Moms...looking for advice

2»

Replies

• I have three boys and I goto school as well and find time in the evening when my hubby gets off work or after I put kids to bed. What you can do is find a good time you want to work out and see if a friend/ neighbor will watch him while you work out at home. Its more ideal to do first thing and get it out of the way if you have the means to do it, otherwise you have to resort to doing it when the lights go out. My biggest challenge is this myself. Best bet is to find resources that can help and run with it. You will be surprised how much help is out there if you ask :)
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    I am no longer a SAHM but I am now a working mom. I feel like there is little time to do anything, so after the kids go to bed my husband and I work out. I do Jillian Michaels body revolution...she switches it up every day and then every 2 weeks so its never boring and it ONLY 30 minutes a day
  • racbergs
    racbergs Posts: 72
    I have a 20 month old. I usually set him up in his highchair for his mid morning snack and then I do my workout while he's eating. My workouts are only 20-30 minutes though and I do them right in my living room... and he loves watching me workout, he gets a kick out of it lol! And sometimes I even let him do my yoga with me :)
  • KellyL23
    KellyL23 Posts: 81 Member
    i have two kids, 5 and 2, and I work out after they go to bed. Luckily they are in bed by 7:30, so I usually lift weights in my basement, or if it is nice out, run outside. I am in the same boat, I live in Maine, and pretty soon it is going to be cold and dark by the time I get home from work. Not looking forward to it!
  • LERadicalDreamer
    LERadicalDreamer Posts: 61 Member
    I found a gym (the local YMCA) that offered free childcare for all children for two hours every day. I go to the gym and do my exercising while my kids socialize with friends. It's a great option for a SAHM, since they likely see kids less often than if they were in daycare, and I get to use an actual gym to do my workouts.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    I'm an early morning work out person... I work out at 6am. I go to the gym while my husband is getting ready for work so he's still home with the (sleeping, of course) kids and I have time to shower, etc before he goes to work. Some mornings it sucks to drag myself out of bed but it's done for the day, first thing, and I don't have to plan/think about it. I'm lucky enough to live somewhere that we can be outside all year.... it gets a little cold here some days in the "winter" but not really. I do take the kids to the park/on walks a lot but my morning gym time is MY time. I completely agree with the poster who said make time now and reserve your time!
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    My kids are finally both old enough to be in school this year. But before it was a matter of making the time. Sometimes that was waiting till my husband came home and I'd go to the gym. Or doing something with the xbox kinect and them joining me. Other times it was a run at 9pm in the dark cause the on post gyms were all closed. Its important to me, so I will find the time. You have equipment at home, use it whenever you can. Get up early if you are a morning person, or stay up later?
  • Pedalpush
    Pedalpush Posts: 246 Member
    So many great ideas! I just wanted to chime in my experience...

I am temporarily living with my inlaws' 2BR apt with my two boys (4yr & 18mo) while my husband is away for work. I'm taking advantage of their fitness center almost every night after the kids go to sleep. The in-laws hardly ever leave the apartment, so that works to my advantage. It's kind of like having the equipment at home... I love the escape, but sometimes the workout goes until 11:00pm or later - and I AM a morning person, but mornings are too unpredictable and the folks like to sleep in as much as possible.

You really have to sqeeze it in whenever possible. Stay motivated. A little is better than nothing. Keep a close eye on your intake and just make sure your output exceeds it.

You can do it mama!
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    It seems like you have everything available to you. Make time. I have a 3 year old and a 1 1/2 year old, and I am a SAHM. I take both children for walks. One is in a stroller the other is walking next to me. We walk trails and always end at the park, where we have a picnic (healthy packed lunch=Win and keeps kids happy and not cranky). If I want to workout at home I do it with my daughters around. They either play with some toys and giggle at me or I let them watch a movie. Nap is also a win. It's not as hard as it seems. Once you get a routine you'll be fine.
  • lokisadie
    lokisadie Posts: 14 Member
    Thanks so much everybody-lots of great suggestions. I can see that most of you have a lot less time than me, so I know I can make it work. Next time I don't think I can do it, I will think of those of you with kids and working full-time or going to school.
  • Dandawa
    Dandawa Posts: 97
    I hear ya. I am in Canada too Ontario and have really started like big bike rides. I am looking forward to be strong to kick it hard in Oct doing turbo jam. I am a SAHM to mostly also sell Real Estate and have a 2.5 year old, 6 year old and 13 with great hubby. We eat different meals cause I am veggie and they are not. I sometimes go at a 6 am when all are sleeping, or once they are all down, or if they are busy together I can sometimes get something short in but mostly its when they sleep.