Slowing down my eating speed?

Options
13»

Replies

• mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    eat with your opposite hand (it's surprising how hard this can be)

count to 40 while chewing each bite
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I have all of my food portioned out. I sit at the table with my plated meal, sometimes a salad, and a 16 oz beverage of choice. I eat what's on my plate and I don't go back for seconds. My husband is a recovering fast eater, lol! He now uses a smaller spoon and chews more.
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I used to inhale my food because I was hungry but since I added the 2 small snacks in between my main meals, I've slowed down considerably. :smile:
  • ritoosh
    ritoosh Posts: 190
    Options
    im usually a slow eater generally...but im usually super slow when i am watching tv or something and distracting myself. also when im out with friends i spend most of the time talking so i eat slower and get full faster. but its hard. you just need to remind urself to slow down. just count ur chews to start off with.
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    It's interesting how many folks drink with meals. This is something that I intentionally stopped doing so that I ate slower. I discovered that I was not chewing my food thoroughly before swallowing and simply 'washing it down' with liquid.
    While I do drink lots of water (about 10 glasses a day) I do not drink with meals - I stop drinking 1/2 hour before and don't drink again until 1/2 hour after. I have found that flavours seem more intense and I notice a lot more about the textures of my food.This was something I learned at a bariatric clinic - and I could go on and on about the benefits of not drinking with meals - but I won't.. I'll just encourage folks to try it for a week or so.
    All the best!
  • jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I was quite a slow eater before my surgery but now each small meal takes an hour and I chew everything very thoroughly or I face the uncomfortable consequences!! I also have to consider how my stomach is responding to food and to stop before I feel too full or again it will not be good!

I am much more aware of how much I am eating and how I eat it. That is something I didn't think about before I just ate what was on my plate then stopped.

Oh and the not drinking thing I find very tough as I always drank with food. However they say that if you drink too much with food it washes it through your stomach and stops you getting the full feeling when you should.

Small plate, small cutlery all work for me.
  • Shfiftyfive
    Options
    I have this same problem. Most of my family and friends aren't even half done by the time I finish my food.