"Starvation mode", exercise calories, dillema?

Options

Replies

• MomMel65
    MomMel65 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Bump :-)
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    but for muscle growth? as opposed to weight loss? she was talking about "muscle heads" which would lend more towards HGH than HCG which is being used mostly for weight loss treatment, not muscle growth, admittedly though, I only skimmed the article...

I still have yet to see a negative study on HGH by the way, I haven't taken it, nor have I recommended it, but so far, it seems like a miracle cure for orthopedic issues. Most of the concerns deal with not knowing what long term side effects could be, even though it's been in circulation for almost 4 decades now. Any possible ties to real side effects have been tenuous at best. Other than some joint swelling and skin rashes, there are no confirmed side effects that I'm aware of.

Great point - bet it WAS HGH and not HCG with the Muscle Head comment!
  • vyanadevi
    vyanadevi Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    Pretty much follows everything I learned in nursing classes...excellent read.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Bumping to share. Thanks!
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Nice to see you're still around, Banks, trying to drum some sense into people.

I'm still hanging in-- working on being fit in a fatter body. The ol' bod was damaged with the starvation mode for a long time, and then my thyroid went to hell.

Never giving up, though--

thanks for your efforts to get people to make wise choices.
  • rowdylibrarian
    rowdylibrarian Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    >sings< When the bump bump bumpin' goes bump bump bumpin along...
  • Kerri81
    Kerri81 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read better later.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I made a small error with the BMR calculation guys, it should be mutiply by BMR x 1.25 not by 25%, sorry about that. That one slipped through and now it's too late to edit.

Again, this is only if it's a BMR number, not a TDEE
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lilacsun
    lilacsun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Very informative! Thank you.
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options

What do you mean by underfeeding? Are you saying that people who chronically eat below their TDEE experience adverse health effects? Or when you say underfeeding are you speaking of below BMR?

Also, I really don't understand what you're saying in the last paragraph I quoted. If I go to webMD and use their metabolism calculator to find my TDEE, then why do I need to multiply by 25%?

to answer your first question. Underfeeding is any time you eat below TDEE yes, but as I stated, in order to begin and continue in the process of starvation mode, you must underfeed enough to not be able to maintain the deficit. think of it like this:

if Calories consumed + energy from storage (fat, protein...etc) =TDEE
    then
    You can maintain the deficit and lose fat.

BUT
    If Calories consumed + energy from storage is LESS than TDEE then eventually, your body will continue to use glycogen at a greater rate then it can be created, eventually the body will require a means to balance out, this means adusting the energy burning portions of the body (muscles organs, autonomic functions, heat, immune system...etc)
    This is a long slow process, but eventually it can become dangerous.

AND
    The more fat you have, the larger the amount of energy the body can pull to make the equation above equal out.
    But the body can only use so much fat, because it can't pull fat from unexposed areas (think of a melting ice cube, you can't melt the middle until the top is melted). So there's a finite amount of energy that the body can pull from fat at any one point in time.

as to your second question. I probably should have been clearer on that. WebMD is a TDEE calculator, so no need to multiply by your activity level. If you're using a BMR or RMR calculator then you would, but not if it already asks for your activity level.

Just to add a little piece of data that I found very useful for calculating calorie deficits:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15615615
    Abstract
    A limit on the maximum energy transfer rate from the human fat store in hypophagia is deduced from experimental data of underfed subjects maintaining moderate activity levels and is found to have a value of (290+/-25) kJ/kgd. A dietary restriction which exceeds the limited capability of the fat store to compensate for the energy deficiency results in an immediate decrease in the fat free mass (FFM). In cases of a less severe dietary deficiency, the FFM will not be depleted. The transition between these two dietary regions is developed and a criterion to distinguish the regions is defined. An exact mathematical solution for the decrease of the FFM is derived for the case where the fat mass (FM) is in its limited energy transfer mode. The solution shows a steady-state term which is in agreement with conventional ideas, a term indicating a slow decrease of much of the FFM moderated by the limited energy transferred from the fat store, and a final term showing an unprotected rapid decrease of the remaining part of the FFM. The average resting metabolic rate of subjects undergoing hypophagia is shown to decrease linearly as a function of the FFM with a slope of (249+/-25) kJ/kgd. This value disagrees with the results of other observers who have measured metabolic rates of diverse groups. The disagreement is explained in terms of individual metabolic properties as opposed to those of the larger population.

Basically, the maximum amount of energy that can be extracted from fat stores per day is ~290KJ per kg of body fat, or 31 calories / pound of fat. Anything over that deficit will have to come from other reserves and contributes to underfeeding.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

What do you mean by underfeeding? Are you saying that people who chronically eat below their TDEE experience adverse health effects? Or when you say underfeeding are you speaking of below BMR?

Also, I really don't understand what you're saying in the last paragraph I quoted. If I go to webMD and use their metabolism calculator to find my TDEE, then why do I need to multiply by 25%?

to answer your first question. Underfeeding is any time you eat below TDEE yes, but as I stated, in order to begin and continue in the process of starvation mode, you must underfeed enough to not be able to maintain the deficit. think of it like this:

then

BUT
    If Calories consumed + energy from storage is LESS than TDEE then eventually, your body will continue to use glycogen at a greater rate then it can be created, eventually the body will require a means to balance out, this means adusting the energy burning portions of the body (muscles organs, autonomic functions, heat, immune system...etc)

AND
    The more fat you have, the larger the amount of energy the body can pull to make the equation above equal out.
    But the body can only use so much fat, because it can't pull fat from unexposed areas (think of a melting ice cube, you can't melt the middle until the top is melted). So there's a finite amount of energy that the body can pull from fat at any one point in time.

as to your second question. I probably should have been clearer on that. WebMD is a TDEE calculator, so no need to multiply by your activity level. If you're using a BMR or RMR calculator then you would, but not if it already asks for your activity level.

Just to add a little piece of data that I found very useful for calculating calorie deficits:
    Abstract
    A limit on the maximum energy transfer rate from the human fat store in hypophagia is deduced from experimental data of underfed subjects maintaining moderate activity levels and is found to have a value of (290+/-25) kJ/kgd. A dietary restriction which exceeds the limited capability of the fat store to compensate for the energy deficiency results in an immediate decrease in the fat free mass (FFM). In cases of a less severe dietary deficiency, the FFM will not be depleted. The transition between these two dietary regions is developed and a criterion to distinguish the regions is defined. An exact mathematical solution for the decrease of the FFM is derived for the case where the fat mass (FM) is in its limited energy transfer mode. The solution shows a steady-state term which is in agreement with conventional ideas, a term indicating a slow decrease of much of the FFM moderated by the limited energy transferred from the fat store, and a final term showing an unprotected rapid decrease of the remaining part of the FFM. The average resting metabolic rate of subjects undergoing hypophagia is shown to decrease linearly as a function of the FFM with a slope of (249+/-25) kJ/kgd. This value disagrees with the results of other observers who have measured metabolic rates of diverse groups. The disagreement is explained in terms of individual metabolic properties as opposed to those of the larger population.

Basically, the maximum amount of energy that can be extracted from fat stores per day is ~290KJ per kg of body fat, or 31 calories / pound of fat. Anything over that deficit will have to come from other reserves and contributes to underfeeding.

ooh, that's a great post. Thanks kaervaak! I've been looking for something like this for a while.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options

then

BUT

AND

Abstract

ooh, that's a great post. Thanks kaervaak! I've been looking for something like this for a while.

Wait let me get this right... 31 calories per pound of fat. I have 50 pounds of fat. Theoretically I could lose 1550 calories from fat a day? That doesn't make sense... that's half a pound virtually.
  • proudandprejudiced
    Options
    my BMR is below 1200, so the whole 'eating below 1200 equals starvation mode' isn't appropriate for everyone.
  • j9riter
    j9riter Posts: 20
    Options
    bump to read later
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Save
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Wait let me get this right... 31 calories per pound of fat. I have 50 pounds of fat. Theoretically I could lose 1550 calories from fat a day? That doesn't make sense... that's half a pound virtually.

That's the the theoretical maximum. Most people won't reach that level, you'd have to have quite a big surface area, but yeah, that's how it goes.
  • kevinvs
    kevinvs Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump for later reading