How to start running?

Options
i've never been a runner, but i would like to be... can anyone help me to know how i should start off, or build myself up from walking to running? i hate treadmills so this would be an actual outside walk turned into run? Anything would help, i have no idea how to begin :)

Replies

• lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    try a couch to 5k program it is a slow progression of running and walking intervals where the running gets longer and the walking shorter!
    they are normally freely available on the internet!

LW x
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

C25K is an awesome program. I started in May and slowly I have built up to a full run. You should invest in good running shoes. Remember success is about pace. RUN SLOW. I cannot stress this enough. If you start out too fast you will not be able to sustain the runs. I over run sometimes, even after three months. You might run slower than you walk, but remember it is about the conditioning not the speed. I do it by time, not distance.

Good luck!
  • firecraker05
    firecraker05 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have never been a runner either, but I started doing couch to 5k, and it's a great program to ease your body into running with a combo of walking/running intervals.
  • dinoskycm
    dinoskycm Posts: 267
    Options
    Yea, definitely don't start too quickly because I injured my knee that way, and I'm trying to get it back to normal now. But once I do, I'm going to start the c25K program so I can do it right! haha Add me as a friend if you want a buddy to do your run with! I'd love to have someone to keep in touch with! :)
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    also think about your style - i injured my knee and got regular shin splints when i run striding out and striking with my heel ( legs straight in front)
    now i have changed to having a more barefoot style landing mid-foot with my legs very flexed (though i don't think the shoes or barefoot/ shod matter its all about technique). this works for me but not for everyone but i have been injury free and am now up to 50 min runs!
    so just listen to your body is all i am saying!
  • Nik0417
    Nik0417 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! i'm going to check out the couch to 5k and the c25k website! and thanks for the tips :)
  • jzsor12
    jzsor12 Posts: 69
    Options
    people usually start from walking or walking with intervals of jogging. Look at the C25K programme
  • callmejessica
    callmejessica Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options
    I have never used C25K, but my friend did and she liked it a lot. I used to HATE running, but I started because it was time for a change and I wanted to challenge myself. I would set small goals to help keep you motivated. I was never really out of shape, but I used to not be able to run a full mile, so that was my first goal. Don't push yourself too hard in the beginning. Set a stable pace and stop if you really feel like you need to stop or slow down. With time and practice you'll get to where you want to be! Then you can start working on your records like faster times or longer distances if you so choose. I also only run outside, not on a treadmill. It will be a rocky road and I'm sure there will be times when you just want to quit altogether, but eventually you'll get addicted! Good luck!
  • masarc
    masarc Posts: 12
    Options
    Use a stop watch and run for 1 min, walk for 2 min, when that's easy run for 1 min. walk for 1 min, later you can progress to running 2 min, walking 1 min and so on
  • Glowbee
    Glowbee Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I also recommend going to a running shoe store and getting fitted for a pair of good running shoes. They will give you a little assessment and show you how your feet land when you run, and talk about the pros and cons of your gait. Then they'll help you pick out a good shoe, show you how to tie up your laces, and you'll enjoy running safely and comfortably. Good luck!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    GET GOOD SHOES!

Go to a specialized running store and have them do a gait analysis and fit you for the right shoe for you. You won't be sorry!
  • karen91967
    karen91967 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    do the couch to 5k program! I just started it this week and it is a ***** but I completed week 1 and I feel great about it!!
  • rebeccaoneillcarter
    Options
    Totally agree with C25K, but also wanted to add that I think good shoes are important. Go to a running specialty store, they'll watch you run (sometimes with fancy gadgets) and recommend a good shoe based on your stride.
  • wxchaser
    wxchaser Posts: 178
    Options
    Probably the best advice I've ever received.

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/How-to-Train-for-Your-First-5K.htm

And download the Couch-2-5K app. It's on Android and iPhone. Best money I've spend on an app in a while. :) Oh, and get some good shoes too.
  • Fred4point0
    Fred4point0 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Everyone has already given you some excellent advice. I would suggest subscribing to Runner's World Magazine to learn about nutrition, techniques and avoiding injury. I have been training for a marathon for 5 weeks and would not have lasted this long if not for the helpful articles. Also invest in several pair of good running shoes fitted by an expert and be sure to practice proper hydration from the start of your training. Good luck.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Good shoes and c25k. I invested like £45 in some reasonable running shoes and just tried. I run for 30 minutes 5 nights a week now, and I really enjoy it.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way, so I decided to start the Couch to 5K (C25K). Previous posts give the web address. There's also group here on MFP that I joined to for help and support.

I did week 1 day 1 monday and barely made it a quarter way through. It's rough. Through this MFP C25K group, I found out that I either need to walk my endurance up or keep doing each day until I can complete if fully. If I can't jog, walk it out and try again at the next interval.

Feel free to add me if you decide to do this and need the support. I am trying again Monday.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    And download the Couch-2-5K app. It's on Android and iPhone. Best money I've spend on an app in a while. :)

I have an android phone and downloaded a free app sponsored by breast cancer society if you don't want to pay for it.
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    Options
    step 1

go to good running shoe store and ask for a fitting. explain you are looking for a beginner shoe. pick a store that has a great reputation and a really good return policy. ( 60 days even if you've run on them)

step 2

set a fixed amount to walk each day. ie 2 miles/5 miles or whatever you are comfortable with

step 3

on your walks do 10 steps of running each mile. (I start with only 10 steps because just about anyone can run 10 steps and sometimes doing whats easy makes it less daunting and easier to get into habit)

step 4
    increase number of steps running each day by 5 ( if you get to a day when you aren't feeling like running go back mentally to the 10 step policy... it mentally makes it easier and chances are once you do the 10 steps you'll keep going)

step 5

repeat until you can run the whole mile... then repeat, increase mileage or tweak for you own personal skill level

voila.. you're a runner
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    C25K for sure, its amazing