Have a stubborn cat who won't go on walks with you?

Options

Replies

• darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    OP, I used to have a cat stroller. My cats love to go outside, but after one got lost, they are not allowed to free roam. They LOVED the cat stroller. Anything where they can be outside is okay with them. I have tried the cat leash too, and that didn't work so well. They didn't like the idea that someone else was controlling them. Of course!

My neighbor on the other hand walks her cat nightly on a leash. She said she has been doing it since he was a kitten.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I could try to put my cat in a backpack. . . ONCE.
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    :laugh:

I would love to see a cat on a leash actually.
  • pen_thief
    pen_thief Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    :laugh:

I would love to see a cat on a leash actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcCvXr2jAco&feature=fvwrel

It's more of a "meander," as pointed out in the comments. lol!
  • Haylz_ish
    Options
    Love it! Need photos!!

Here is my manx cat outside on a leash :) (and yes it is the breed of cat with a short tail he hasn't been docked or anything lol)
    553079_10150822551955739_273067484_n.jpg
  • paleirishmother
    Options
    My cats would growl and hiss while ripping holes in the stroller with their fangs until they clawed their way out. The would then spray urine on the stroller and take off into the wild.

I'd imagine, anyway.
  • Firephoenix013
    Options
    One, if a cat wants to walk with you, it will. If it doesn't, it won't.
    Two, cats on leashes....not a great idea. It can be done but not a good idea.
    Three.............really? Do you honestly think this is a good idea? Especially for the animals? I had a cat who had never been outside, she accidentally walked out the front door one day (we were moving furniture and she just walked right out not knowing what she had done) and she literally froze on the porch and had one hell of a panic attack. Was not fun.
  • pen_thief
    Options
    OP, I used to have a cat stroller. My cats love to go outside, but after one got lost, they are not allowed to free roam. They LOVED the cat stroller. Anything where they can be outside is okay with them. I have tried the cat leash too, and that didn't work so well. They didn't like the idea that someone else was controlling them. Of course!

My neighbor on the other hand walks her cat nightly on a leash. She said she has been doing it since he was a kitten.

I know some people have had luck with the leash/walking thing. It's probably as rare as finding a cat who likes water :P
    And I hope my cats will love their stroller as much as yours did!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Cat people make me uneasy.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    um.....

why can't you leave the cats at home and go for a walk without them?

just asking.

Dog owners get to enjoy taking their dogs for walks. Cat owners often lament their lack of being able to do this. Seeing how my cats stare out the window, yearning for an adventure, I figure this will kill two birds with one stone. I get my exercise, and the cats get to see the outdoors.

Seriously, you ought to see the way they try to run outside as soon as the door is opened. Only regret is not getting one for them sooner.

Keep us updated on how the stroller works - I have one cat who would love to go outside, but the one time I tried him on a leash, he slipped out of it - luckily I caught him (he's declawed - adopted from a recue that way so I can't take chances with him), but he tries to escape out the door and loves the balcony, so I might try a stroller. Where did you get it?
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I actually thought this was gonna be a joke thread? :laugh: Wow..your cat is gonna yack on your favorite pair of shoes if you make it walk with you.. heh
  • tajour
    tajour Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    MFP will now need to add a new activity:

Walking, 0.2 mph, meandering pace, walking cat
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :drinker:
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options

^ Awesome!
  • polarlove
    polarlove Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    next time someone calls me a crazy cat lady, I'm referring them to this thread... :laugh:
  • pen_thief
    Options
    One, if a cat wants to walk with you, it will. If it doesn't, it won't.
    Two, cats on leashes....not a great idea. It can be done but not a good idea.
    Three.............really? Do you honestly think this is a good idea? Especially for the animals? I had a cat who had never been outside, she accidentally walked out the front door one day (we were moving furniture and she just walked right out not knowing what she had done) and she literally froze on the porch and had one hell of a panic attack. Was not fun.

If my cats showed signs of a panic attack I would give up on the idea. They actually love being outdoors like the girl's cat above. As far as leashes go, I only use those for an occasional "meander" about the yard.

And you could apply your first point to dogs too, I'd think.

On an amusing note, every time my cats see me get out their collars and leashes, they get excited and run up to me in a hurry because they know they're going to get to go outside for a bit. So maybe that counts as wanting to participate.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    This cannot be a serious post. This CANNOT be a serious post. THIS CANNOT BE A SERIOUS POST!
  • pen_thief
    Options
    um.....

why can't you leave the cats at home and go for a walk without them?

just asking.

Dog owners get to enjoy taking their dogs for walks. Cat owners often lament their lack of being able to do this. Seeing how my cats stare out the window, yearning for an adventure, I figure this will kill two birds with one stone. I get my exercise, and the cats get to see the outdoors.

Seriously, you ought to see the way they try to run outside as soon as the door is opened. Only regret is not getting one for them sooner.

Keep us updated on how the stroller works - I have one cat who would love to go outside, but the one time I tried him on a leash, he slipped out of it - luckily I caught him (he's declawed - adopted from a recue that way so I can't take chances with him), but he tries to escape out the door and loves the balcony, so I might try a stroller. Where did you get it?

Amazon sells several models :)
  • jenhaze
    jenhaze Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think it's a fantastic idea and I would love to put my cat in a stroller for a walk. Excited to see how well it goes.
  • KittenKittyKitteh
    KittenKittyKitteh Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Tony Danza absolutely loves going to the park. We recently explored Petco where he got to see mice, birds, and guinea pigs. Once we got the harness, it took him about a week to warm up to it. We never drag him or force him to go. He loves the car too!

416574_404419722905428_1200083407_o.jpg