How about nuts?

Options
I'm incorporating nuts into my diet as healthy snack and added protein when I'm on the go. How many of yall eat nuts on a weekly basis and how much do recommend eating? I've always stayed clear of nuts b/c of the high fat content and calories but have decided to bring them back b/c i really do enjoy them. Is it really worth the fat/calorie budget in a day as far as benefits to weight loss / fitness plan?

Replies

• tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I keep a small baggie of almonds in my purse when I go out. I only eat them if I'm really hungry and don't have anything else. I only eat a small amount, which satisfies me until I have a meal. They have lots of nutritional value so yes, I'd say it's worth adding to your diet, especially since it's super easy to keep on hand. Just watch your portions.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I usually eat them everyday. I just go by the serving size.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    I do love nuts (especially brazil nuts, mmm) but they are super high in fat and calories (although good for many minerals and not bad on protein). I think any food can be enjoyed in moderation - try pre-bagging a weighed amount of nuts to snack on, rather than letting yourself graze on an open bag, as that's just pure temptation to eat too much. I did allow myself a bag of brazil nuts the other day when I forgot to take any dinner to work but I was kind of horrified for what it did to my fat allowance for the day lol.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    yup. I try to keep it to an ounce of nuts at a time. Great source of healthy fats, fiber, and protein. They also help you feel full longer...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I quite often have a 20g serving of cashews/almonds/Brazil's as my morning snack. If they fit in ur cals then ur good to go!
  • pikselinka
    pikselinka Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I can't eat LITTLE nuts, I usually have days when I eat almost nothing but nuts. That's why I can only do this once in a while.

Nuts are dangerous since they're ready to eat from the pack, more temptation with them than normal food ....
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I have them often. I eat 20 to 30 grams / 1oz
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    30g of walnut halves 5-6 days a week. I like having them as my late night snack.
  • scottg1024
    scottg1024 Posts: 224
    Options
    I love nuts. Raw almonds, but I have to make sure and portion-control the bag when I get it. Maybe it saves money getting a big bag, but if it means I eat 2-3 servings then I'd probably be better buying single serving packages. Long story short - get some zip lock snack baggies and pre-bag before taking them anywhere.

Oh, and don't even get me STARTED on pecans... or pistachios!...
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I eat nuts. I have to get the pre package 100 calorie almonds or the 190 calorie engery mix by Planters. I dont trust myself to have a whole bag or jar, I will over do it. :laugh: So Emerald has a box with 7 100 calorie bags in it and I just put on bag in my gym bag to eat after I finish working out
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Almonds, pistacios and walnuts are great...Cashews and macadamia should be avoided...
  • scottg1024
    scottg1024 Posts: 224
    Options
    I love nuts. Raw almonds, but I have to make sure and portion-control the bag when I get it. Maybe it saves money getting a big bag, but if it means I eat 2-3 servings then I'd probably be better buying single serving packages. Long story short - get some zip lock snack baggies and pre-bag before taking them anywhere.

Oh, and Emerald's COCOA almonds!! (crap, just drooled on my keyboard!)
  • marthathebear
    Options
    Healthy fats but fats all the same. Almonds are great, look at serving size and calories per serving.
  • Lipstickcherry
    Lipstickcherry Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Nuts are wonderful. I eat nuts everyday...peanuts, cashews, walnuts, and almonds.
    I should add Brazil nuts yummy.

I tend to buy unsalted ones that usually are raw, not roasted.
    Since I tend to be hypoglycemic, I use them to ward off hunger
    and to not allow a dip in my blood sugar, making me feel more alert.
    I find I don't crave bad food as much. I try to watch my portions.

I really should not be having 3 ounces a day like I do but right now, am adjusting to a new diet plan.

My weightloss is continuing albeit slow. Nuts are chock full of good things for your cholesterol:love: and vitamins, just google them. They are however highly calorictic so use caution. I put some walnuts on my oats this morning. heavenly goodness.
  • Waszo
    Waszo Posts: 41
    Options
    My Dr. told me to eat 1/4 cup of nuts a day. She said the oil in the nuts is good for your body, so I eat very low salt mixed nuts.All nuts have things in them your body needs. So have some nuts.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options

Ohhh pecans... I always forget how nice pecans are till I eat some. Usually atop some hideously calorific pastry with maple sauce NOM... *wonders what they taste like on their own*
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I have a couple servings a day (pistachios and/or Almonds) I bake my bread for my breakfasts (either Banana bread or Zucchini bread) and add pecans to those loaves..... Best of Luck....
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Almonds, pistacios and walnuts are great...Cashews and macadamia should be avoided...

So the fat/fiber/protein content of almonds and cashews are pretty much the same... So why are almonds ok and cashews forbidden? Care to explain that?

Personally I limit my cashew consumption because they are 19$ a pound.. but I love them. I have a tub of the roasted sea salted almonds from Costco and I will have 1-2 servings (30-60g) as a snack when I can fit it into my calories, and I eat peanut butter very often. The health benefits of nuts far far outweigh the fat content (and it's OMEGA 3s, the good ones!).

Almonds are also loaded with tocopherols (vitamin E).
  • SkinnyChemicals
    Options
    Extremely triggering binge food. I try and stay clear of them unless they're incorporated in a bar or meal.
  • Alohathin
    Alohathin Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be afraid of the fat content in nuts. You need a certain amount of fat every day, and the kind of fat found in nuts is the kind that you want.

Naturally, you shouldn't be eating 6 or 7 servings per day, but one serving of almonds is like 24 nuts. So, it's a decent amount. I eat them every day.

You should be looking to reduce the unhealthy fats in your diet, and replace them with nuts, avocados, olives, olive oil, seeds, etc.

Once again, there is nothing wrong with the fat in nuts. As with everything, eat in moderation.