We need more people like you in this world.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Is 6lbs a week really healthy?

I often wonder how those people on Biggest Loser maintain their weight after going home. There is no way I have 4+ hours a day to spend in a gym exercising hard core. I don't think I would even if I did. It's not something I want to do for the rest of my life.

Just keeping it honest.

6lbs a week is healthy for an extremely overweight individual. The 6 lbs is usually in the first week as its mostly water weight. After that it subsides to healthy levels of 2-4 lbs per week. That is when my clients learn to maintain their weight.

So it isn't that your clients lose 6 pounds a week on average. Just in their first week; if they are very heavy. Inflating results like that can cause people to become discouraged quickly. Please try to give accurate information, since you are a professional and all.
  • 19bulldog60
    19bulldog60 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    bump