harder to loose with age

Options
124»

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Age is an excuse, not a reason. Is it harder, a little bit. But, you're wiser now. You know that everything you eat has an effect, so you can decide at that moment that you are choosing, if your body needs that food or not.

Last night I felt like I was starving. I searched the cupboards and fridge 25 times looking for something. Fortunately, I no longer buy junk. So, all I had was raw almonds or yogurt. I wound up heating up some brown rice, dicing up some zucchini, and cracking an egg into it for fried rice. That was my night time snack last night.
    Actually, age is a *reason* it's harder. It can be an excuse for not doing it. But yes, it's harder with age. I'm maintaining, and it's taking MUCH more work than it used to.

Why would this issue be any different than any other? We seem to disagree on every god damn point. That's fine. I will maintain that age is an excuse, not a reason. You can maintain the opposite view...the victim view.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The ingredients of fitness are pretty much the same at any age.
    Consume less calories than you expend. Think about the nutritional value of the foods you eat and aim to make the most of your calories.
    Find an exercise that you like, or better several types of exercise, and do them in a balanced approach.
    Personally, I'm 62 and I've been on 1200 calories since Memorial Day last year, (so over a year). I eat back my exercise calories and use an HRM. My favorite exercises are: Jazzercise, walking, Tai Chi, swimming and yoga. In a pinch I'll use an elliptical or treadmill, but find them boring. I do strength training regularly. Over the past year I've switched to a healthier eating pattern, but pretty much eat "normal" food.
    I encourage you to continue on your fitness journey and don't let age worries discourage you.

^^^^ This. Great post.

Totally agree also.
  • lusciousgirl8
    lusciousgirl8 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy rebounding! Try it and you'll be hooked!
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Metabolism slows down significantly as we age. One of the things that helps keep our metablism going is muscle, but that too diminishes as we age, especially females, as we start out with less testosterone Than males thus less muscle mass, thus slower metabolism all due to biology. I would highly recommend a significant strength training time to your week, roughly 3 hours/week. I am not talking mini mouse, 5# dumb bells, either. I am talking something with well, weight to it! Muscle helps speed up metabolism and helps to prevent additional muscle wasting. For every pound of muscle you gain, you burn an extra 45-50 calories/day... It is highly overlooked and for some reason women just don't want to lift weights. However, there is nothing better than reshaping your body, feeling strong, standing taller and presenting re confidently.

Another thing to look at is the soundness of your eating habits. This is NOT a weight loss diet, if it is you will keep gaining and loosing. YOUR succeed mindset needs to change. I came into MFP not to loose weight but to try to learn how to have a healthier relationship with food, one that was neither overindulgent or avoidant of any food... And I am proud to say, I believe I have been successful at this. It s not always easy, the struggle between my brain and my taste buds. I ave written a few blogs about my journey if you want to see the struggles I went through. I learned a lot about mindfulness, mindful eating and not feeding my feelings but nourishing my body. Make sure you know your BMR and NEVER net under that amount. MFP uses 1200 calories/day as a default for most people but it's too low for most people. I sed to "diet" and begin every new years with a 1200 calorie a day diet and by Easter I was done... I just was not able to sustain my workouts etc on that little amount of food. few people can truly be satisfied and able to sustain a healthy body on that little calories, especially if to exercise. Without getting into a debate, eat back your exercise calories... If you can why wouldn't you? Too loose faster only to gain it all us more back in a year? It makes no sense. I like to eat, that's what got me here. If I can eat, then darn it, I am going to eat what I'm allotted in my day! And low and behold I have lost nearly 40 pounds since November 2011 and gained a decent amount of muscle mass.

Last of all, this is not an exact science. learn to know YOUR body. One size does not fit all. if you try something, give it a good 4-6 weeks to notice if it works and change only one major thing at a time.. Youll want to know what does and does not work and if you make too many changes at once you won't know what "thing or things" worked FOR YOU!

Good luck!
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    I am 61 and have been on mfp for about three weeks and have lost 8lbs. I try to stick to my 1200calories and exercise at least an hour per day and quie often two hours. I like to do aerobics and walking. I know I am going to have to mix things up soon because the weight loss won't carry on like this but I am determined, I exercise even when I don't feel like it and I always weigh everything I eat. I never guess. I have been very lucky so far and I know it will slow down.

Good luck everyone and stay positive
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I don't know - I think I've found it easier than when I'm younger - I think because this time I'm really doing it for me, not because of any notions about what I need to look like for anyone else.
    I've exercised more in the last year that I have for... well, ever really. I've eaten better, I'm smarter about what and how I eat, I'm smart enough now to know that I don't have to lose 10kg overnight to be ready for some "really important" event.

So, while there are physical changes with age (I sure wish I'd started running years ago, I probably would have had less injuries) there are mental changes too and that can definitely work to your advantage. Read any post by an 18 year old and you'll feel better about yourself! (Sorry to those mature 18 yo's, I'm sure there are a few of you out there, but mostly your brains just aren't grown up yet!)
  • healthyliving_girl
    healthyliving_girl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I have to admit that I never REALLY tried to lose weight before now....not in any real or consistent way. I was content being chubby throughout my 30s. Sure, I had wanted to lose weight, but I didn't DO anything about it.

A couple months before I turned 41, I decided I needed to commit to it.

I logged my food every day.
    I slowly changed my eating habits, first eliminating all junk food and starting with some easy/light cardio. Then, I added more cardio and really started researching healthful foods to eat. Over time, I slowly started eliminating more "bad" stuff and increasing the "good" habits: shopping at farmer's markets, eating "clean" foods, adding in weights, etc.

In 2.5 months, I lost 10 lbs. The process was a bit slower after that, but I slowly lost even more weight. It's been a year later, and I'm 34 lbs. lighter.

I am focusing more on food choices and exercise, not so much on the scale weight anymore....as I'd rather re-shape my body and gain a couple lbs. rather than lose 10 lbs more and see flabby areas.

This can be done - at any age. I have seen success and struggles at every age from friends. The ones who succeed just keep at it, taking each day...one at a time. :)
  • freya33
    freya33 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have just sarted body pump classes, exercises with weights. I am using 1kg weights, one at each end of the bar. At the strat of the class I was thinking this is easy, half way through it was not that easy. I hope to sklowly add the weights; most are on 2.5 kg then 3.5 and few really fit ones are on 5kg it is almost entirely female. I was suprised how many calories I burnt in that class as I did not get out of breadth at all; I still equate aerobic with high calorie burn!
    I am alternating this class with legs, bums and tums and did I ache afterwards. I have muscles I did not know I had. I have realised that I am changing shape, hips have lost the most and I can now do my jeans up without breathing in first. I think the weight loss will follow but I do feel better and sleeping better. Al;so the slow loss helps the skin adjust as it is less elastic with age.