Cheat DAY works!!! did they work for you too?

Options

Replies

• alane15
    alane15 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    my cheat day is called the weekend, and I don't think it's working ;)
  • Jdogg99
    Jdogg99 Posts: 1
    Options
    I prefer the 'zig zag' method to rock off a plateau - and this is what has worked for me.

go from my usual 1200/day to maybe 1800 for one day, back down to 1500 the next, back to 1200 the next etc... etc.. until the plateau breaks. thats what works for ME - but i suppose everyone will be different. i guess whatever works for each individual.
  • BrewerFan2
    Options
    Cheat days are nice, I agree that we all need to have a cheat day or at least a cheat treat for one day of the week. I always say I'm going to have one whole day to cheat and I tell my hubby that, then he makes fun of me because I'm still careful. But seriously, I cheated last Friday and had the ribs he cooked on the grill and ate til I was full (4 ribs worth), but my big cheat was having cotton candy from the fair, it was the first and only time this year, I swear. It's our anniversary this week and I will cheat maybe once or twice this week. But, I do notice that when I do cheat it seems to boost my metabolism a bit. So I have to workout a little bit harder, oh well it will be worth it.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    IMHO eating 8000 to 13000 calories in a "cheat day" binge is really not representative of a healthy relationship with food. Food should NOT be a reward for disciplined eating. There are plenty of other ways to reward yourself.

I personally don't take "cheat" days because in reality I believe I'd only be cheating myself out of progress. I do occasionally eat a couple scoops of ice cream or something on particularly hard workout days to catch up on my calories. However, you've obviously lost a lot of weight and if it works for you then so be it, but I think you should explore your relationship with food a little deeper.

I get what you are saying, and this is great advise. I feel as though I've found a good relationship with how i eat at this point though. I do also fit in healthy foods like fruit and vegetables on my cheat days along with my ice cream. though i eat the ice cream by the carton... i do feel energized for the entire wrek after though. I'm an avid runner and I like to do about 10 miles every morning and lift in the afternoons.

I hope you have. I would caution that I used to run A LOT and bike a lot as well. If you exercise habits ever change then you really need to review your caloric intake. I had a herniated disc which shut me down for 1.5 years and after not really getting back into it 3 years later I was 45 lbs overweight. That's about 145 calories per day too much or 2 chocolate chip cookies every other day.
  • lobo_a_gogo
    lobo_a_gogo Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I feel like this would never work for me. Cheating would just make me feel bad about myself.
  • spidertheman
    spidertheman Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    IMHO eating 8000 to 13000 calories in a "cheat day" binge is really not representative of a healthy relationship with food. Food should NOT be a reward for disciplined eating. There are plenty of other ways to reward yourself.

I personally don't take "cheat" days because in reality I believe I'd only be cheating myself out of progress. I do occasionally eat a couple scoops of ice cream or something on particularly hard workout days to catch up on my calories. However, you've obviously lost a lot of weight and if it works for you then so be it, but I think you should explore your relationship with food a little deeper.

I get what you are saying, and this is great advise. I feel as though I've found a good relationship with how i eat at this point though. I do also fit in healthy foods like fruit and vegetables on my cheat days along with my ice cream. though i eat the ice cream by the carton... i do feel energized for the entire wrek after though. I'm an avid runner and I like to do about 10 miles every morning and lift in the afternoons.

I hope you have. I would caution that I used to run A LOT and bike a lot as well. If you exercise habits ever change then you really need to review your caloric intake. I had a herniated disc which shut me down for 1.5 years and after not really getting back into it 3 years later I was 45 lbs overweight. That's about 145 calories per day too much or 2 chocolate chip cookies every other day.

I actually recently had surgery on my neck and couldn't work out for about a month. I actually lost weight faster in this time for some reason. even with the cheat day. not too sure why though. maybe it had something to do with the medication i had to take after the surgery or something.
  • bpotts44
    Options
    I've found pain killers will make you sick to your stomach. When I had knee surgery I decided just to deal with the pain as the percoset made me so sick.
  • curtnrod
    curtnrod Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    And no offense but you're male and 21 years old. You still have a teenage metabolism. Try that *kitten* when you're 40 and see how well it works. :P
    ^^This^^
    When I was 21 I ate 7000 calorie meals with no problems, but I was extremely active in multi-sports and could easily burn the calories. I don't have "cheat days" I eat anything I want in moderation and choose healthier foods and it works for me. As Side Steel stated, you may want to be a little more careful with how you state your position because promoting bingeing may encourage people who haven't the means to burn those extra calories to engage in this behavior and expect the same results you've had.

Congratulations on your 100lb + weight loss, that's truly a commendable accomplishment.
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    If you're calling it a "cheat" does that mean it's wrong? That's the implication that I get from what people post. I don't cheat, I eat what I want when I want to make it. Home made burgers over fast food burgers. I bake cookies from scratch. More because I'm a Kiwi living in the USA and I'm not really that fond of the cookies here. I miss my chocolate covered biscuits from Griffins. I totally get the whole boost to the metabolic system that eating a lot of food does. But 8k plus calories? Damn hard to get my head around. But as a lot of other posters have stated, you do what works for you. I love my fries and I will eat them when I want them.

I like that this post hasn't attracted too much negative nasty comments. More along the lines of a very interesting discussion. Happy journeys everyone.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I use this method in my weightloss journey.... For those that say they don't deprive themselves so they don't believe in cheating, that is all fine and well... do what works for you but for me (not so much now) in the beginning at 560 lbs. and eating well over 8000 calories a day I was totally out of control.. I ate by the box (not the packages) of oreos, little debbies, etc. and by the bag fulls (not portioned servings) of chips, doritoes, etc... My Friday night standing order for supper was a 21 inch pizza with extra Pep and cheese, a 14 inch deluxe pizza with extra cheese, 2 boxes of little debbies swiss cakes, and a half gallon of chocolate milk and a 2 liter of Mt Dew.... I would not go to bed that evening until it was all gone because I was afraid my wife would then be able to tell me I had leftovers for Saturday... So when I finally hit rock bottom and worked with my doctors and they put me on a 2400 calorie a day meal plan.. We brought in 2 - 32 gallon trash cans and empty the house of ALL trigger foods and filled our fridge and cupboards with healthy options.... My nutritionist knew to keep me focus through out the week I needed to be allowed a couple cheat meals.. The rules for those meals was they had to be eaten out, I could have whatever I wanted of the menu, but it had to be eaten there and nothing was to be brought home... This concept work very well with me (well I had major social phobia so the first year we sat in the car and ate the meal because I just could not go in to eat..) Heck I had not stepped foot in a store in over 7 years back then) Now fast forward to today and I enjoy going out to eat with my wife, and the same system has worked through this whole process so I continue it today... I can now have things in the house and eat them in moderation if I so choose (most time I don't care for any of those foods anymore and prefer the other things I have come use to having) but Saturday is my cheat day and I will normally do a lunch and dinner on that day with a trip to the movies (popcorn) or to DQ for ice cream.. Pretty much my day off and then Sunday I wake up and am right back on point and ready to tackle my goals for the week... This isn't for everyone but I have lost an average of 100 lbs. a year for 3 straight years using this method so for me it works..... Best of Luck....
  • sunsetbeach1
    sunsetbeach1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    And no offense but you're male and 21 years old. You still have a teenage metabolism. Try that *kitten* when you're 40 and see how well it works. :P

Agreed!!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Age doesn't make someone exempt from thermodynamics.
  • spidertheman
    spidertheman Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I use this method in my weightloss journey.... For those that say they don't deprive themselves so they don't believe in cheating, that is all fine and well... do what works for you but for me (not so much now) in the beginning at 560 lbs. and eating well over 8000 calories a day I was totally out of control.. I ate by the box (not the packages) of oreos, little debbies, etc. and by the bag fulls (not portioned servings) of chips, doritoes, etc... My Friday night standing order for supper was a 21 inch pizza with extra Pep and cheese, a 14 inch deluxe pizza with extra cheese, 2 boxes of little debbies swiss cakes, and a half gallon of chocolate milk and a 2 liter of Mt Dew.... I would not go to bed that evening until it was all gone because I was afraid my wife would then be able to tell me I had leftovers for Saturday... So when I finally hit rock bottom and worked with my doctors and they put me on a 2400 calorie a day meal plan.. We brought in 2 - 32 gallon trash cans and empty the house of ALL trigger foods and filled our fridge and cupboards with healthy options.... My nutritionist knew to keep me focus through out the week I needed to be allowed a couple cheat meals.. The rules for those meals was they had to be eaten out, I could have whatever I wanted of the menu, but it had to be eaten there and nothing was to be brought home... This concept work very well with me (well I had major social phobia so the first year we sat in the car and ate the meal because I just could not go in to eat..) Heck I had not stepped foot in a store in over 7 years back then) Now fast forward to today and I enjoy going out to eat with my wife, and the same system has worked through this whole process so I continue it today... I can now have things in the house and eat them in moderation if I so choose (most time I don't care for any of those foods anymore and prefer the other things I have come use to having) but Saturday is my cheat day and I will normally do a lunch and dinner on that day with a trip to the movies (popcorn) or to DQ for ice cream.. Pretty much my day off and then Sunday I wake up and am right back on point and ready to tackle my goals for the week... This isn't for everyone but I have lost an average of 100 lbs. a year for 3 straight years using this method so for me it works..... Best of Luck....

Inspiration right there! ^
  • IceDragon72
    Options
    I'm glad it's working for you, but I'm just wondering how you eat 8,000 calories or more on this cheat day???
    I ate 4000-5000 calories a day sedentary for about three years, hence where I am today. And back then, I ate a LOT of fast food, junk food, soda, etc. I guess if you're drinking a couple two liters of pop, it'll get ya there... :laugh:
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Agreed....... I am 42 years young and have no problems with the *kitten* working as you put it..... lol....
  • Xstitcher74
    Xstitcher74 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • ckay220
    ckay220 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    bump
  • curtnrod
    curtnrod Posts: 223 Member
    Options

Agreed, however metabolism generally slows with age. Everyone is different, some people's metabolisms don't slow and others do. Depending on your choice of fuel and amount of exercise, you can raise your metabolism to a high level and burn large amounts of calories at any age. It's just much easier when you're 21...
  • bpotts44
    Options

Ed, you are quite an inspiration and your advice on "cheat" days is great.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options

:happy: Agreed!!