I'm Ready To Give Up

Options
Jacwhite22
Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
I went on vacation for a long weekend.....4 measly days and I come back today and weigh and I've gained 8 lbs.......This is ridiculous. You work hard for like 2 months to lose 8 lbs and gain it all back within a couple days. This is so ridiculous. I think I'm done trying. I just don't have the energy to fight this battle. How do you all get the motivation to keep going? I thought if I watched Rocky/Braveheart it would get be back on track but I just don't have it in me anymore.

Replies

• PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    I went on vacation for a long weekend.....4 measly days and I come back today and weigh and I've gained 8 lbs.......This is ridiculous. You work hard for like 2 months to lose 8 lbs and gain it all back within a couple days. This is so ridiculous. I think I'm done trying. I just don't have the energy to fight this battle. How do you all get the motivation to keep going? I thought if I watched Rocky/Braveheart it would get be back on track but I just don't have it in me anymore.

I usually watch Aliens... Just watching the thing pop out of the guys chest makes me not want to eat anymore.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    8lbs of AWESOME
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Throw your scale away... It lies and is not a good indicator of your fitness level. IMO
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    In order to gain 8 actual pounds of fat you would have had to eat at a surplus of 7,000 calories a day for that 4 days.

It's highly unlikely that this weight gain is all fat, in fact a lot of it is probably water retention - did you eat a lot of salty food while on vacation, or not drink as much water as usual (or both!?)?

Drink plenty of water for a couple of days, stick with your routine, and you'll probably see most or all of that 8 pounds vanish as mysteriously as it appeared.
  • Captain_Spatchcock
    Options
    This probably happened to you because you ate grains .
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Jac,
    I am just so distressed at your thoughts of giving up. You have been an inspiration to me from day 1 in MFP and I have decided to follow in your footsteps as the 2nd cross dressing roller derby competitor. If you can inspire just one person it is not a waste.

The chidren are the future!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    In order to gain 8 actual pounds of fat you would have had to eat at a surplus of 7,000 calories a day for that 4 days.

It's highly unlikely that this weight gain is all fat, in fact a lot of it is probably water retention - did you eat a lot of salty food while on vacation, or not drink as much water as usual (or both!?)?

Drink plenty of water for a couple of days, stick with your routine, and you'll probably see most or all of that 8 pounds vanish as mysteriously as it appeared.
    You haven't seen this fat *kitten*'s diary. Seriously, what a chunker.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    If you're eating crap, you're probably retaining water and other stuff and your number is inaccurate. It takes 3,500 calories unburned to gain a single pound of lasting body weight. Don't get discouraged, weigh yourself again in a week when you're back on track and you'll see those 8 pounds magically vanish. Your weight can fluctuate up to 10lbs over the course of a day, so the scale is often not the best indicator of your progress.
  • Mama_Mila
    Mama_Mila Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    It's all water weight...all of it. No worries.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

I see the problem. You're standards are set too high. Those guys are already in shape. I suggest starting with Half Baked. That way you will be encouraged just to get up off the couch.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    This probably happened to you because you ate grains .

no, I'm pretty sure it was sugar. sugar is bad.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. I ate a pound of raw butter and when I stepped on the scale, I was pound heavier. WTF!!!!???!!!
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I checked your diary. LOTS of salty, greasy, fried foods. (Vacation foods, for sure.) Probably mostly water retention... start back up with healthy eating and I'm sure you'll be where you were before you left in a few weeks. You probably did gain something, but not eight pounds. :) Don't give up.
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    I ate 7k over maintenance each day so I get it.....I deserve it. I'm just pissed. How do you keep from doing that? I mean don't you ever want to eat without counting every calorie.....and yeah...It's not just the scale.....I also took measurements and gained like 6".....and not in the "good way"
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Is Aunt Flo or TOM here????
  • LadyIvysMom
    LadyIvysMom Posts: 391 Member
    Options

Wow...
  • Sirxx99
    Sirxx99 Posts: 43
    Options
    If you give up you will be unhappy.. If you gain 10-20 more lbs you will ask why did you give up on yourself. Vactions are an expectation you will gain... Agreed with a previous comment... it is likely water retention... It should be your motivation to burn it off. When it comes on that quick it will come off if you work hard. If losing weight was easy everyone would be thin... If you fall 9 times get back up 10.. If you never get back up you'll never go anywhere.
  • Jacwhite22
    Options

Wow...

No...she's right........I am..... But I love food.....
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    8lbs of AWESOME

I second that!!
  • gdavidm
    gdavidm Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just got back from an 8 day vacation where I ate a buffet meal for each meal and I did not reign myself in at all. I set back my weight loss by 3 weeks but that is still a win in my book. Had I not worked out for those 3 weeks and lost the weight that I put on in one week then I would be in worse shape now. I would have still gone on that vacation and I would have still eatin like crap but I would not have had the 3 weeks prep for it and I would not have been able to rebound from it all. I would have still been going up. I weigh myself alomst every day just becauase I am very analytical and I need to do that, but I only log in my weight once a week and I am just focused on an overall trend. At the end of the day I still feel better today than I did before my vacation and much better than I did 6 months ago. This journey of ours is not measure in weeks but in months and years and ulitmately for the rest of our lives. Vacations will come and go and wieght will go up and down but keep moving and keep making smarter decisions every day.

By the way I gained 5 pounds in the 1 week on vacation but within 3 days returning I had lost 3 of them. A lot of it is water weight. Keep you head up and just start over every day.