uhhh, WHAT SCALE? WHAT!?

Options
2»

Replies

• MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I don't own a scale, so I weigh-in at the gym.
    So i'm told scales are frustrating!
    The best brand, I'm told, is the basic model Tanita brand.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Put the scale where you want it first. Then test the weight by putting a 10 lb weight on it (like a dumbell). Since it is a dial scale, you should be able to adjust the needle at zero first, then make sure that it is measuring 10 lbs when the weight is placed on it. That's what I did. Every once in awhile I put the dumbell on the scale just to make sure that the scale is reading right.

Good Luck. Happy Losing:)

OMG -- that is BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would have never thought of doing that! HOLY CRAP ISSUE IS SOLVED!!! You are a genius!!! And I am going to my scale with my weights!!!!
  • gavins1mimi
    gavins1mimi Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Looking for my thin spot now!
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I think Laura C needs some kind of award!!! I found MY SPOT for my scale!!! Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • tipoo
    tipoo Posts: 11
    Options
    I have a digital scale and it does the same thing. I keep it on the same place on the floor, and three times stepping on can get three different results. When it starts it shows a 0 pound weight (before I step on) so it seems calibrated to that at least, but stepping on it seems to have a 3 or so pound error margin, which is really freaking annoying when trying to see one pound increments. Ah well, at least it can tell me that I went down from my original weight consistently, even if it swings a bit. 160-163 to 154-156 is still progress even if I don't know my real weight :P

It also calculates body fat percent, and that's even less accurate than the weight, it goes from 20-25!
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Tip: Move your scale to the thinnest part of the house (that's what I would do!)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Weight is based largely on the pull of gravity. That's why scales can be so off in different places at different times. I read somewhere one time that the earth's gravity pull is strongest in the afternoon, which is why people who weigh in the afternoon see higher numbers. Different parts of your house could be farther from the earth's core which explains the weight fluctuation on your scale. Sounds weird but true.

Ummm...lol. Nope, sorry. Gravity ain't just a good idea - it's the law, and unlike human laws, it's consistently enforced! You weigh more in the afternoon because you've been eating and drinking and have undigested food in your system plus more water.
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I sat mine on the carpet and weighed 70 pounds hahahhahha
  • Presleyforpresident
    Options
    OH WOW thanks everyone!
    i never expected such a nice response! :)
    i definitely need to find my 'thin spot' LOL
    checking the calibration and picking a spot and weighing myself only in that one spot seems like the way to go.

I HOPE EVERYONE IS LOVING TODAY!
    xoxo
  • Sojaided34
    Sojaided34 Posts: 113
    Options
    I have a digital scale. I weighed myself 2 weeks ago i was 190. Last week 185 this week 192. Seems to change as well. No matter where I put it. I just take the first number that pops up. LOL Although I weighed myself at the gym and said i was 188. So who knows what scale works and what doesn't.
  • feather314
    Options
    My digital scale does the same thing and it's driving me absolutely batty. I need a triple beam scale or something!!! Gonna try the dumbell test and see what it says...
  • tipoo
    tipoo Posts: 11
    Options
    Weight is based largely on the pull of gravity. That's why scales can be so off in different places at different times. I read somewhere one time that the earth's gravity pull is strongest in the afternoon, which is why people who weigh in the afternoon see higher numbers. Different parts of your house could be farther from the earth's core which explains the weight fluctuation on your scale. Sounds weird but true.

Ummm...lol. Nope, sorry. Gravity ain't just a good idea - it's the law, and unlike human laws, it's consistently enforced! You weigh more in the afternoon because you've been eating and drinking and have undigested food in your system plus more water.

Lol, I was just about to respond to that. I'm pretty sure the earth doesn't gain and lose mass like we do throughout the day :P

From the start of the day to the end of the day I think I sway about 3-4 pounds, it's what's in your digestive system and the water you drank, not the laws of physics changing themselves :P
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Mine did that - that scale, in fact. I could wiggle it 5 lbs either way. It was okay when I was heavier, but the lighter I got the worse it got it.

I bought a new one and it is dead stable no matter where I put it. $38 well spent.
  • natachan
    natachan Posts: 149
    Options
    It might be a flooring issue. I had my scale tell me I was 90lbs (which would be scary for someone of my build) and I got suspicious. Turns out the flooring was uneven and had some low-density areas. Moving it to a more consistent spot helped.