Plus Size Self Esteem

Replies

• AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    One thing I can say, is when i am at my goal weight, I will not be sitting back, telling everyone else who is overweight how gross and sad they are as human beings.

I don't get how some people end up being that way.

High five, bitty! High.. mother lovin'... five.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    You all keep going on being happy with yourself. Much luck to you. I prefer the method that takes me to true health. You can get angry with me all you like...but you're really angry with yourself.

How do you get that we all hate ourselves and are angry with ourselves and that we won't have any luck in trying to get fit (cuz we're all currently logged in to MFP right now) just because we are happy human beings, regardless of our weight? Your logic makes no sense. Maybe YOU hated yourself fat, but I've never hated myself, so I'm just going to chalk this up to the fact that we're all different, and you simply can't understand someone being overweight and happy because you weren't. Agree to disagree.
  • jlwbeans0823
    jlwbeans0823 Posts: 178 Member
    I just want to say thank you to the people who are trying to keep this forum positive. :)
  • ckay220
    ckay220 Posts: 271 Member
    One thing I can say, is when i am at my goal weight, I will not be sitting back, telling everyone else who is overweight how gross and sad they are as human beings.

For the record I said no such thing, but it is telling that by saying I dont like the word plus size or feeling sorry gets turned into that.

"If u r plus sized and happy with yourself....I feel sorry for you. ".. yes, this quote makes me feel.. or gives me the impression, that its SAD that they are happy with themselves.. or loves themselves...
    ^^^^
    It seems to me that you're categorizing all plus sized people in this box that should be filled with depressing thoughts and self-hate. That even if they are overweight, that's ALL they have going for them. Weight is really not everything...Maybe they're happy with themselves for graduating college, for getting a new job, for getting over an illness...Maybe when you were 341 pounds, you were disgusted by yourself and had the lowest amount of self-esteem and couldn't get past the fact that you were overweight/obese. But some people who are plus sized don't feel sorry for themselves because they don't let their weight define who they are. This is not saying, however, that being overweight is a good thing..because it isn't the best thing to harm your body by feeding it the wrong things...HOWEVER, that isn't the end of them, the end of their self-esteem. To be able to feel beautiful at any size is a challenge. And to the individuals who can do this whole..happiness thing, it's nice to see.
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    You all keep going on being happy with yourself. Much luck to you. I prefer the method that takes me to true health. You can get angry with me all you like...but you're really angry with yourself.

I think most people are angry at you for interloping on a thread. Also, "true health" is not just physical health, but, also, mental and spirtual health. How is that going for you? You seem very angry.

Yes I am quite angry...WHAT????....

Yes, I think it takes a very angry person to take a crap on someone's self-esteem thread just because you happen to disagree that plus-sized people can feel good about themselves. Not only does that seem angry, but self-righteous and unkind.

Well my apologies to anyone I offended, but my advice is all the feel goody cr@p is a waste of time. Do the work.

Why do you think we joined MFP to begin with? Lol. Work doing!
  • Bumdrahp

I think most people are angry at you for interloping on a thread. Also, "true health" is not just physical health, but, also, mental and spirtual health. How is that going for you? You seem very angry.

Yes, I think it takes a very angry person to take a crap on someone's self-esteem thread just because you happen to disagree that plus-sized people can feel good about themselves. Not only does that seem angry, but self-righteous and unkind.

Well my apologies to anyone I offended, but my advice is all the feel goody cr@p is a waste of time. Do the work.

This is the part I don't get...we're all here, and from the looks of most of the comments that I've read, we're all "doing the work." It's been gettin' done.

You beat me!
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member

But that's just it...people ARE doing the work AND still don't see the need to hate themselves along the way. "Self-hatred is not equal to tough love". THat's what got you to your goal weight, but that's not how others roll.
  • jlwbeans0823
    jlwbeans0823 Posts: 178 Member
    _Wits_, you're awesome! :)
  • ckay220

But that's just it...people ARE doing the work AND still don't see the need to hate themselves along the way. "Self-hatred is not equal to tough love". THat's what got you to your goal weight, but that's not how others roll.
    precisely.
  • antizoni1
    antizoni1 Posts: 334

I got to roll with Lone_wolf on this one I think what he said got a little twisted, when I was 300lbs i was the life of the party, always keep people laughing alway upbeat and positive, but deep down inside I was not happy with the way I looked, We can sugar coat this all we want, but we all know when we lose weight and when we can get into smaller sizes we feel better, what some men think ( and they are Idiots) is that plus size women are easy lays because they have low self esteem and they are just glad that someone showed them some attention...No matter what your size is sometimes we all have self esteem issues
    For the record I said no such thing, but it is telling that by saying I dont like the word plus size or feeling sorry gets turned into that.
  • ckay220

• mlashay
    mlashay Posts: 166 Member
    As somebody else said, self esteem =/= complacent. I'm not complacent about being a fat *kitten*, but that also doesn't mean that I should just stay inside all the time because I'm so embarrassed by how I look. I have self esteem because I love myself, and because I love myself, I'm trying to make myself better.

Let the MFP church say AMEN!!!!!:love:
  • Bumdrahp
    ""Self-hatred is not equal to tough love". THat's what got you to your goal weight, but that's not how others roll."

Exactly.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    For the past four months I have been doing a hell of a lot work. Are you suggesting I not feel confident until I reach an acceptable non-fat size? Is that when it will be ok for me to love myself? Am I still a lazy self-hating person when i jog my *kitten* all over my neighborhood? Or am I only that when standing still?
  • mlashay
    I'm a dude and here are my thoughts on this whole sexy woman thing...

Sexy is not a size, shape, color, or piece of clothing.

Sexy is an inner attitude that is reflected outwardly to others.

It's an attitude that can be dialed up or down at will once you know how to use it.

And when you're using it right... you will be sexy and EVERYONE will know it!

Are you single??? :laugh:

That is exactly our point. Well said sir!
  • Bumdrahp
    Only thing I am unhappy about is all the skin on my belly.. *kitten* looks like an old ladies *kitten*!!!!
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Because a lot of us have low self esteem. It's a stereotype that I fulfill, sadly. Even after losing 70ish pounds, I still feel like the unattractive fat girl I used to be some days. I'm getting better but I struggle with those "down days." I still have 37 pounds to go until I hit my first goal so I gotta push through the sadness and not reach for the chocolate. :smile:
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    I'm a dude and here are my thoughts on this whole sexy woman thing...

Sexy is not a size, shape, color, or piece of clothing.

Sexy is an inner attitude that is reflected outwardly to others.

It's an attitude that can be dialed up or down at will once you know how to use it.

And when you're using it right... you will be sexy and EVERYONE will know it!

Are you single??? :laugh:

That is exactly our point. Well said sir!

I saw him first! :laugh:
  • mlashay
    I on the other hand choose to love myself and KEEP happy through my journey to a healthy weight and when I do reach it I will be even more happy that I kept such a positive attitude throughout that journey.

So what happens if you don't reach that goal? You're gonna beat yourself down? As a psych minor, I would be much more concerned for your mental well being than your weight, if that is the case.
  • anneerick
    anneerick Posts: 147 Member
    For me, self-esteem is not drawn from ones appearance alone. If you base your self-worth/esteem on only your looks then I believe the future will be a rough one. No matter what size you are, you can absolutely have a great self-esteem.

All sizes of people can draw self-esteem from beauty (as it is in the eyes of the beholder), intelligence, integrity, trustworthiness, loyalty, and all the other positive traits you possess.

On another note, self-esteem comes from within (*self*) not from other people. Please keep that in mind when you are reading negative posts.