Cheat DAY works!!! did they work for you too?

Options

Replies

• curvyvegan
    curvyvegan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a very disordered eating pattern to me. You shouldn't be cutting calories so significantly on a daily basis that you can't enjoy some treats now and then. Severe restriction for six days followed by severe binging on the 7th day sounds incredibly unhealthy, both psychologically and physically.
  • SkinnyChemicals
    Options
    No. Everyday is a Cheat day for me. I don't eat healthily most of the time and eat processed foods for nearly every meal but they fit my macro-nutrients and my calories. Its working well for me.

I sometimes eat healthily when my mother or father cooks because they're quite healthy people but if they don't then the only vegetables I normally eat are in a microwave meal.:ohwell:

I'm 18 and I know my body couldn't handle 8k to 13k at the moment, though if its working for you then fine. Eating like that would definitely destroy all my progress for the week.
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Never had one so I wouldnt know.

http://freew67.blogspot.com/
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I call them treat days. I pick something I really want or don't eat that often and treat myself to it. I don't see it as cheating when I keep at the gym and work hard to lose the pounds.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I usually do it to avoid addiction. you should try buying only the amount you want to eat. that way, once you eat it on cheat day, its all gone so you don't worry about breaking down during the week. I shop for cheat day either in the early morning of cheat day or the night before and only buy what i will eat that day.

That, my friend, is called moderation.

I don't think the majority of people are against cheat days because they "don't work" but because much of the way we think of "cheat days" or cheat meals is detrimental in mindset. If having one day to splurge works for you that's great. My personal method includes having something indulgent most days, eat to my calories (within 50 +/- rather than always under), and having 1 or 2 days a week where I allow myself to moderately splurge with friends or family. Many people would see that as a 'cheat'.

It's all about how you define the rules you work with.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    And no offense but you're male and 21 years old. You still have a teenage metabolism. Try that *kitten* when you're 40 and see how well it works. :P

:happy: Agreed!!

This is a recurring thing for me. No offense to the under 30 crowd, but what works for you now *may not* work for you when you're older. Using myself as an example, I ate a horrible "whatever I want" diet, but was "ripped" through my 20s...and was never actually fat at any point in my life. (I just decided that I didn't like the trend I was on as a slightly soft 40 yo.)

I'm not saying you have to stop sharing what works for you, I'm just saying that this little difference might be affecting your results...

...(and yes, I can hear those who *have been* or *are* fat telling me to zip it because I've never had a serious weight problem so I can't relate to their situation...and they have a point).
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I think I do more of a cheat meal than a cheat day. I have noticed some decent losses after a weekend of booze and carbs then getting back on track on Monday and showing a 1/2-1 1/2 pound loss by Wednesday. It however does not work for me on a consistent basis. I have to be good for at least three weeks before i can try this approach and get the results I want
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I probably should have cheat days. It would make me feel better about pigging out haha
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    And no offense but you're male and 21 years old. You still have a teenage metabolism. Try that *kitten* when you're 40 and see how well it works. :P

Age doesn't make someone exempt from thermodynamics.
    Agreed, however metabolism generally slows with age. Everyone is different, some people's metabolisms don't slow and others do. Depending on your choice of fuel and amount of exercise, you can raise your metabolism to a high level and burn large amounts of calories at any age. It's just much easier when you're 21...

Just about everything is easier at 21, except common sense. :laugh:

Even at a buffet, I can't imagine squeezing in more than 4-5k calories. I would have to barf it all up, then smoke a fat bowl to get hungry again, then barf again.....but a 21 year old guy, hmmm, I guess I can see as high as 8K, if you are drinking a lot of those calories. But the OP said up to 13K. I want to see that diary entry. :wink:
  • Cristofori44
    Options
    I have read there may be something to restoring leptin levels by having a day to go over on calories if you have been depriving yourself and reducing your caloric intake drastically.

But I don't believe a13,000 calorie binge is healthy, nor do I believe the math that you managed to lose weight with a 3,000cal deficit for the week and a 13,000cal binge on one day.

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options

This is a recurring thing for me. No offense to the under 30 crowd, but what works for you now *may not* work for you when you're older. Using myself as an example, I ate a horrible "whatever I want" diet, but was "ripped" through my 20s...and was never actually fat at any point in my life. (I just decided that I didn't like the trend I was on as a slightly soft 40 yo.)

I'm not saying you have to stop sharing what works for you, I'm just saying that this little difference might be affecting your results...

...(and yes, I can hear those who *have been* or *are* fat telling me to zip it because I've never had a serious weight problem so I can't relate to their situation...and they have a point).

I think this is a recurring point on the boards- we base a lot of assumptions on limited empirical "data" that is personal experience and the experiences of those around us (who are more likely to be similar to us than different). The reality is you really have to gain an understanding of your body and your mental relationship with food. I like you never really felt as though I had a serious weight problem, but really needed to learn my limits as far as intake (especially being on the rather petite side).

Anyway, I very much concur and am baffled at why everyone thinks that their way is the ONLY way, and why it has to be the only one.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I usually do it to avoid addiction. you should try buying only the amount you want to eat. that way, once you eat it on cheat day, its all gone so you don't worry about breaking down during the week. I shop for cheat day either in the early morning of cheat day or the night before and only buy what i will eat that day.

That, my friend, is called moderation.

I don't think the majority of people are against cheat days because they "don't work" but because much of the way we think of "cheat days" or cheat meals is detrimental in mindset. If having one day to splurge works for you that's great. My personal method includes having something indulgent most days, eat to my calories (within 50 +/- rather than always under), and having 1 or 2 days a week where I allow myself to moderately splurge with friends or family. Many people would see that as a 'cheat'.

It's all about how you define the rules you work with.

Yes, when indulging your cravings with a moderate amount of your favorite treat, then it can't be called cheating because it is part of your regular diet. That's how I see it. I quit binge drinking many years ago, and I have no desire to start a binge eating habit. I just eat what I want every day. I do the math and make it work. It's more sustainable to me. My current diet is something that I can sustain for the rest of my life. That's my goal.
  • SkinnyChemicals
    Options
    What do you exactly eat when your clocking up 8k to 13k worth of calories..? I'd really want to know.
  • tigletcann
    Options
    I'm female, 18 and when 10 stone 6.5 pounds. When I was younger I was stupid and starved myself and as a result my body went into 'starvation mode' where metabolism slowed down considerably and food I ate got stored as fat. Since then I've developed a much better appetite for food and went from being 6 stone and borderline anorexic to the weight I am now. I started this diet tracker on Saturday realising that my eating was getting out of control. Would it still be suitable for me to have a 'cheat' day considering these previous problems?? If I earned these extra calories throughout the week by exercising?
  • Rinkermann
    Rinkermann Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    im just focussed on weight loss right now, but i'll be trying a cheat day when i reach goal weight. still, even on a cheat day i can't see me managing to go over 3000 calories and I'll probably make it a saturday so i can go for a run or swim in the morning.

i guess before MFP i would've easily eaten 3000+ calories. lets face it it's just a pizza & chips with a few beers and snacks thrown in, or even just one indian takeaway. however, i'm just not as addicted to sugar as i used to be, and i've learnt how to incorporate 'bad' foods into my diet in moderation.

there isn't really anything i can't have, it just takes a bit of planning in my food diary.
  • spidertheman
    spidertheman Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    What do you exactly eat when your clocking up 8k to 13k worth of calories..? I'd really want to know.

Usually a couple calzones, 1.5lbs of wings, onion rings, fries, Hersey bars, Oreos, fruit and veggies, pasta, pizza, frozen yogurt and other various frozen dessert treats. And yes, that's all in a day. Also cookie dough. Love cookie dough.
  • spidertheman
    Options
    This sounds like a very disordered eating pattern to me. You shouldn't be cutting calories so significantly on a daily basis that you can't enjoy some treats now and then. Severe restriction for six days followed by severe binging on the 7th day sounds incredibly unhealthy, both psychologically and physically.

I never restrict myself on the healthy eating days. I just eat a lot more vegetables that are very low in calories and a good chunk of protein for dinner. That way I still get vary full for very few calories. I also drink a couple gallons of water throughout the day which helps curb hunger as well.
  • spidertheman
    Options
    I'm female, 18 and when 10 stone 6.5 pounds. When I was younger I was stupid and starved myself and as a result my body went into 'starvation mode' where metabolism slowed down considerably and food I ate got stored as fat. Since then I've developed a much better appetite for food and went from being 6 stone and borderline anorexic to the weight I am now. I started this diet tracker on Saturday realising that my eating was getting out of control. Would it still be suitable for me to have a 'cheat' day considering these previous problems?? If I earned these extra calories throughout the week by exercising?

Of course, just start out small with something your comfortable with. There's no need to rush into a cheat day if you think it may cause you problems. Like I said before, it may not be for everyone. All I know is that it's great for me and fits my lifestyle perfectly. Just be happy with your diet. Thats all you have to worry about.
  • StoutGirl09
    StoutGirl09 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    YES!! You need those days to kinda "confuse" your body out of that normal schedule, its a great way to get over a point you've been stuck at!
  • SkinnyChemicals
    Options

Usually a couple calzones, 1.5lbs of wings, onion rings, fries, Hersey bars, Oreos, fruit and veggies, pasta, pizza, frozen yogurt
    and other various frozen dessert treats. And yes, that's all in a day. Also cookie dough. Love cookie dough.

Don't you feel like your forcing food down though? I've shrunk my portions down considerably and I'm pretty sure I've shrunk my stomach a little so even slowly eating a cup of broccoli can fill me up for around an hour. If I ate a whole calzone I'd be be pretty stuffed...but if you handle it then enjoy them delicious calories! :drinker: