Treadmill vs outdoor running ??

Options
13»

Replies

• Strongisthenewskny
    Strongisthenewskny Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I live in Texas, so the weather is always nice! Don't get me wrong, it's usually hot, but that just means more calories burned! I hate the treadmill!! They say running outside is hard on the joints, but running in general COULD cause joint problems. I use the outdoors as my gym, I don't have a gym membership or anything! I LOVE the outdoors, and I use anything for gym equipment. (Ex: picnic tables for toe taps).
  • clouxles
    clouxles Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Don't run but love my bike... With winter somewhere in the near future a spinning (indoor) class may be in order. Nothing better than fresh air.
  • beccabur
    Options
    A friend who is a doctor pointed out something is should be obvious.
    One must run 2 miles on a treadmill to equal the effort on the ground.
    Two factors. Wind resistance increases the faster you move and you are moving yourself over the ground versus the tread moving under you. Calculators that claim the same burn per mile for both are wrong. It is simple physics.

Not being snarky but could you show us the math? I can see the effect of wind resistance etc but 2 for 1?

Here is a chart that quantifies the difference on a treadmill based on pace/incline. It is not a 2 for 1 or even close, but it is different. For instance a 5.0 pace (12:00 mile) on a treadmill with 0% incline is more like 12:30 min mile. But increase the incline just a degree or two, you are quickly at the equivalent of a 9 or 10 minute mile!

http://www.hillrunner.com/training/tmillchart.php
  • maspicantexfa
    maspicantexfa Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am a nerd, so outside and I do not really get along. Texas heat, wind, no sidewalks, humidity, bugs, creepy people in vans ... and since I'm just a newbie to running I prefer the consistency of the treadmill. I can watch the time just by looking down and not having to rely on a stopwatch, and I know exactly how far I am running. From the amount of sweat I generate and the heart rate average of 170 I think that the machine is NOT doing the work for me. Maybe when I am thinner and more fit I would have a different answer ... but damn I hate being outdoors in general. I'd like to be an "active person" but I would rather not interface with nature any more than necessary.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    ...but running in general COULD cause joint problems.

This myth has been completely debunked. Studies show no increase in joint problems in life long runners compared to non runners and it some cases have shown improvement to joint conditions in life long runners.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    A friend who is a doctor pointed out something is should be obvious.
    One must run 2 miles on a treadmill to equal the effort on the ground.
    Two factors. Wind resistance increases the faster you move and you are moving yourself over the ground versus the tread moving under you. Calculators that claim the same burn per mile for both are wrong. It is simple physics.

Not being snarky but could you show us the math? I can see the effect of wind resistance etc but 2 for 1?

Here is a chart that quantifies the difference on a treadmill based on pace/incline. It is not a 2 for 1 or even close, but it is different. For instance a 5.0 pace (12:00 mile) on a treadmill with 0% incline is more like 12:30 min mile. But increase the incline just a degree or two, you are quickly at the equivalent of a 9 or 10 minute mile!

http://www.hillrunner.com/training/tmillchart.php

Changing the incline is changing the incline. A 2% grade outside is going to be the same as a 2% grade on the treadmill. They will both have the same impact on pace or exertion.
  • vienna26
    vienna26 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thanks again everyone your inputs has been very helpful, i dont just run for exercise as i do geniunely enjoy a good run have done since my teens, when id head to the fields and run round them and being at one with nature!!

As ive got older just gotten into a habit of jumping on the treadmill as i have two lil girls so was easier for me, im definatley going to start going outside more as often as i can though reading all your comments just reminds me of how i used to enjoy it myself!! :-)))
  • tracy63janis
    Options
    I used to run outside, but then I blew my IT band and my achilles. After the required break, I started on the treadmill then tried outside. My Achilles would not hold for long outside, but on the treadmill I can go go go! I look at it as at least I am moving.
  • tamtamzz
    tamtamzz Posts: 142
    Options
    I like and use both, but to me, running on the treadmill is somewhat easier.

Where I run outside there are slight inclines, uneven payment, sometimes I have to run in the street if someone is taking up the whole sidewalk, or if I decide to cross the street if I see a rather ominous looking pet. There is a part of my run where I actually have to do a little bit of prancing and ducking. The treadmill keeps my pace steady. That's not so easy outside, at least it isn't for me.

I live in the northeast, so the treadmill will always be a part of my repertoire. While I can run in the cold, (well, reasonably cold) I can't run when there's snow on the ground, with an inch of ice underneath it.